FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same test as before, but with SS197sr ammo shot from a FiveSeven USG Handgun.

Shot at a distance of 15 feet into the bullet test tube, (3.25" diameter tube.)

The bullet expanded and peeled back just like any HP prefectly.

Remember to multiply the results by 1.34 to get the adjusted depths/sizes in Ballistics Gelatin.

Looks like what happened was, 1" in, it started expanding, as it created a perfectly elliptical cone 2" long and .725" in diameter. After that it tapered off at 4.5" depth and started to behave like a 9mm HP, leaving a straight channel the size of the expanded bullet. There was no yaw or change in direction at all.
The hydrostatic shock actually cracked the top of the Bullet Test Tube apart in 2 places. The SS192 did not do such a thing.
Total penetration was 7.4" straight in.

SS192 RESULTS

Explanation : Multiply depths by 1.34" to compare to 10% ballistics gelatin (From Bullet Test Tube's website).

Bullet enters Tube from a distance of 15feet in Room Temperature.
Shot through a .06" thick plastic cap on the test tube itself.
Entrance hole is .366" dropping to bullet diameter after 1/4" inside of tube.
First yaw starts at about 2.1" depth rotating full bullet length but also making a thicker than the bullet diameter elliptical permanent cavity.
Second Yaw starts at about 4.5", looks like bullet is traveling butt forward, spinning head over tail as it exits the tube at 7.4" total penetration.
Exit hole from Tube was the bullet tumbling , .285" x .588".

After Exiting the Tube, it bounced around the test room, but did not have enough force to damage anything.
Exited bullet was perfectly preserved, no dents or marks, could probably be reloaded even.

I did a test using 115gr 9mm JHP and Corbon 45acp 230gr +P on the same media (Bullet Test tube) and neither went this far, and the 5.7 did NOTICEABLY more damage / larger wound cavity and 2 of them to boot, than the 9mm did.. Something to ponder.

I will have to meltdown the tubes and re-mold them before I can try SS195LF and SS197.
I am guessing SS195LF will be the same thing though, and SS197 should do more damage at a shallower depth. We'll see.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yup, I just updated the post. Let's just say, compared to the Remington 9mm JHP this is a lot more damage .

I will test more rounds too coming up, I just tested the Hornady TAP 124gr FPD round and OMG it left a 1.03" TUBE going down the test tube, then exited after 9" (I shot a bit off not dead on straight sadly).

I will retest this to make sure it was not user error as I could easily see that go 10-12" and if it leave the same TUBE of a permanent cavity, I am in love. :shock: :eek:
It was bigger and smoother than the 45acp Corbon +P round did. Deeper too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah me too. The SS192 penetrates a bit deeper if you figure the change in direction and two wound cavities, but I figure the SS197 would pass through two sets of walls and bounce off the 3rd, or if it hits soft tissue, does a lot of damage early on.

If they would put some lead into the SS197sr I think it would go quite deeper and behave like a normal JHP. Still for anything other than bears, I'd say it would work. Even then, with the low recoil, a few well placed headshots and it'll scramble anything's brains.

ps. I just tested two .22lr rounds, the Aguila Super Max high Velocity Solidpoint .22lr and the Remington Thunderbolt .22lr HP ammo, and contrary to popular belief, I would not give up on life armed with them.

The thunderbolt seemed to yaw left and exited the tube after 4" but left a nice round .303" hole all the way through, and the Aguila SMHV Solidpoint left a large cavity from entry to about 2.5" depth with a .376" diameter then tapered off to a total of 6.1" penetration with a .228"cavity all the way through.

·
Vendor
5,657 Posts

Ammunition Bullet ......Weight...... Velocity...... Accuracy

Elite PenetraTOR ...........55............ 1743...........1.125
Elite ProtecTOR .............40 ............2351.......... 0.437
Elite VarminTOR ............36 ............2452.......... 0.375
Elite Ultra RapTOR .........28............ 3060 ..........0.75
Elite IlluminaTOR ...........53.5....Not Recorded.....1.875
FNH SS195 LF ................27.5......... 2320.......... 0.5
FNH SS197 SR ...............40............ 2126.......... 1.125

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
MrNuke7571 said:
Same test as before, but with SS197sr ammo shot from a FiveSeven USG Handgun.

Shot at a distance of 15 feet into the bullet test tube, (3.25" diameter tube.)

The bullet expanded and peeled back just like any HP prefectly.

Remember to multiply the results by 1.34 to get the adjusted depths/sizes in Ballistics Gelatin.

Looks like what happened was, 1" in, it started expanding, as it created a perfectly elliptical cone 2" long and .725" in diameter. After that it tapered off at 4.5" depth and started to behave like a 9mm HP, leaving a straight channel the size of the expanded bullet. There was no yaw or change in direction at all.
The hydrostatic shock actually cracked the top of the Bullet Test Tube apart in 2 places. The SS192 did not do such a thing.
Total penetration was 7.4" straight in.

SS192 RESULTS

Explanation : Multiply depths by 1.34" to compare to 10% ballistics gelatin (From Bullet Test Tube's website).

Bullet enters Tube from a distance of 15feet in Room Temperature.
Shot through a .06" thick plastic cap on the test tube itself.
Entrance hole is .366" dropping to bullet diameter after 1/4" inside of tube.
First yaw starts at about 2.1" depth rotating full bullet length but also making a thicker than the bullet diameter elliptical permanent cavity.
Second Yaw starts at about 4.5", looks like bullet is traveling butt forward, spinning head over tail as it exits the tube at 7.4" total penetration.
Exit hole from Tube was the bullet tumbling , .285" x .588".

After Exiting the Tube, it bounced around the test room, but did not have enough force to damage anything.
Exited bullet was perfectly preserved, no dents or marks, could probably be reloaded even.

I did a test using 115gr 9mm JHP and Corbon 45acp 230gr +P on the same media (Bullet Test tube) and neither went this far, and the 5.7 did NOTICEABLY more damage / larger wound cavity and 2 of them to boot, than the 9mm did.. Something to ponder.

I will have to meltdown the tubes and re-mold them before I can try SS195LF and SS197.
I am guessing SS195LF will be the same thing though, and SS197 should do more damage at a shallower depth. We'll see.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to what the new American Eagle FMJ stuff does in these test tubes. I don't expect it to do a lot of damage since from pictures I've seen the bullet is much shorter than the 27gr HP's found in the SS192 and SS195LF yet being a FMJ my guess it will still tumble. I'm still curious about how early it would tumble and total penetration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am planning on testing some ss198lf and some ss190ap in 10% but pouring the block I might have to increase its height so that I can get the full path. Just got to look over a report on the damage to a person from the ss198lf and damn it did way more damage than I have seen from a 9mm. Shattering and ripping its way through and even having enough force to fracture a pelvis at the end of its path through a 5'7 average weight man. The shooter in the report said the man dropped before he had to fire a second round. Haven't seen or heard what a 190 will do in a person not wearing kevlar.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I too would really like to see this test on AE5728A rounds. I tested a few in sand and they were nearly intact! thats one very solid bullet and it would likely pass right through a fleshy thing very quickly and just leave a little channel, unless it tumbled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts