FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have a Browning high power hard silver chrome,

This breech face is this a problem? regarding the serial number it dates back to 1997

The rifling is sharp and crisp so are the locking lugs on the barrel verry sharp!

im afraid this is gonna be a problem the breechface maybie someone can upload pics of ther breachface to compare?

Kind Regard from the Netherlands.

Nathan

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
In picture 3 it appears the primer may be bulging out from the spent case. This can be an issue if it comes out far enough. Take a straightedge and run it across the top of the case. If it hangs up on several cases, then I suggest having the slide repaired.

Sometimes, a person will chamfer the firing pin hole to remove burrs and/or reduce the chance of a primer getting hung up on the rough edge after firing. In this case, it looks like someone may have went a little too far.

One more thing to check is that the firing pin itself moves freely through this area.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Man, it is hard to take a picture of that with an iPhone. The auto focus didn't like it.

Here is the face of one of mine. This firearm has exactly 150 rounds fired through it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The hole looks countersunk, which the primer in the one pic is forming around, it's not right. Mine is 70's and well shot and it is not countersunk, like a previous post mentioned maybe it was done to get rid of the burrs. Is it safe? I don't really know but it shouldn't be that way.

·
Registered
862 Posts
to me it looks that it has the roughly the same breech face so i dont think i have to worry?
They sure look similar to me. I will look and see if I can find a brass casing from it. I dump all the fired brass in a container and I might not be able to separate which were fired from what.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BHP hard silver chrome new slide help!

Can i just buy a new slide on my BHP or does it need custom fitting?

since there is only a serial number on the barrel&frame and not on the slide

if it fire's and ejects am i good to go then?

All help is welcome!

Kind Regards

·
Registered
217 Posts
This is cause for concern because it appears the metal is being mushroomed out by the primers. Hi-Powers are known to be constructed of comparatively soft steel, but this is not supposed to happen. This situation could be dangerous.

Take a look inside the firing pin hole to see if the metal is intruding there. You may also be able to see shiny spots around the tip if the firing pin from contact.

A new slide should drop right on with no major modification.
If you get unlucky and get a slide that's too tight or too loose, a gunsmith can help with that. The reccomended repair for this problem would be to install a custom bushing in the firing pin area.

Gilligan, if yours is still under warranty I would be interested in what Browning has to say.

·
Registered
862 Posts
This is cause for concern because it appears the metal is being mushroomed out by the primers. Hi-Powers are known to be constructed of comparatively soft steel, but this is not supposed to happen. This situation could be dangerous.

Take a look inside the firing pin hole to see if the metal is intruding there. You may also be able to see shiny spots around the tip if the firing pin from contact.

A new slide should drop right on with no major modification.
If you get unlucky and get a slide that's too tight or too loose, a gunsmith can help with that. The reccomended repair for this problem would be to install a custom bushing in the firing pin area.

Gilligan, if yours is still under warranty I would be interested in what Browning has to say.
I am not so sure that there is any need for concern. I will do some searching to see what others have noted and take this info over to the High Power forum as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Your pic shows the how small the indent really is.

The reason i think it's dangerous is that it increases the potential for malfunctions and raises the possibility of a pierced primer. This can send hot gas and debris out the rear of the slide, and right into whoever is behind the gun.

Though it looks minor, I personally would not run either of the pistols pictured until the situation is remedied.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The voice of caution is always important.

I do not see that the primer is near being punctured or have I ever heard of a Hi Power doing so.
Now, I know that case head failures are very dangerous, I have a friend that had some factory ammo fail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the gun of the OP, there is a crater around the firing pin hole.It does not appear flame cut. However, if the pistol was not purchased new, someone may have done that to repair flame cut scars. I think another member suggested running a straight edge across the case head of your fired cases. Good idea. I think it was also suggested you pull the firing pin and inspect it. Another good idea. As it is always difficult to judge a two dimensional picture of a three dimensional object, I would have it inspected by someone, preferably at an authorized Browning FN service center. A custom made plug will be much cheaper than a replacement slide. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.