* Short Gas System Rail Interface Handguard
* Extreme Duty Scope Mount
* Brass Savr for Extreme Duty Scope Mount
* SAW Pistol Grip
* ITC Cheekrest
* Round-type Israeli magazine release
* 7 Steyr FAL 20-round Magazines
* 1 FAL Metric Steel 5-round Hunting Magazine

Now, the real kicker... I'm getting it at dealer cost! :shock: My gun dealer buddy back home agreed to place the order for me. I figured I should go ahead and get one while I still can. Just in case... you know? :D Of course, just like the rest of my toys, I won't be able to take any pics of it until I get back home. :cry:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ftierson said:
Since I don't know when you're getting back home, any updates...?

Forrest
Not yet. To be honest, I'm not sure when I'm getting back home, either. They're saying I should be out of here by the end of October. I'll be sure to post pics when I do finally get to shoot it.

Oh, and welcome to the FN Forum! I'm flattered you posted a question in one of my threads as your first post! :?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I hope you do get to come home on time. I look forward to seeing your pics. I have the "Heavy Duty" scope mount on my DSA, it is rock solid. But a pain in the tail to remove and replace. Is that barrel chrome lined on yours?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Texas Armadillo said:
I hope you do get to come home on time. I look forward to seeing your pics. I have the "Heavy Duty" scope mount on my DSA, it is rock solid. But a pain in the tail to remove and replace. Is that barrel chrome lined on yours?
Thanks for the well wishes, TA! Is removing the heavy duty scope mount part of the cleaning process?

As far as the barrel being chrome lined, I'm not really sure. Would I have had to order that special, or would it have been included in the model I selected?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is removing the heavy duty scope mount part of the cleaning process?
No. Once you have it installed you pretty much leave it alone.
You can clean it just fine with it in place.

But before you go shoot it I would take it off if it is installed and clean the park off of all of the sliding surfaces. The last few DSA's I built on the park was pretty rough. Fine emory cloth and oil works well. I have used fine valve lapping compound also.

The underside of the feed lips will need some attention as well. The edges are pretty sharp and will dig into the round as it tries to feed. I have seen them actually crease the side of the casing.

I would take it a step further and trim the lips back some.
Insert a mag and scribe the under side of the receiver. File back until nearly at the lines and smooth it up.
The rounds will pop out and slide in the chamber so much easier.
Just don't go crazy with the file.

You should be able to rest the bolt against the base of the cartridge, let er fly and it should snap into battery. If not keep polishing.
Use dummy rounds or remove the firing pin and spring. Whatever makes ya comfy, just don't set one off in the house.

Then when it's all running smooth you can go to the range and use 1 mag to set the gas and sights instead of 10 mags to "break it in" .

Those are nice rigs, if I was going to have a carbine FAL that would be the one. A 16" barrel with a full length gas system looks kinda hacked off to me.

Ya better start buying ammo now and socking it away till ya get back.
The first time out with mine I went through 540 rounds.
Now that I think about it that's about what I shoot every time I take it out.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
As far as the barrel being chrome lined, I'm not really sure. Would I have had to order that special, or would it have been included in the model I selected?
I don't know either, I don't know if mine is, it never occured to me to look. :oops: I guess that's why I was curious. I went here and looked but it doesn't say. Not that it really matters. There is nothing at all wrong with non-chrome lined barrels. You will be able to tell by looking easy enough.

http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SA58TAC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts