FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Piston ARs are the rage...

Don't have any personal experience with them myself yet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think POF makes them for bushmaster. I am not to keen on POF uppers. But, POF does have good customer support when they blow up. Some people have great luck with them. I don't trust them. I had a HK 416 upper that I trusted, but sold it due to the lack of spare parts. If it breaks and you send it in the HK, they probably will not send it back. Plus, I wanted to fund my PS90 purchase!

Not sure if I can post links to other forums, but there is some interesting pics of a few POFs that blew up recently. I hope they work the bugs out of them. Problem is that companies are using the public to beta test their designs, rather than spending time and money to do a good job. That is the big complaint I hear about POF.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, except for other FN Forums, you are welcome to post links to any other forum (that's mentioned in the site rules) :?

Thanks for the info. I was looking at alternatives to the Sig 556 that didn't cost a ton of money. I thought this mmight be a reliable alternative. Although, I admin, I have no idea what this Bushmaster version costs.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The MSRP on the Bushmaster piston was $1800 last I looked, not sure the retail pricing.

LWRC makes an AR style .223 carbine designed from the ground up to use a piston. Supposed to be 80% parts compatible with the Colt M4. Haven't seen any pricing on it, and information is sparse.

Robinson Arms makes one as well which copies the design of the FAL in places. The gun has potential, but I've been turned off by the companies track record of abandoning a project once they start a new one and their rep for poor customer service. Reviews of it have been a mixed bag.

·
Registered
227 Posts
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=340418

Link is to a guy's POF that went POOF.

You may want to hold out for the Masada next yet. I thnk it is going to be THE rifle of choice if is works as planned. Of course, there is a new FN rifle coming out later too :).

In regards to the Sig 556, they are now producing a gen 2, which has a few changes. Don't buy the gen 1.

An AK is not a bad choice either, especially if you are left handed like me. ARs are not lefty friendly. An AK74 is a blast to shoot, and ammo is dirt cheap right now. Speaking of Russian guns, everyone should own a Mosin Nagant. $100 for a bolt rifle built like a tank. Real fun to shoot too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
LWRC is a good choice, and probably what I would get right now. Larry Vickers says it is the best next thing besides the HK416...

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, yea, I am familiar with the Gen 2 of the Sig556.

I'm debating if I want to spend the cash on another rifle. I've always been a handgun kind of guy. The PS90 is my 1st rifle - and I prefer the ergonomics to standard rifles.

I almost bought an AR in Feb or March. I was gonna have it with a quad rail, and put another Eotech on it. Then, when I was at the range shooting my PS90 1 day - it occurred to me. Why spend over $100 on a rifle and new optic, and come out to the same range, and shoot the gun just like I do my PS90. I can't see decently enough to use the EOtech at the 100 yard range - so I usually shoot it at 50 yards. What's the point in spending all that money to do the same thing. AND, I wasn't too keen on the current gas system and the fouling associated with ARs now.

So, I passed, and used the cash for more PS90 accessories and a Buckmark.

Now, I kinda have the itch again. But, I want a piston based Ar type of rifle, without spending as much or more than I did on my PS90. Right now, only the Sig556 is in the pricerange I want - and it is at the max. If I got it, I think I might buy a scope, and just use it like a varmit rifle. The max distance at my range is 100 yards, so that's as far as I would shoot.

I almost bought a varmint RRA AR in Feb, but as I said before, I don't care for the gas system on ARs.

I don't know... I would just buy a bolt action rifle and put a scope on it and spend less money - but I kinda want a semi auto rifle.

·
Vendor
5,651 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ship,

For the purpose you are talking about, a regular AR is not that bad. Remember that the piston AR "movement" is really a military one, and mainly for spec ops. The only piston upper I trust right now is the HK416. The major fault with the others is that they only added a piston, and didn't address the bolt and barrel configuration like HK did.

You should also try and get down for the big Houston gunshow next month. One of hte best in the country.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iraq Ninja said:
Ship,

For the purpose you are talking about, a regular AR is not that bad. Remember that the piston AR "movement" is really a military one, and mainly for spec ops. The only piston upper I trust right now is the HK416. The major fault with the others is that they only added a piston, and didn't address the bolt and barrel configuration like HK did.

You should also try and get down for the big Houston gunshow next month. One of hte best in the country.
Actually, I have been to that show many times, and I will be there next month. I plan to be there when the show opens on that Sat morning. I let to get to the show before everything gets pawed and scratched up :cool:

The SIg 556, a Beretta Cheetah and an HK45 are on my short list (the HK isn't out yet). I can but the Cheetah next month if I decide to get it. If I decide on the Sig 556 (or any AR), I would have to wait until the Jan show.

·
Vendor
5,651 Posts
(Interesting. Will an AR extending stock fit on it?) no

The lower receiver and the buttstock are all one piece. They are working on an extending stock version but that was over a year ago and I still haven't seen one yet. I like mine and just thought you might be interested.
:?

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK. All of these thoughts I have keep leading me back to - do I even want another rifle. Do I need one? No. But then again, I don't need anymore handguns. But, I keep buying ones I like.

I'm not sure if the PS90 will be my only rifle, or if I will get another. The problem is that all the rifles I like are super expensive. And, I can afford a handgun much easier than I can a rifle and all of the accesories that go with it. I have spent a small fortune on my PS90, and I can't afford to duplicate that process again.

I've been tempted to get one of the bolt action FN rifles... But, I don't know.... I wonder how often I'll go shoot it - it doesn't have the "kewlness" factor of the PS90. I guess that is what makes me look at all those quadrail Ars and the Sig 556. The SCAR looks nice, but I think that when it is released, it will be out of my pricerange too.

I've debated about getting a Beretta Storm. But, 9mm doesn't make the best 100 yard gun even with a magnified scope. And, the trigger isn't the best. It's sorta like trying to shoot a tight group at 100 yards with the PS90.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I feel your pain. I keep wanting to get a .50 sniper rifle, or a SAKO .308. etc. But, I really don't need to expand into that skill set just yet.

If you like HK, you have to meet my friend Josh down in Houston. He has a great HK collection of pistols and rifles. Since we got more than a few Houston members, how about a forum range party on that weekend? Josh and I are members of a private range that we can use in Friendswood.

The PS90 is a great choice for what you will probably need. Mine is shipping right now from Tanners and will be my work weapon of choice. I am installing a fake wall in my mustang's trunk, allowing me to hang the 90 just behind the rear seats. If I need it or my other toys, I just pull the seat down and grab it.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe we can work something out. After the show, Texas Armadillo and I might be meeting up. Not sure yet. The problem is that I don't wanna bring anything and leave it in the car during the show.

Let me see what Tex Armadillo wants to do, since I have that prior committment.

Or, we can pick another day. We'll see. It'd be nice to do it when the weather gets a bit cooler.

·
Registered
225 Posts
HONESTLY NOW, CAN WE GET OVER THIS PISTON THING?! i keep seeing this piston trend every where i go. ive been to combat and ive fired 1000s upon 1000s of rounds in training. everybody knows there is nothing worse for fouling a weapon than shoot blanks through it. WEAPONS MAINTANENCE IS ALWAYS YOUR FIRST PRIORITY AFTER SHOOTING. im so sick of hearing about this piston thing. the conventional design works. but it is the operators responiblity to maintain his equipment and a dumb little piston aint going to change that. and iv never heard of a modern firefight that was soooo long that the soldiers weapon failed before he ran out of ammo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts