FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just completed building my first lower it is a Spike's Tactical lower with a CMMG lower parts kit and attached a pistol buffer tube to it. I am not too keen on using an AR-15 Pistol, but I will until my eForm1 gets approved for my rifle. All in all I am very happy with everything, it went together very easily and quickly. Now I have a really bad itch to build a ~10.5" upper, maybe a 14.5" too.

Talhoffer has been very helpful and I am looking for advice and a place to share the knowledge without derailing his thread! He suggested:

M4 flat top receiver
Daniel Defense 10.3" barrel with pined gas block (if you want a drop in non free float handguard like the KAC RIS or RAS I'd use a pined gas block)
KAC "seconds" RAS carbine handguard
A good M16 bolt carrier group
Bravo Company Mod4 Gunfighter charging handle
Flash hider of your choosing
This one idea

Right now I am open to a barrel but like the idea of a Daniel Defense if I can find one in stock for a good price, so:

M4 Flattop receiver
10.3" or 10.5" barrel (I think I want a Carbine "length" gas port, based on everything I have read for the length I am after)
YHM/KAC/DD Quadrail
No clue on the BCG, open to suggestions on manufacturers
BCM CH
YHM Phantom QD FH

For a quad rail do I just need a low profile gas block or do I need a pinned gas block on a barrel?

Please let me know if you can help out or give advice, thanks guys :)

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you considered a piston? I ran my Adams SBR a few weeks ago and it was great.
I have but have always heard that DI works better in the AR platform. If I remember correctly people said that BCG tilt became a factor and that was part of the issue with a piston AR. I think based on everything I have read I will stick with DI.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So as I am shopping around and looking at pics I am noticing that I am really liking the look of mid length quad rails over carbine length quad rails. I love the look of the only thing you can see being the FH...I saw that YHM had a one piece rail that had an extension/lip that reached the upper receiver so that rail was nearly continuous.

Are you guys running 1 piece rails that thread on or 2 piece quad rails? Also what length in inches, around 1.0" - 2.0" shorter than the barrel?

·
Registered
3,114 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Plan ahead for the build. If plan on running suppressed look into a piston had system and suppressor mount for the brake. If you don't ever want to suppress it then look into a good brake that reduces flash or muzzle climb. (Pig, battlecomp, lantac Dragon, ect.). Charging handle is your preference, I like the bcm mod 3, it is slightly longer than the 4. If the upper has a slight wobble after assembling you can buy an accu-wedge for $5 to get rid of the annoying wobble.
Most important thing is to buy or borrow the proper tools for the build. They don't have to be the best tools but make sure they fit and do the job right.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
depending on what YOU want.
This ^^^
You should figure out what you want, barrel length, gas system, handguard style/length, ect... then the advice will be more helpful.
Half of mine are clones and I followed their builds, I too like 11.5" to 12.5" barrels over the shorter setups. My next SBR upper build is going to go with a 12.5" barrel as soon as I can track down all the parts.
Stick with good parts for what ever you decide to build, don't skimp on your barrel or boltcarrier group and whatever you decide to build should serve you well for years.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Alright so some items are still kind of hard to find but I just bought the following:

Upper Assembly - Spikes Tactical SFT50M4
M16 Bolt Carrier Group - Spikes Tactical ST5BG01
Charging Handle - Spikes Tactical SUH100F

I am impressed with the Spikes Tactical stuff so far so have decided to go that route for these parts that mate together (Not that it really matters that much though).

Right now I am trying to find a barrel, gas block, gas tube, barrel nut, and quad rail.

For the barrel I want a good brand like Daniel Defense, I found this one and I like it, but it is 12.5": Daniel Defense Barrel AR-15 Pistol 5.56x45mm NATO Government Contour Is there any major advantage in jumping up to this 12.5" barrel over an 11.5"?

I will take your guys advice and jump up to the 11.5" and might consider the above barrel based on availability. I realize I would have to buy a low profile gas block(that is 0.625") though for it as I believe that will work with the quadrail, correct?

As for the quad rail I really like the look(and price) of the YHM Diamond Free Float Quad Rail or the YHM SLR Free Float Quad Rail. If I am understanding what I am reading right, the rail comes with a barrel nut. Is that most common?

Also, if I bought a 11.5" barrel would a 9.7" rail be best to achieve the look of mainly just the FH sticking out? Alternatively, if I bought a 12.5" barrel I was thinking of getting the 12.5" handguard, would that not look right? or would the FH stick out far enough so I could thread on my Suppressor?

Sorry for all the questions but this stuff is awesome...its like Lego's for men...

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Alright so some items are still kind of hard to find but I just bought the following:

Upper Assembly - Spikes Tactical SFT50M4
M16 Bolt Carrier Group - Spikes Tactical ST5BG01
Charging Handle - Spikes Tactical SUH100F

I am impressed with the Spikes Tactical stuff so far so have decided to go that route for these parts that mate together (Not that it really matters that much though).

Right now I am trying to find a barrel, gas block, gas tube, barrel nut, and quad rail.

For the barrel I want a good brand like Daniel Defense, I found this one and I like it, but it is 12.5": Daniel Defense Barrel AR-15 Pistol 5.56x45mm NATO Government Contour Is there any major advantage in jumping up to this 12.5" barrel over an 11.5"?

I will take your guys advice and jump up to the 11.5" and might consider the above barrel based on availability. I realize I would have to buy a low profile gas block(that is 0.625") though for it as I believe that will work with the quadrail, correct?

As for the quad rail I really like the look(and price) of the YHM Diamond Free Float Quad Rail or the YHM SLR Free Float Quad Rail. If I am understanding what I am reading right, the rail comes with a barrel nut. Is that most common?

Also, if I bought a 11.5" barrel would a 9.7" rail be best to achieve the look of mainly just the FH sticking out? Alternatively, if I bought a 12.5" barrel I was thinking of getting the 12.5" handguard, would that not look right? or would the FH stick out far enough so I could thread on my Suppressor?

Sorry for all the questions but this stuff is awesome...its like Lego's for men...
Not sure if that barrel from Midway comes with the gas block but if you think you want that one check here I believe it's a better price.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16_barrels_danieldefense

The YHM Diamond handgaurd will come with a barrel nut, the SLR looks like it uses a factory nut and probably doesn't come with it but on that I guessing because I have not used that one.

On a 11.5" barrel I use a 10 3/4" handguard to cover all but the threaded end of the barrel, this gives the look your asking about. A 9.7" handguard on a 11.5" barrel should leave about 1 1/4" of exposed barrel behind the flash hider showing, add about an 1" more exposed if you go with a 12.5" barrel.
The YHM line of handguards are good, I used lots of them for builds and never had any issues with them.

Try to stay with a barrel that uses .750 gas block diameter vs the .625, the .750 is more common and you'll have more options now and in the future if you want to change something.

I don't know if these handguards are in the budget you want to shoot for but give them a look and see.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=forearms/railsystems_apexmachiningcompany

A low pro gas block along the lines like this will work for the build your putting together in a DI setup.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=911

A armorer wrench like this will work for the factory barrel nut or the YHM barrel nut if you don't already have a wrench. It gives you the pins for most free float tubes on one side and the factory nut on the other side.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3837

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The YHM Diamond handgaurd will come with a barrel nut, the SLR looks like it uses a factory nut and probably doesn't come with it but on that I guessing because I have not used that one.

On a 11.5" barrel I use a 10 3/4" handguard to cover all but the threaded end of the barrel, this gives the look your asking about. A 9.7" handguard on a 11.5" barrel should leave about 1 1/4" of exposed barrel behind the flash hider showing, add about an 1" more exposed if you go with a 12.5" barrel.
The YHM line of handguards are good, I used lots of them for builds and never had any issues with them.

Try to stay with a barrel that uses .750 gas block diameter vs the .625, the .750 is more common and you'll have more options now and in the future if you want to change something.
I just realized that the quad rail I have been eying is actually a Daniel Defense not a YHM, I got thrown off because the guy said it was a specter, which I just learned is a length...not a YHM offering...the noobness hurts...

What I like most about the Daniel Defense Quad Rail is the extended lip that reaches to the flat top of the upper assembly making it look like a continuous rail. So I am now liking the DD and given the price on Rainier for them they are pretty fairly priced. I am glad that you pointed out that the .750 is the standard/common gas diameter, I will make sure I get one like that.

Not sure if that barrel from Midway comes with the gas block but if you think you want that one check here I believe it's a better price.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/browse&category=ar15/m16_barrels_danieldefense

A low pro gas block along the lines like this will work for the build your putting together in a DI setup.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=911
Oh okay, that is cool, I think I will do like you suggested then and try to find a barrel in stock somewhere that has the gasblock already on it. Barrels just seem to be really hard to find right now, if I cant find one with the gas block already on it then I will be sure to get a gas block like the one you posted. That 12.5" from rainier is looking pretty good, I wish it was 11.5" though...

A armorer wrench like this will work for the factory barrel nut or the YHM barrel nut if you don't already have a wrench. It gives you the pins for most free float tubes on one side and the factory nut on the other side.
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3837
I have been looking at wrenches today and have been wondering if there were major differences between barrel nuts so was thinking of waiting, but may jump on this one now if it works with a standard and a YHM handguard.

Again, I cant thank you enough for this info, I really appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts