FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Nothing like stuck round in the chamber to ruin your day at the range! Worse, try to get it out without a shell extractor and ripping the head off!! On my FIRST shot!!

I was shooting some Tulammo .308 150 Grain FMJ (Bi-Metal) Steel Case but I can't fault the ammo really... I hadn't shot my SCAR in like 6 months or so (yeah I know... lame) and I'm pretty sure I had not cleaned it before putting it away in the safe. I had shot some of that Tulammo before without any issue and it was actually surprisingly accurate.

Of course there was one dude at the range that day saying it's because I shouldn't fire a .308 round in a 7.62x51 chamber
"too much pressure man"
:-/ Anyhow, long story short, I got it out once I got home (not gonna forget to keep that sucker in my range bag ever again ha!!) using a C. J. WEAPONS ACC. - BROKEN SHELL EXTRACTOR and cleaned the sh*t out of the rifle.

Now the question is, is there anything I should do/consider before taking it back to the range and shoot the SCAR? I did a function check with a live round, it chambered and ejected without problem and I couldn't see any marks/scratches on the brass case.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Yep /\. Isn't the first I have heard of this and won't be the last. I am trying to think of the last time I heard about wolf or brown bear doing this...??? Same factory. Hmmmm wierd.

·
Registered
757 Posts

I was shooting some Tulammo .308 150 Grain FMJ (Bi-Metal) Steel Case but I can't fault the ammo really...
Adding to the pile...but yeah...yeah you can actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
Clean your weapon and use brass ammo. My most recent trip to the range had a similar problem. Buddy had a brand new AR and it kept jamming with a live round in the chamber.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey, if you are intent to shoot a very expensive rifle on the cheap, at least stick to good quality mil surplus. So far I've had good luck with quality 7.62x51 surplus ball ammo from known/good countries. Even though I don't own one(M1A), I find the data in the Ammunition section of the M14 Forums very useful.

·
Registered
609 Posts
you might be a scootched overgassed or just an out of spec case. ripping case heads off has little to do with how dirty or clean the chamber is but entirely with how much force is applied to the case as the pressure is dropping in the chamber and how strong the case web is or if its outside diameter is smaller than it should be, and how soon the bcg starts to exert force on the case rim.

a little over gassing combined with a out of spec case web or just a severely out of spec case and pop goes the weasel.

shooting steel cases its going to happen. thats why the russians issue broken shell extractors. steel doesnt have the expansion and contraction ability of brass so it tends to break instead of contract. the russians could care less if one in a hundred of their disposable peasents deadlines his crappy ak47 on steel cased ammo if it saves a .0001 ruble a round.

if your going to shoot steel carry your extractor.

·
Registered
173 Posts
kind of like running cheap gas in your Ferrari isn't it?? I'm not surprised at all
to each his own I guess.......

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After that happened to me and I had the broken shell extractor at home which ruined my range day I never left it home again.
Yup, I guess I'll just have to clean more often whenever running it and not forget my extractor at home ah! Lesson learned!!

Hey, if you are intent to shoot a very expensive rifle on the cheap, at least stick to good quality mil surplus. So far I've had good luck with quality 7.62x51 surplus ball ammo from known/good countries. Even though I don't own one(M1A), I find the data in the Ammunition section of the M14 Forums very useful.
kind of like running cheap gas in your Ferrari isn't it?? I'm not surprised at all
to each his own I guess.......
My SCAR is def. not a safe queen... I run all kinds of ammo through it and Tulammo is fine for the short range drills I run. But yeah, I won't be stockpiling Tul for sure!

you might be a scootched overgassed or just an out of spec case. ripping case heads off has little to do with how dirty or clean the chamber is but entirely with how much force is applied to the case as the pressure is dropping in the chamber and how strong the case web is or if its outside diameter is smaller than it should be, and how soon the bcg starts to exert force on the case rim.
It didn't rip after I fired tho... The case got stuck and because I'm impatient (I had a cleaning rod with me) I ran the BCG to try to clear it... Bad move!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I bought a new custom ordered PTR-91F so I could run 50 round X-drums of the nastiest ammo and skimp on cleaning. The PTR-91 is very hard on brass so I feed it the steel case it likes.

Nothing but brass for my Scar 17 unless there were no other alternatives.

This math works for me because a replacement barrel for my Scar 17 costs more than a complete brand new PTR-91 and the PTR-91 is basically comparable to AK-47 in .308 that actually shoots accurately.

One way to afford a new Z06 Corvette is to save a ton of money by filling it up with cheap gas in Mexico where you get maybe 79-84 octane and not too much water in it on a good day... no a Z06 on bad Mexican gas isn't going to run as good or be as reliable as a base Vette on American gas, but whatever math works for you...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts