FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Bushmaster Release

Bushmaster Firearms International, LLC (BFI) announced today that it has signed an exclusive license deal with Magpul Industries Corp. for the production, future development, and sales of Magpul’s prototype MASADA weapon system.

The Bushmaster ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) will initially be offered in 5.56 NATO, available for law enforcement and civilian purchase second quarter 2008. This release will be followed by military ACR versions in the 3rd quarter of 2008.

Without government funding or outside influence of any kind, the Masada concept was developed from scratch in Boulder, Colorado by Magpul’s Design Group. The Masada concept was first shown publicly at the 2007 Shot Show and its success prompted Magpul to spend a year redesigning the system for production.

The result is the ACR (Adaptive Combat Rifle) which keeps the fundamentals of the Masada concept with added advanced features such as firing pin block and true ambidextrous charging handle.

Among the ACR’s key features are a gas piston operating system, tool-less quick change barrel, multi-adjustable folding stock with integrated storage, and backward compatibility with a number of AR15/M16 parts. Due to similar operating controls, user transition from the M16 series of weapons is easily facilitated with minimal re-training.

The Bushmaster ACR will initially be available in 3 SKUS: Standard Carbine with fixed stock, Entry Carbine with folding stock, and Special Purpose Rifle with Precision Rifle Stock. Live fire demonstration and test and evaluations beginning in the end of March to qualified law enforcement, federal government agencies.

http://homelandsecurityleader.com/homeland-security/homeland-security/bushmaster-and-magpul-team-on-advanced-weapon/
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,591 Posts
Yeah, the Masada seemed great but I don't know about a Bushmaster Masada....Maybe if its cheap enough but even then...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Bushmaster - if you are listening, sending me one and I will be happy to field test it for you :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
jeez have you guys read the reviews on that link ship posted? people are maddd


this whole thing got me to think of bushmasters laughable attempt at making a bullpup

the m17.. the results were a clunky super heavy ugly weapon with a factory installed broken triggerpack

god save the masada
they should have asked rock river arms or something
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Even if Rock River made it (who could afford it then?), I'll still take a plain ol' Galil or AKM (or AKMS, AK-103, AK74M, etc) any day of the week. Interchangeable this, adjustable that doesn't make a better rifle, it just makes it more comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Adosh said:
this whole thing got me to think of bushmasters laughable attempt at making a bullpup

the m17.. the results were a clunky super heavy ugly weapon with a factory installed broken triggerpack
I seem to recall hearing that the M17S was not designed by Bushmaster. I don't remember the specifics, but I believe the gun was designed by an Australian company for the Australian military and LE. There was some sort of problem with it and the company shifted its focus to the American civilian market. It entered into an agreement with Bushmaster to make it for the American market. This was done to comply the Clinton AWB that had either just come into effect or was about to come into effect. -As some here recall, the Clinton AWB was more restrictive on firearms that needed to be imported into the country than those made domestically.

I have no interest in the Masada (regardless of manufacturer) other than the name choice that I think is a little odd. The defenders at Masada committed suicide instead of facing the Romans in combat. -I'll grant that it was a little creepy, but I do not believe that their mass suicide deprived the Romans of their victory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
That sucked, because I really was going to buy one. Now I'll be waiting for a couple of runs to go through, and if it's too late, so be it. BreakerDave, it's also no longer going to be called the Masada.

I said it on a different forum, and I'll preach it again (political BS aside). I'm SO ****ING GLAD that I got the XCR and didn't wait for any of the "vapor ware", it's so much more than these rifles that weren't here yet.

I guess it's a good move on Magpul's part, but I just wish that I could trust bushmaster a bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Gentlemen,

Might I suggest reading up on this topic a bit before you jump to conclusions. For those who don't know, Bushmaster has recently received several contracts to produce "tier 1" M4's for US forces operating overseas. They've also produced full up, Mil Spec M4's for the Italian Army and soon the Georgian Army. If they're capable of meeting DoD's TDP for the M4, I'm sure they can maintain good QC with the Masada/ACR.

I have no doubt in my mind the rifle will be exactly what eveyone's been hoping for. Just keep an open mind, that's all.


Tspeis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Not so fast now don't be touting how rigerous DOD testing is. Been there, done that and got a dresser full of t-shirts.

The fact is, the military buy tons of crap all the time. And when I say crap I dont mean that they buy alot of gear. I mean the gear is crap.

Crapy gear comes from big business and small. Mos recently Lochead Martin was building a crappy speed boat for the Navy and Coasties. A whistel blower informed the Navy and they were busted.

I used to submit RODS ( Craps that is juck from the manufacturer) Once a month. Trust me their is tons of bad gear getting dumped on the service. So this is no supprise. And as far as the Spaghetti eaters Army, well it serves them right to get some crappy guns from us after the crappy M9's they shipped to us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
i didnt say there was anything wrong with Bushmaster as a complete whole.. the have decent Metal lowers that ive used in parts ar15s before

but keep in mind, quick change barrel, 80% plastic is above and beyond bushmasters capability

as far as making m4s, its not hard to cast recievers on a gun thats been around 40+ years, and they most likely buy the trigger packs from someone else anyway

as far as current weapons US spec ops uses, i know for a fact army and AF use mostly hk416s and Colt m4s, and FN m4s, bushmaster is usually bought by nato ally countries
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Tspeis said:
Gentlemen,

Might I suggest reading up on this topic a bit before you jump to conclusions. For those who don't know, Bushmaster has recently received several contracts to produce "tier 1" M4's for US forces operating overseas. They've also produced full up, Mil Spec M4's for the Italian Army and soon the Georgian Army. If they're capable of meeting DoD's TDP for the M4, I'm sure they can maintain good QC with the Masada/ACR.

I have no doubt in my mind the rifle will be exactly what eveyone's been hoping for. Just keep an open mind, that's all.


Tspeis
I've read and haven't jumped to any conclusions. My worries are still valid in that Bushmaster is not only going to do a poor job of the manufacturing initially, but their customer service is still going to blow.

Manufacturing a BRAND NEW GUN, with relatively new composites, is completely different than taking an existing design, adding a few extras, and giving the DoD the cheapest price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
Has Magpul stated why they aren't going to be producing the Masada?

I can think of several valid reasons, but was interested if Magpul has actually said anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
McLovin said:
Has Magpul stated why they aren't going to be producing the Masada?

I can think of several valid reasons, but was interested if Magpul has actually said anything.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I read somewhere, that apparently they had no interest in actually mass manufacturing the rifle from the beginning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
So it's probably going to cost them to much to actually produce it and make a substantial profit......makes sense.

With that in mind, it's safe to say the Bushmaster will be able to produce it with less cost to them.......But do you guys think that Bushmaster will also increase the estimated price tag? Since it will say Bushmaster on the side.


Either way, I don't really care, the Masada didn't really interest me in the first place.......just looking for some discussion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
McLovin said:
So it's probably going to cost them to much to actually produce it and make a substantial profit......makes sense.

With that in mind, it's safe to say the Bushmaster will be able to produce it with less cost to them.......But do you guys think that Bushmaster will also increase the estimated price tag? Since it will say Bushmaster on the side.


Either way, I don't really care, the Masada didn't really interest me in the first place.......just looking for some discussion.
The price will probably be less than if it were from Magpul. Having Bushmaster on the side of a gun often brings the value DOWN :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
man... does anybody here even own a bushmaster, i do. i have a bushey m4 and used to have the m17. both worked great except the m17 was pick about magazines. wow i am so amazed by people sometimes. if it doesnt say "hk" or "colt" or "fn" people get all snooty and say its crap. get a grip what about all the great fal and g3 clones out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
LOWMANJASON said:
man... does anybody here even own a bushmaster, i do. i have a bushey m4 and used to have the m17. both worked great except the m17 was pick about magazines. wow i am so amazed by people sometimes. if it doesnt say "hk" or "colt" or "fn" people get all snooty and say its crap. get a grip what about all the great fal and g3 clones out there.
I have two friends with Bushmasters, and have seen 2 kaboomed carbon-15's. Back to the two friends with bushmaster "m4's" though, the one sold his a while ago because it was the most inaccurate AR that anyone has EVER seen. Supposedly it's something with the barrels that Bushmaster used. Either way, that gun blew. The other "m4" kept jamming (were talking ever couple of rounds, different mags, different ammo, it's the bushmaster gun/assembly, nothing else). He still owns it, but I don't know why.

So aside from that, no, I don't own a bushmaster. I think that I have good enough reasons NOT to own one. STAG on the other hand? I've got a bunch of them :? , and it's hardly comparative to the "COLT" name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
I can't speak for anyone else, but I never said Bushmaster put out inferior products. They just seem to have a hefty price tag. If Stag had bought the rights to the Masada I'd be asking the same questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
well bushmaster didnt design the carbon 15 so i wouldnt realy say it their design problem ( cant rationalize why they took it over though) ive never had a problem with my m4 and its as accurate as any AR ive ever fired, so... whatever. and at the time when i bought mine, i paid about 1000 for it and that was the going price. its too expencive i agree, but i couldnt find anything cheaper.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top