FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all... let me say howdy to you all as this is my first posting on this particular forum. Unfortunately it is not for good news. My father allowed me to borrow his FS2000 for a Carbine Match I was shooting in with IDPA. Well on the very first stage the front portion of the charging handle broke off. I had two magazine changes and at the end of the round I cleared my weapon and showed the RSO a clear chamber. When I lowered my rifle the piece in question fell to the ground. When I picked it up the plastic tab with the hole in it (next to the catch) was barely hanging on and then fell of in my hands. This is not the first time I have fired this weapon but I would say it only had about 150 rounds put through it... 100 of them from me. Needless to say... my father is going to kill me!!! Ha, I am 33 years old and I am still scared of him! :( Anyway, I have included some pictures below, but let me apologize for the crappy phone pics... it is all I have at the moment.

I will be contacting FNH USA on Monday... I hope they will send me a replacement ASAP. This gun has never been abused and I believe this is certainly a manufacturing defect. Anyway... I leave this for you all to discuss. What Say Ye? Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
114 Posts
havent seen this happen before, this is new to me.

as for FN-USA support, just call Bob. he'll get you fixed up.

it might take a while though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
damn, sux. let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
havent seen this happen before, this is new to me.

as for FN-USA support, just call Bob. he'll get you fixed up.

it might take a while though.
Thanks for the advice. What is Bob's last name? I assume he is someone at FNH USA who can help me with my issue. Can he be reached at FNH USA Service Department - Phone: 800-635-1321?

P.S. Why are the quotes not working on this board? Admin, I think the post number may be missing from the quote header. Example:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bob Ailes
Customer Support Manager
PO Box 697
McLean, VA 22101
T: 703-288-1292 ext-122
F: 703-288-1730

That is the man that you will want to speak to.

I have seen a couple posts from different folks on other boards about that part of the CH breaking. One from use, one right out of the box at the dealer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't had it break on mine yet, but I bought a spare just in case. I think it's $60 for the full assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't had it break on mine yet, but I bought a spare just in case. I think it's $60 for the full assembly.
Where did you get it from, and would you sell me yours? I am in a bind for time!!!

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
USAF_GroundRat said:
P.S. Why are the quotes not working on this board? Admin, I think the post number may be missing from the quote header. Example: Do U use Internet explorer?

The quotes work fine for me in Opera and Firefox - but as I read people's posts, I am forever fixing the quote tags for people - If U use IE, you need to remove the person's name - and just have the opening quote tag say
That will fix it. We are not sure what the problem is. It started when we redid the main page.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got it by calling FNH USA parts department. Took about 20 minutes for them to find the part number, and then the person who pulled it thought the kits were bundled pieces, so they ripped open the kit-bag and sent me one little part of the kit instead of the whole thing. Then, when I got the little piece, it took another 20 minutes on the phone for them to figure out what happened and sent me the rest of the parts to complete the kit. I had to literally fight with the girl in parts to figure it out while I was on the phone, she just wanted me to send it back so they could figure everything out, then send me a new one...man that was frustrating. Needless to say I'm not impressed with the FNH USA parts department.

If I had 2, I would send you one, but, I hold pretty tight to stuff like this when I only have one, just how I am, nothing personal.

If you call them tomorrow, AND they have it, I'm sure they will FEDEX it to you for Wednesday. Unfortunately, the part is packed away (somewhere) in the FS2K parts bin, so I can't even help you out with the part number.

During the original call to order the charging-handle assembly, I asked about the availability of other spare parts for the FS2K and she said she had no idea what they have...I would have to provide part numbers that she could look up...well organized, eh?

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
{snip} If you call them tomorrow, AND they have it, I'm sure they will FEDEX it to you for Wednesday. Unfortunately, the part is packed away (somewhere) in the FS2K parts bin, so I can't even help you out with the part number. {snip}
That is what I did... I ordered it from FNH USA today... 2nd day air. The parts person I spoke to knew it was a few bags of parts. I bought the whole assembly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed it... it was damn easy. Just a small warning... when you take the rear part of the charging handle off of the metal guide (or operating rod cap, for lack of a better description) do not lose the metal springs that push the metal tombstone like catch on the back. They will fly out when you push the smaller pin out. Hard to explain unless you are looking at it... but suffice it to say... if you want to re-use those springs, just watch out upon dis-assembly. I am glad I bought the whole kit. After comparing it to the new handle I notice that the front "fangs" were sheared off the back piece. I never saw this happening, but something must have went really wrong somewhere on that first stage of the match. Anyway... it is fixed and my life may be spared! :lol:

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is something I have always been worried about glad to hear it all worked out well for you.

Im going to order a spare one soon just in case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That happened to mine last year too, but it took a retired marine to do that to mine. Bob was good to deal with, although he insisted the unit be sent in for repair. I did get a prepaid UPS slip along with a shirt and hat though...

So we can order the part now?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts