FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after field stripping my FS2000 this morning to make sure all of the shipping lubricants were cleaned out. I was putting the barrel assembly back in place when I heard a 'clink' sound. I pulled the barrel assembly out and took a look at my switch and sure enough it was cracked. I didn't think I was being rough and I wasn't forcing anything. But I must have did some part of the reassemby instruction wrong.

Talked to a lady at the parts department and I've got to say that had to be one of the worst customer experiences I've had. Not friendly and a bit rude when I was trying to explain which part I needed. Not to mention there were people shouting in the background and what sounded like a TV going. I could barely hear her talking.

Even the parts department doesn't have a diagram of the FS2000. She had to leave the phone several times just to go rummage around in the back of the office/storehouse to look to see what I was talking about.

They said that they are sending me the right part. I asked about what happens when the part arrives if it is not the correct one what are my options. She stated that I could pay to ship it back to them and they would try to find the correct part for me then. :roll:

Then I made the mistake of asking about getting a spare barrel for my FS2000, so that I could put an aftermarket Flash hider on it. They had no info on barrels and stated that I would have to send the entire rifle in to them to have the barrel replaced when it was beginning to have wear issues.

Are barrels now a prohibited item? It's not a NFA item so.....>??

Sorry, just needed to vent a bit for a very frustrating experience. My own fault for screwing my new gun up and then the parts dept for not knowing what I was talking about.

Anyway since they were backordered on the swtich I went ahead and ordered 3 of them. They were $15 each. Just FYI.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Next time you have a problem, contact Bob Ailes, Customer Support Manager, for FN at [email protected] or 1-703-288-3500 ext. 128. Whenever I've had a problem, he took care of it quickly and was always a pleasure to work with. By the way, I did the same thing the first or second time I broke down my FS2000. The goofy thing about that plastic switch is that it should rattle around a little when its replaced properly. If you depress the spring and tuck it in there nice and snug, which certainly looks and feels right, it's not and you will end up with about a 1/8" to 1/4" gap when reassembling the rifle. Try to make up that slight gap and snap, you've cracked the switch. It appears we've both learned that lesson the hard way. Enjoy your rifle--it's a terrific shooter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar experience. When I called FN and tried to order some spare parts for my FS2000, the first person I talked to was completely rude to put it nicely. She knew very little about the company's products and she had no clue what I was talking about. After a few minutes she put me on hold and never came back. I called back and demand to speak to a supervisor. They informed me that there were only replacement parts that they could sell to me, the consumer, do to liability issues. Parts such as barrels are either replace in the factory directly, or they can be sold to FN approved gunsmith who must install them. I'm also pretty sure they do not return used parts to consumers because of safety concerns.

·
Registered
857 Posts
montanadave said:
By the way, I did the same thing the first or second time I broke down my FS2000. The goofy thing about that plastic switch is that it should rattle around a little when its replaced properly. If you depress the spring and tuck it in there nice and snug, which certainly looks and feels right, it's not and you will end up with about a 1/8" to 1/4" gap when reassembling the rifle. Try to make up that slight gap and snap, you've cracked the switch. It appears we've both learned that lesson the hard way. Enjoy your rifle--it's a terrific shooter.
Can you provide some images of this so I don't screw it up when I take mine apart

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did ask for a date on when they were expecting to get new switches in since they have been backordered since December. The lady I talked to had no clue. She told me it could be 6 months to a year. I asked to speak to her supervisor to which she replied 'No.'

Not exactly the kind of people you want interacting with the public, at least IMHO. :-?

That's why I ordered 3 of these plastic 'switches' since its such a hastle to get parts might as well have some 'spares on hand'.

I did find a few websites that will sell barrels for the FS2000. Such as http://www.hi-desertdog.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=109.

I just hope that they have the switches in stock before 6 - 12 months. That just seems like an excessive wait time. Especially for me since I haven't even fired mine yet!! :cry:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I took your advice and called Bob Ailes and talked with him. Much better experience than talking with the Parts dept.

Bob knew exactly what was wrong and had switches in stock. He is shipping me out one free of charge, even when it was my boneheaded mistake that caused it in the 1st place.

Bob said that the parts department should have ordered the items when they received the order. He didn't exactly sound 'enthused' talking about them.

Bob also said that there is no way he can import just barrels. He can only import full weapons. He did state that we should be able to get 20,000 rounds out of our chrome lined weapons before accuracy problems arise.

All in all it does redeem my estimation of FN USA, even with the barrel problem. :?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am sooooo glad that I read this blog about dealing with Bob Ailes. I called him a couple of times and he was busy and rightly so. He returned my call and he was great in helping me out with my broken switch. Thanks for the info and Thanks Bob if you are reading this. :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
What switch are you guys talking about? Not the takedown switch in the middle of the gun, which is obviously metal...

The AR15.com thread doesn't seem to have any pictures any more.

I have spoken with exactly the lady you mentioned ath Browning parts. She was definitely difficult to work with but did become much easier to deal with when I slowed down and did things her way. If we let her do her thang, she's actually very helpful and gets the right part for you.

Of course, working with Bob is far easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts