FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have that bullpup AR kit?

I almost bought one about 10 years ago, but I already heard that the trigger on it sucked. Plus, while it was a bullpup, I never thought it looked as kewl as it could have....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Which bullpup kit?

I know that ACE was working on one, but I didn't think it was out yet.

I do have a heavily modified bushmaster m17, but its as much an AR as a fs2000 is. The M17 is not bad as is, but there are a few smiths that can do a lot to it, trigger pull improvements, barrel shortening, etch. mine's basically the same length as a ps90.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What bushmaster bullput kit are you refering to. I was not aware that they sold a kit for the AR. Please post some pics.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think he means the bushmaster bullpup. I'll post pics of mine as soon as I can log into my stupid photo account, that I seem to have lost the password to.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I saw one again at the last gun show I went to - But I don't think Bushmaster sells them anymore.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that is the one. ANd, yea, I Know that it never really caught on. I looked into getting one in the 1990s - but after reading all the negative stuff, I didn't bother.

I was just curious if anyone here had one - that's why I posted this thread.

Wanted to hear a comparison to the PS90.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok, quick comparison, which is somewhat off since I don't yet have my own ps90, (mine's on layaway).

As they come from the factory, the m17 is longer and heavier. The m17 has a full alloy upper, with a polymer lower. The trigger in both can stand work, but it can be improved with some work.

The M17 comes from the factory with a basically useless set of irons set in a polymer carry handle that has a picitanny rail.

The m17 takes standard AR mags, though I'm nor sure that a beta or a drum will work. It's as accurate as an AR and you actually get more velocity than a standard carbine as it comes with an 21 inch barrel for a length of ~30 inches. I've never had a failure on mine, it's a piston gun.

Mine was modified by Kurt's Kustom Firearms, the barrel was cut down to 18 inches making it 26.75 inches long, the carry handle was removed, and replaced with a pictanny rail and the charging handle changed to a folding one. The receiver was shortened and lightened somewhat too. The pic of mine is here: http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/albums/album_image/42606/42381.htm

Anyway, I'm curious about what negative stuff you've heard. It's not been a bad gun, even for what I have in it for custom work. I've occasionally run across used ones for ~550 and they are a deal for that price.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, that's pretty kewl - the modifications you have made.

Back when I did my research in the 1990s, everyone seemed to hate the trigger. I read a few other complaints, but we are talking about 9-10 years ago that I did my reading. I don't remember everything I read. I just remembered that it wasn't very well liked among AR fans.

Anyway, I like the mods U made.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Honestly, the trigger isn't much worse than some of the fs2000s that got shipped. No, as it comes from the factory, it's not a glass break 2-3 pound trigger that some have on their ARs, but it is a combat rifle. The one that I have has been improved somewhat by Kurt.

It's closer to what my fs2000 is, probably about a 5-6 pound trigger pull.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to have a Bushmaster M17. I was a pretty cool looking gun but it was terribly picky about what magazines would let it function properly. I put a Tasco Pro Point red dot on it and it was pretty accurate. It was one of the smootest rifles Ive ever fired! But in the end, I had to sell it during some hard times. But now I have a Bushmaster M4 and the FN PS90. I think Ive replaced it quite nicely!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts