FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anybody bought a car out of state? I'm in the market and found the car i want but am worried about the process in which to purchase it, have it delivered, and transferring the title and paying the local state taxes. The car is in Pennsylvania and I live in Houston. Do you think I could get the delivery cost included in the purchase price? Also, I have a vehicle I wanted to trade in, but since it is out of state, I would probably just sell my trade in vehicle here locally and just add that to the down payment price. I will get financing through my local bank to finance the rest of the amount. I work for an automotive group headquartered here in Texas and we own dealerships nationwide, so i was thinking there might be a possibility of having one of our dealerships here handling the transportation. Any advice or assistance is appreciated.

·
Vendor
1,757 Posts
I think you have to have it sent to an FFL in your state :)

Call your BMV, but the way it works in Ohio is that the guy in PA signs the back of the title and gets it notarized, and he writes in the purchase price.

You get the title and the car.
You go to a car dealer who will fill out a brief certificate attesting that the VIN number is the same as the VIN number on the title (or if you drive it to the BMV the clerk might do that as well).
You pay sales tax, and get a TX title in your name.

We are not supposed to pay sales tax on used goods, so it is actually a transfer fee, which happens to be the same price as sales tax, but never mind, I digress, so since this usage fee is based on the purchase price, you obviously DO NOT want to include shipping cost in the stated purchase price of the car.

Texas might be slightly different, but the local BMV will have the skinny, or look on-line and google it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Has anybody bought a car out of state? I'm in the market and found the car i want but am worried about the process in which to purchase it, have it delivered, and transferring the title and paying the local state taxes. The car is in Pennsylvania and I live in Houston. Do you think I could get the delivery cost included in the purchase price? Also, I have a vehicle I wanted to trade in, but since it is out of state, I would probably just sell my trade in vehicle here locally and just add that to the down payment price. I will get financing through my local bank to finance the rest of the amount. I work for an automotive group headquartered here in Texas and we own dealerships nationwide, so i was thinking there might be a possibility of having one of our dealerships here handling the transportation. Any advice or assistance is appreciated.
I live in PA and have bought cars out of state. I bought my car from a dealer in Rhode Island, and it was the cost of two one way tickets and the gas to drive back for me (but I like that sort of adventure). There are company's that deliver, but you may be best able to get the dealer to deliver. I am currently selling a car in PA (SUV actually) and I have to admit I would gladly, as an independent seller, knock down the price of the car to cover shipping. Ask and make offers. The worst they can do is say no. If you have more specific questions, feel free to ask. I've done this a few times.

·
Registered
604 Posts
The car is in Pennsylvania and I live in Houston. Do you think I could get the delivery cost included in the purchase price?
Depends. The norm is to add the delivery cost to the selling price. If it were a matter of a couple hundred miles, I'm sure the dealership would be willing to eat that cost. But from PA to TX? That's a pretty hard sell. Get your negotiating shoes on for that one.
Also, I have a vehicle I wanted to trade in, but since it is out of state, I would probably just sell my trade in vehicle here locally and just add that to the down payment
Your call. However, do you have a buyer for your car already lined up? If not, you might be waiting a while to sell it. Out of state trades aren't an issue for most dealerships, just make sure you have your annual TX state registration with the vehicle if you do decide to trade vice selling it on your own.

Tax, Tag and Title - It doesn't matter where the vehicle is bought, it matters where it's titled. In TX, as with many states, TTT is rolled into the car deal at the dealership of purchase. Since this is an interstate sale, the process is a little different. The taxes are different between the two states. If you want TTT as part of your car deal, ask for a copy of the purchase agreement/buyer's order to be sent to you. Take that copy to your local tax assessor and ask for a quote on the tax for the vehicle in question. Then request that the dealership add that amount to the price with a check in that amount be cut back to you to handle Texas tax, tag and title. When you receive your MSO (If a new car) in the mail, the check should be with it.

When you go to plate your new car, first go to the city/county tax office and pay your tax. Then head to the DMV for titling and plates.

FYI - Texas charges 6.25% on trade difference. If there is no trade then it's selling price less rebates (if it's a new car.)

·
Premium Member
10,669 Posts
I have purchased my last 5 vehicles out of state. I live in Ohio and flew out to Cali to pick up a Boxster s and drove it back cross country, then a G35x in Dallas(flew out), then a Rialta RV in Colorado(flew out), then a FX35 in Manassas va dealership(drove a rental car). A couple others I have forgotten. If you are paying cash, all you need is the title signed and notorized(not in some states though).

*Oh, I also hear that if you stop off in Montana you can register it there and not pay any taxes ;) Actually it is simple to do, just use the mailing address box as your current home address and pick a rental address out of their news paper for the home address(I hear).

I always inspect the car before I buy it, even new ones!! Oh, NEVER EVER trade a car in!! You will get screwed 100% of the time(no exceptions).

I was a new car sales manager for the better part of a decade. If it is a new car, dealers can do a dealer trade, but you would have to purchase it from your local dealer.

MP>

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I work for an automotive group headquartered here in Texas and we own dealerships nationwide, so i was thinking there might be a possibility of having one of our dealerships here handling the transportation. Any advice or assistance is appreciated.
Not to sound like a jerk but it sounds like you have "professionals" at your disposal that would be able to handle this for you very easily or at the least answer your questions definitively.

·
Vendor
3,283 Posts
I have also purchased cars from out of state. I went to check it out at the meet. What I did was found a garage , paid them $20 to put it up on a lift and went over it. The mechanics also became involved so I had 3 guy's looking at it. We all missed the Rod knock ( bearing going ) because when it is HOT you can't hear it on start up.
Had a bud ship a car, he found a delivery company to ship from PA to Minnesota for $400 back in 98. We were up there for de-programming .
I also have shipped pallets of landscaping stones from DuBois Pa to SW MI ( 4000 #'s worth ). What I did was find a carrier ( trucking Co ) to grab it on a return leg of a route ) got away with $300-$400 that was 8 years ago.
Guess my point being , many ways to ship something.
You could also contact a car dealer in your area, get some contact info on a carrier that ships auto's and maybe have something worked out on a leg of a trip ???

Quote from MP_Ohio :
I always inspect the car before I buy it, even new ones!!

Me Too !

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I have purchased my last 5 vehicles out of state. I live in Ohio and flew out to Cali to pick up a Boxster s and drove it back cross country, then a G35x in Dallas(flew out), then a Rialta RV in Colorado(flew out), then a FX35 in Manassas va dealership(drove a rental car). A couple others I have forgotten. If you are paying cash, all you need is the title signed and notorized(not in some states though).

*Oh, I also hear that if you stop off in Montana you can register it there and not pay any taxes ;) Actually it is simple to do, just use the mailing address box as your current home address and pick a rental address out of their news paper for the home address(I hear).

I always inspect the car before I buy it, even new ones!! Oh, NEVER EVER trade a car in!! You will get screwed 100% of the time(no exceptions).

I was a new car sales manager for the better part of a decade. If it is a new car, dealers can do a dealer trade, but you would have to purchase it from your local dealer.

MP>
I have one thing to say to that.... you have good taste in cars... :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
I bought a used car from AZ once, I live in NM. I went out and trailered it back. To get the title transferred I had to take the vehicle to the MVD to do a VIN inspection. From what I understand, AZ has gone to a paperless title system which makes getting titles out of state more difficult.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts