FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been getting to know my new 16s and being the inquisitive type that I am I had to go about taking it apart. Luckily, once reassembled there were no "extra" parts laying around.....whew. While disassembling I discovered there's exactly enough room in the lower cavity of the buttstock to hold two 123a lithium batteries without modification AND they appear to fit snug as bug so, no rattling noises = a good thing right? Some may have already discovered this storage area, some perhaps not, in any event I felt like sharing. This discovery works out well for me since I have a MagPul MOE+ grip with (2)AA or (2)AAA storage core that will keep my upcoming VCOG in the light. Should I choose to mount a tac light/laser they generally operate on 123a's and now I have a place for two extra 123a's as well. I'm not sure if the compartment is waterproof, I suspect not although I think there's enough brainpower in here to devise a waterproof solution.

Note: It would take a cartridge to remove the pin retaining the recoil pad but I surmise one would be readily available. :?

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
SeaMac. How hard was it to mod the MOE+? I have one on the way and I'm about to attempt it. I could use a few tips, most people seem to mod the MIAD grip.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good question Mil, I haven't done it yet. There are a few issues that need to be addressed before I go at it with sharp objects and power tools. I intend to document the process with photos for posterity. I'm hoping to have the grip on this weekend, I'll post the results if there are any afterwards...

SeaMac. How hard was it to mod the MOE+? I have one on the way and I'm about to attempt it. I could use a few tips, most people seem to mod the MIAD grip.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Thank you for forging the path sir! It seems the beaver tail on the MOE+ has much more material than the MIAD grip. I'm thinking that might be why more people mod the MIAD. I will be watching with intensity! :eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
A tip for modifying your grip: Use dental floss to check the space between the lower reciever and the grip when you are removing material from the MIAD. Simply put the floss between the grip and lower reciever then press them together while moving the floss around to find where the two parts are too tight. The floss will show you exactly where the parts are in contact and will save you a lot of time.

Hope this helps.
-Jeff

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jeff- I don't have the MIAD, I chose the more difficult of grips to modify, the rubberized MOE+, the dental floss is a great idea though, thanks!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
SeaMac-I saw your picture in the other thread, the MOE+ was on there. It looks like it's already fitting for a temp install?

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not quite there yet Mil, there's visible a gap that needs to be closed.

SeaMac-I saw your picture in the other thread, the MOE+ was on there. It looks like it's already fitting for a temp install?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
If you want storage, as well as a more natural stock angle, the VLTOR might be for you.

Ive since added a small tube of TW25 lube and there is still more room. Actually in my 17 the rear OEM sight and two Allen wrenches as well.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If you want storage, as well as a more natural stock angle, the VLTOR might be for you.

Ive since added a small tube of TW25 lube and there is still more room. Actually in my 17 the rear OEM sight and two Allen wrenches as well.
What was your criteria for picking those items?

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No wizzo, I'm good for storage thanks. I just wanted to point out to those who might not have known that there is room for two 123a batts in there. Those spares you're toting, they don't rattle around?

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Thank you for forging the path sir! It seems the beaver tail on the MOE+ has much more material than the MIAD grip. I'm thinking that might be why more people mod the MIAD. I will be watching with intensity! :eek:
I've done it with my 16, the maid is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I prefer the rubberized grip and I'm going to try to make the MOE+ fit like it was meant to.

I've done it with my 16, the maid is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
No wizzo, I'm good for storage thanks. I just wanted to point out to those who might not have known that there is room for two 123a batts in there. Those spares you're toting, they don't rattle around?
Nope, you'll see on the first photo everything is in plastic bags, and since the fit is pretty tight there isn't any noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts