FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Forum does not support a Browning or "regular" rifle room so I had to start this thread here. I would like to know thoughts and opinions on this lever-gun if anyone has any to share. It would be chambered in .223 and the companion to the Colt Python. Let's hear it....please! :biggrin:

View attachment 29461

Reactions: LESTER

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
:idea:I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THE 223REM BUT I WOULD GET SOMETHING LIKE THAT CHAMBERED IN 450 MARLIN THAT'S MY OPION:mytwocents0:

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had more than my share of excellent and noteworthy conversations with a few FWC Biologists and LEO's with all agreeing, for my purposes a .223 is more than adequate and comes with economic advantages other calibers can't offer. There's another reason too, but that's for later down the road. I think the BLR with its DBM and barrel configuration meaning no barrel strap could be what I'm looking for as well make a very nice companion to the Colt Python.

:idea:I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH THE 223REM BUT I WOULD GET SOMETHING LIKE THAT CHAMBERED IN 450 MARLIN THAT'S MY OPION:mytwocents0:

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
517 Posts
I really like lever guns, but I am not sure if I like the Browning action in comparison to the others. That being said I have never shot one, but only debated them in my LGS. In the end I stuck with Marlin and my daughter went with a Henry.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always been a Marlin fan myself but like the idea of a DBM.

I really like lever guns, but I am not sure if I like the Browning action in comparison to the others. That being said I have never shot one, but only debated them in my LGS. In the end I stuck with Marlin and my daughter went with a Henry.

·
Registered
517 Posts
As the the stock. The pistol grip style vs the straight/English style stock is a bit of a personal preference. I have both types. I have the English stock on a Browning B80 shotgun and absolutely love it. It is my quail gun since it is so light and fast. What I have been told is the English stock is faster but there is a risk when you bring it up in a hurry that you may twist/cant the gun. Therefore it is assumed the pistol grip stock version will give you more consistent shots. Since my English stock was on a shotgun I never noticed anything inconsistent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My experience with the BLR is very good. I have the .308 version of the Browning BLR Lightweight Takedown, (blued, not stainless). I have it set up as a scout rifle, put on a forward mount with a Leupold 1.25-4x scout scope, very long eye relief. I have achieved 1" groups at 100 yds. I have knocked down several deer with it over the past 3 years, but with that scope setup and my eyes, would not try to use it past 150 yards. The factory round it likes the best is here:

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-150-gr-SST-Superformance/

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes but, I will more than likely opt for the .223, the .308 would be needless overkill for my purposes. What's the issue with the trigger or isn't there one in your opinion. I hear that it's a great levergun but as with the type action does not have the greatest trigger. I have also discovered it is NOT stainless steel only "stainless" finished.

My experience with the BLR is very good. I have the .308 version of the Browning BLR Lightweight Takedown, (blued, not stainless). I have it set up as a scout rifle, put on a forward mount with a Leupold 1.25-4x scout scope, very long eye relief. I have achieved 1" groups at 100 yds. I have knocked down several deer with it over the past 3 years, but with that scope setup and my eyes, would not try to use it past 150 yards. The factory round it likes the best is here:

http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win-150-gr-SST-Superformance/

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've always had a preference for the pistol grip stock. A Cousin owns a Marlin 336CS which we both have used to hunt hogs in Holey Land with great success. Very comfortable rifle to shoulder and quick to aim, I would rather have a DBM though.

As the the stock. The pistol grip style vs the straight/English style stock is a bit of a personal preference. I have both types. I have the English stock on a Browning B80 shotgun and absolutely love it. It is my quail gun since it is so light and fast. What I have been told is the English stock is faster but there is a risk when you bring it up in a hurry that you may twist/cant the gun. Therefore it is assumed the pistol grip stock version will give you more consistent shots. Since my English stock was on a shotgun I never noticed anything inconsistent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts