FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if the FN 45 is california legal???
Does anyone know??
Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
belgianbeast said:
With the new rules California has implemented, FN will not even try to get 45 approved. It would be waste of time and money.
What new rules are you referring to? What would make the FN-45 ineligible when the FN-9 and FN-40 have been approved? I've been reviewing the California approved list and there are still many new handguns being added. Not that I like the restrictions here; I just don't know has changed recently.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/ shows that there have been no recent regulations approved and no new regulations are proposed.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
He might mean legislation. Isn't someone out there trying to have manufacturers make guns that microstamp the shell casings or something stupid like that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
As far as proposed gun laws, I don't believe that any gun manufacturer in its right mind would stop submitting handguns for approval. If anything, I would think they would want to speed up the process as there would rush by gun enthusiasts to buy more handguns before a new law went into effect. Just like the nation-wide rush now that Obama has been elected.

FN is probably just too busy meeting demand in other states since the dreaded November elections to spend time submitting another handgun for California approval. Just a guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Frankly, I don't see the FNP-45 becoming legal in California because of the hi-cap magazine. The hi-cap magazine is its primary raison d'etre. If you limited it to a 10-rounder, effectively you've got a well-made but LARGE S&W M&P 45. I suspect FNH may not be willing to make the investment, and the public may not be willing to buy without the hi-cap.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't understand that logic. The same can be said for the majority of handgun models available in California. If I'm limited to 10 rounds and don't need something very compact, the 45 acp gives more firepower. The investment by the manufacturer in a smaller magazine is minimal and the California market is huge. If they are going through the effort to introduce their other models into California they can spread some of their costs over greater volume by adding another popular model.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I think FN would do fairly well selling them in California. The cost for making/redesigning the mags is minimal and would be offset rather quickly. California is a large market that shouldn't be overlooked, and if more restrictions are coming (which would lead to costlier modifications), FN would be wise in hurrying the process up to maximize profits.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There are always more laws proposed in California but most still don't become law. I guess I become immune to all of the "noise" after a while. After quite a bit of searching, I did find that the microstamping law did get signed into law on October 13, 2007. All guns now already on the DOJ list by January 1, 2010, will be deemed to be "unsafe". If the firearm is already on the approved list before then, it can still be sold until it's approval expires. One source estimates that this will add $200 to the cost of a weapon. Maybe FN is purposely delaying submission for approval to get a longer window after the law goes into effect, though that's just a guess. There will surely be a surge in sales so FN should be able to do very well by going through the hoops necessary to get it approved before then.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I think U will eventually see many gun companies refusing to sell in CA. It is my understanding that STI refuses to do so, and to deal with LEOs in CA as well.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
raggededge said:
From the December FNH Q&A:

FNMAN said:
3. When will the FNP 45 be sold in California? At this point it won't due to the inability to meet CA requirements.
I wonder why that is. Is it just the mag capacity? because I can't think of anything else that is any different from the Cali-legal FNP-9's and 40's.

·
Registered
873 Posts
It's the micro stamping requirement.

Mag capacity is not the issue, as 10 round mags for the FNP-45 already exist.

Once micro stamping becomes mandatory you will see a wholesale abandoning of the California market by arms manufacturers, which is just what the loons in Sacramento want.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't believe it's the microstamping issue as the California law doesn't require that until 1/1/2010 and even then guns that are on the approved "safe list" can still be sold. However, the law does require handguns to have a magazine disconnect unless they were on the approved list already as of 1/1/2006 so that may be the difference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
California has passed a new rule. Somebody with no gun knowledge must be able to identify while being two feet away if a gun has a looaded chamber or not. Just another no logic law to keep guns out of California.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I thought I posted a link to the CA law earlier. See http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1451-1500/ab_1471_bill_20071013_chaptered.pdf which was signed into law in October 2007, known as the Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007 (too bad it doesn't just apply to guns used in crimes!). The amended code showed the the requirement for the "loaded chamber indicator" AND a "magazine disconnect" was required commencing 1/1/2007, so it was apparently part of an older law. Between 1/1/2006 AND 1/1/2007 and handgun was deemed "safe" if EITHER was present.

The FNP-9 and FNP-40 have the loaded chamber indicator so I assume the FNP-45 does also and that's why I assumed it was probably the magazine disconnect requirement that makes it ineligible for sale in CA. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're right. The 45 does have a loaded chamber indicator, but not mag disconnect. It was also not out/not submitted by the time those laws were signed in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts