FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered the BDA 380. It looks like a baby brother (or sister) to the Hi-Power. Would love to get some education on this gun.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was this model ever imported and marketed by Browning as a Browning and is the design a scaled down Hi-Power? Was it designed by John Browning? How far back do they date. How would you rate the relative quality of the Italian manufacture as compared to FN?

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's made by beretta for browning. There big for 380 guns but there sweet there really comfortable. Quality wise, It's built really well I've had no problems. Stiff spring for the slide. I don't shoot it too often 380 ammo is expensive plus the nickel finish shows dirt. The sight is werid tho in the back it's not 3 dot. Idk what it's called I think it's a u in the rear

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a picture of one. Not a great image but appeared to have the Fabrique Nationale and logo roll stamped on the slide. Was also marked Italy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Was this model ever imported and marketed by Browning as a Browning and is the design a scaled down Hi-Power? Was it designed by John Browning? How far back do they date. How would you rate the relative quality of the Italian manufacture as compared to FN?
From 1977 to 1997 Beretta built the Browning BDA 380, which is essentially the model 84BB with a standard ejection port (instead of an open slide), a slide-mounted decocker/safety and a spur hammer. Seeing as how this is a Beretta design, and was merely manufactured for Browning by Beretta, and that Beretta began making the Model 84 in 1976, and John Browning died on November 26, 1926, and that he had no affiliation with Beretta that I'm aware of...I believe it's safe to say that John Browning was not involved in the design.

As to whether it's a scaled down Hi-Power...no, it's not. As to which manufacturer is best...both Beretta and FN make very high quality firearms. If you're asking which is better, the BDA or the 84 in terms of manufacturing...since they're both built by Beretta, it's a non-issue.

If you desire a John Browning designed .380 to complement your Hi-Power, there are several choices. Two that were directly designed by Browning are the Colt Model 1908 Pocket Hammerless and the FN Model 1910. For modern .380s that are essentially Browning designs, there's the Colt GM and Mustang, and the Sig Sauer P238. There are probably others, as well. These are just the first and most obvious that occurred to me.

Tim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Bullzaye. Good info and insight. I do appreciate your perspective. Perhaps I am influence by the romance of another Browning. I think I saw where the Barettas were alloy frame. We're the Browning versions steel or alloy.

thanks for taking the time to help the old man.

Jim

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Bullzaye, very good write up and thanks for sharing. I defo learned something new.
This sounds like a great little pistol especially for personal carry for those with a CHL, but for regular shooting, I dislike the .380. It's too small of a round for my personal tastes and the cost for 50 rounds is just plain stupid. If .380 ammo were a lot cheaper, say $12-$15 per box, I wouldn't mind owning a pistol in that caliber and shooting it more often.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They are great pistols...but, as Hank Hill mentioned previously, they're a bit large, especially by today's standards, for a .380.

In the same size range is the very reasonably priced CZ83, which is a fine pistol out of (the former) Czechoslovakia. They are also available as the CZ82, in 9x18mm Makarov, on the surplus market. I have a couple of them, and they're excellent pistols. They may not be quite as smooth as the Beretta/FN, but they're much more affordable, and I believe that 9x18mm Makarov is a bit cheaper than .380 ammo, as well as being a bit more powerful. They're also capable of being carried with the hammer down (safety off...cannot even be applied with hammer down) with first shot being DA, or "cocked-and-locked", first shot being SA.

Tim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts