FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow gun owners.
so here's my question I have for more knowledge folks than myself pertaining to the scar 16s and the ballistics of the 556. I'm currently debating the idea of building a precision rig off the 16s. I currently own a 16s but that has been sbr. I live in a area of texas that is flat and the longest shot I would be able to take would be 500 yards. Can a 556 drop a deer at that distance. Or should I jump to the scar 17? I like the idea of the cheap ammo with the 556. I also like to think of all my weapons having a "purpose" in a **** hits the fan situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I don't ever plan too, i have a dedicated 243 for that. Just wanting to know if It could get the job done if it came too it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Sure with a headshot, it will drop......... Scar 17 is far more appropriate for this application.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No responsible hunter is going to try to take a deer at 500-yds with a mouse gun caliber.
Heck, even though I know it can, I wouldn't ever even try with a .223 to take a deer at any range.. The higher probability for an inhumane kill (wound, long bleedout, not to mention long tracking where you might lose a trail) would prevent me from even entertaining the notion.

Weatherby 7mm or SCAR17 depending on the sight lines of my spot for me.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
A head shot at a deer from 500-yds out with a SCAR16? I doubt that it's capable of that sort of accuracy. Not unless you gut the rifle and change out practically everything and turn it into a precision piece.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Not with any sort of reliability. Assuming that you got a good lung shot, the deer will probably die eventually. Just keep in mind that animals are a lot tougher than people. Back in the days, I reasoned that a caliber that can put a human down fast will do the same to a deer of similar size & weight. Boy, was I wrong.

And I don't ever plan too, i have a dedicated 243 for that. Just wanting to know if It could get the job done if it came too it.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
A head shot at a deer from 500-yds out with a SCAR16? I doubt that it's capable of that sort of accuracy. Not unless you gut the rifle and change out practically everything and turn it into a precision piece.
He asked if it would drop a deer.... Which it would. I didn't say it was likely to happen.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
A 77gr bullet out of an 18-20in barrel could easily do one of those tiny West Texas deer but why bother when they already make an 8lb 7.62 version that will bag whatever size of deer you want at any range you can actually consistently hit with it?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Hello fellow gun owners.
so here's my question I have for more knowledge folks than myself pertaining to the scar 16s and the ballistics of the 556. I'm currently debating the idea of building a precision rig off the 16s. I currently own a 16s but that has been sbr. I live in a area of texas that is flat and the longest shot I would be able to take would be 500 yards. Can a 556 drop a deer at that distance. Or should I jump to the scar 17? I like the idea of the cheap ammo with the 556. I also like to think of all my weapons having a "purpose" in a **** hits the fan situation.
At 300 yards a 55 grain .223 has approximately the same energy as a 9mm at the muzzle.
At 500 yards it has about half of the 9mm at the muzzle and about twice that of a 22 LR at the muzzle.
At 800 yards it is about the same as a .22 LR.

If I was starving and I couldn't get any closer, I guess I would try the shot, I would try anything I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think I would have to agree with most of the others here, if I already had a 16S I would think the 17 would be a
better choice for a 2nd rifle. That kinda gives you the best of both worlds!
....Just my .02 worth.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts