FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope one someone can answer this for me: Will FNH have caliber conversion kits to convert the SCAR 17S (.308) to a SCAR 16S (.223)?

It is to my understanding that the SCAR series is capable of it, but will actual conversion kits be made available to the public?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
That conversion would probably never happen. It has been talked about going from 7.62X51 to 7.62X39 in the H and 5.56 to 6.8 in the L.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I asked FN about caliber conversion between .308 and .223 and they said they will not be supporting this.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I think it was stated in a Q&A that FN was working on the 6.8 SPC for the military. Haven't heard anything about 7.62X39 yet though. They will probably want to fill the military contract before they start working on that stuff.

The 7.62X39 conversion was originally in the SOCOM SCAR trials request, so I would assume SOCOM would request it at some point in time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When reading about the SCAR I was led to believe that the H would accept field pickup AK mags and not need a new barrel or anything fancy to fire them.

Is this true? I'd love it to be so, I have an AK and would like to shoot the cheaper X39 ammo at the range through my future 17s.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
dudeskis said:
When reading about the SCAR I was led to believe that the H would accept field pickup AK mags and not need a new barrel or anything fancy to fire them.

Is this true? I'd love it to be so, I have an AK and would like to shoot the cheaper X39 ammo at the range through my future 17s.
At the moment, it's not true. It was proposed by SOCOM, but at the minimum, you would likely need a new (longer) bolt, due to the length differences of the two rounds.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
The SCAR 17 is not going to happen here in the U.S. FN Herstal is dragging its feet on the delivery of the SCAR 16, never mind the 17. The guns components are sent here from Herstal and assembled here @ FNH USA. They (FN) are not manufacturing the SCAR platform here.

I'll wait until I get what I can get from FNH USA, and in the interim, I'm picking up the SIG 556 Classic. It will keep me busy until my SCAR is born. :grin:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There is an update from FNH USA as of 02/28/09: The SCAR 17 is to be released sometime in 2010. So, legislation allowing, it will be available.

·
Banned
36 Posts
I think it was stated in a Q&A that FN was working on the 6.8 SPC for the military. Haven't heard anything about 7.62X39 yet though. They will probably want to fill the military contract before they start working on that stuff.

The 7.62X39 conversion was originally in the SOCOM SCAR trials request, so I would assume SOCOM would request it at some point in time.
Any updates yet on caliber conversion kits ?

·
Registered
22,109 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought that FN will be making the conversion for the 17 to use .223..... Thats why the military ordered all those 17's

·
Registered
772 Posts
I think SOCOM ordered the 17 is because they are tired of having to settle for a 5.56mm round. They need more range and more punch. They are not set up to overwhelm with volume giay nam vnxk. If they want to use a light round, they have M4's. 101

1 - 17 of 17 Posts