FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading on another site that the ACR will not be available for civilian purchase until sometime in 2010. Anyone else herd this?

·
Registered
24 Posts
“The ACR is being redesigned to be a superior offering to compete for the next generation US Army infantry carbine and subcompact weapon requirement and will be available to select customers in 2009.”

The above was a joint statement released by Bush/Magpul back in mid Nov.

I interpret "select customers" to mean mil/leo only...for now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I emailed them about mid december and they told me the same thing, and they wouldn't give any more details. From what I figure, they made more changes and had to test it more. Since this is supposed to compete with the scar, and it sounds like it may have more features than the scar, I sincerely doubt the original $1400 price point will be met, try double that. Thats why I've decided to go the XCR route. I still want one, and if it's under $2000 I will get one eventually, but we all know it wont be. We can hope.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just worried that it will go the route of the XM8, a great idea that dosen't get built or sold to the civilian market.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bushmasters decision to stay out of the US civilian market with this rifle is no different than anyone's decision on what stocks to buy in the stock market. Uncertainty plays a part, and they've got to look out for #1, just like the rest of us.

It is possible for the ACR to reach the US civilian market at or near its original price point, only catch is, it would likely be a neutered post-AWB rifle ( solid stock etc.).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Devildoc, a few more details about where and who you heard this from would be nice to know. Send me a PM if you don't want to post information about another website on this one.

AC, You do understand this is one of the very few good rifles of it's type that has been designed with no government funding/contract/money. Magpul specifically stated that the Masada would be available for purchase by the civilian public before they started their military/LE contracts. I would say with confidence that this is more Magpuls rifle than any other company considering they designed the entire bloody thing. They partnered with Bushmaster to make it to their standards and cover the distribution. That is what Bushmaster is doing in this project.

Magpul is delaying the release of the ACR to fine tune this rifle with the technical aspects in mind and the operator mindset and usage. Image a company making a product and wanting to get it right the first time? Kinda hard to think about, I know all those other companies have multiple versions, the older it is the lower in quality and function it is. But hey why would anyone want to do anything right the first time. We can just sell crap to the masses and make money! Very few people have pride of ownership these days.

AC, you know something I don't about a super secret Assault Weapons Ban? Guess somebody forgot to circulate the memo properly. Ah well, guess mine are all still legal then considering they are either defensive weapons or offensive weapons. Assault is such a moronic term to use with firearms. It's a an action, not a description.

:eek:
Wild_Bill

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoo yah, wild bill, agree with your opinion above. As for where I herd this from (which site), I was just surfing(googled) some forums and it caught my eye, but I don't remember the site. I really like the ACR. I think it will be a fantastic weapon system.

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed when I herd that Bushmaster had taken over production though. Not that I think that Bushmaster makes a bad gun(they make a good weapon for the price), but because the ACR will be in direct compitition with Bushmasters AR-15 line. Now it looks like (if this is true) that they want go after the LE/military contracts vice Civilian market.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can't get a straight answer out of anyone close to their home base in reference to what direction they are going with it. Lots of hearsay on the net, nothing on the Magpul website since the change of name from Magpul Masada to Bushmaster ACR and only the two news releases on the Bushmaster website. That's all the 100% news on this, other than you-tube videos. :roll: (You'd think that Bushmaster could afford to host a video or two.)

I don't know what sort of 'new' changes they have made to it, but I wouldn't classify it as an M16/AR15 Platform, from what I'm seeing it's better than that. The only thing that is from an M16 Colt is the barrel and the trigger. They make trigger upgrades that don't cost a fortune. :cool:

It will be in some competition, but I think the end price tag will scare away anyone that hasn't done their homework and those that do will be making a correct purchase in choosing the product from Bushmaster, whether they need a plinking .233 Rem semi-auto rifle or if they need a 5.56x45mm Nato rifle that is top of the line with all the bells and whistles right out of the box. On top of that, quality control will be the key with Bushmaster producing these rifles, that in it's self will the deal maker/breaker in my opinion.

Bushmaster/Magpul will make more money selling these to Military Forces and LE, but they shouldn't shoot their own foot by not selling to the public. Rich folks will be rich folks, and the hard chargers will want the best for themselves not just be limited to work use only.

I have a feeling I'm preaching to the choir, hopefully somebody is reading and learning. :)

Wild_Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wild-Bill, the information I received was directly from Bushmasters home page, clicked on "2009 availability information" under the ACR photo.

Yes, I do understand what the ACR is all about and what Magpul is all about. I have been waiting patiently for some time now to purchase the American developed Masada, as well as the Massoud.

Realistically, if Magpul was still calling the shots, this rifle would be called the Masada, not the ACR.

After learning that Bushmaster has put the civilian release of the ACR on the back-burner, to repeat myself again...for now, I moved on to my second choice, the FN SCAR. That is how I found this forum.

They could sell ACR's to the Military all day long at the $1400 price point. And I'll say again, I think the only way it would be possible for the civilian version to hit the market at the $1400 price point is in a post-AWB configuration.

Sure, I said the big bad AWB word. That was only in reference to the 10-year ban implemented in the 90's, the legislation they've tried to pass every year since, and Obama & Co.'s desire to reinstate the AWB and make it permanent, as per the White House website.

Wild-Bill, you are preaching to the choir. All of my firearms are personal-defense tools. I don't agree with the term "assault weapon" nor "sporting rifle" or "sporting use". I never use them, for the same reason I was never a member of the NRA. GOA got my membership.

Before the NRA nuts jump in...I did take advantage of their sale and joined at the beginning of the year. Figured we had a better chance against the anti-crowd if we aren't divided.

This was much too long...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts