FN Herstal Firearms banner

Browning Pro Series and FNP 9 & 40 Complete Teardown

46K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Aud Dog 
Nice post. However, as this being my first, and currently only pistol, I will not be taking mine apart anytime soon (at least without a gunsmith present if I need help). Mine isn't terribly dirty yet, but the range I shoot at offers a complete cleaning for $40 if/when it is really dirty.

They actually take it all apart and get all the gunk out of all the little nooks and crevases-something that doesn't need to be done too often. Also, my gun is FDE, so gun powder residue shows up a lot more, so I can easily see where it is, so that helps, although, I always seem to be swabbing more out of someplace I thought I had cleaned thouroughly :lol:

I might have it taken apart and cleaned around the 2500 rd to 3000 rd mark depending on how it looks and functions.

ELLIOTT436 said:
Great pics and walk threw is there any major difference between the pro 40 and the fnp-40?
Same gun (well, the pro-40 is the FNP 40 USG. The standard 40 w/no manual safety will be slightly different in that area).

Chuck Meese said:
We need this for the FNP45
Slide is the same, frame is a bit different though. I haven't had the guts to strip my 9 or my 45's fram yet (will probably do it for the 9 in another 1000 rounds).

I attempted to take the mag release out of my 45, but was unable to (couldn't get the springs from riding over eachother, but it does remove just like the 9 and 40's mag releases)

Cooter said:
Chuck Meese said:
We need this for the FNP45
The biggest thing with the 45 is figuring out how the fire control group comes out. I haven't figured it out yet. I'm thinking the actual safety lever somehow holds it in. But I don't want to start breaking parts trying to figure it out.
That's my guess as well. My FNP-9's FCG came out without any problem and I'm assuming there must be some hidden pin under the decocking lever on the 45 (or it is the pin itself).

I might fumble around with it tonight and see what I can come up with if anything.

I think the polymer is fine. They fixed the issue (which was a notch) and it hasn't occurred with any of the newer version FCGs.

Once you first take it out, it's pretty easy after that.

I had a SIG P238 that the firing pin was easier to take out (mainly because the retainer plate wasn't as tight fitting), but still came out pretty much the same way.

I've seen the diagram but not the price list. Midway had parts at one point (and I got some from them), but they were $4+ more expensive on everything. If you call Browning parts, you can order FNP parts. I just don't know if those prices still hold true or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.