FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First pic of the neutering done to convert the PS90 to a fixed-magazine configuration. I followed Hypertex's (from Calguns.net) tips and improved upon them a little bit:

1) Bought a .012 strip of stainless steel, 12" long by .75" wide from Ace True Value hardware. Aluminum is definitely softer and easier to cut, but it is also harder to fold without cracking.

2) Measured the steel per Hypertex's diagram here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=52781&highlight=california+ps90&page=4

Then added about 0.5" of length so that I could fold-over the steel to offer a rounded edge at the front (no need to do so on the other three sides--only the front edge is exposed to the user).

3) I didn't bother measuring the strip for the cuts and just used a Dremel tool with cutting wheel to cut the slots into the metal strips by eye. I also noticed that the strip doesn't need to be cut down in height in order to fit perfectly--just three nice little slots that line up with the internal bulkheads.

4) The fold-overs that I did were towards the outside of the stock, so that the sharp edge would not rub against the magazine catch on the inside.

5) I cut the finger-grips off the plastic magazine catch easily with the Dremel tool. Cut them flush to the sides of the catch.

6) Then, sand the catch completely flat on both sides, where they would be touching the stainless steel strips.

Here's a photo of the end result:

Other photos will follow--I might take the stock apart again and show the metal strips and the cut-off magazine catch, but Hypertex did a good job of showing the innards already.

Most likely, the next photos will be of the forward-mounted fake can I'll use to reach the 30" OAL.

-----

P.S. For those of you considering this approach to affixing the magazine, I'm not sure I entirely recommend it. It's actually hard to swipe a credit card through the space between the magazine and the catch without totally mangling the credit card, and there are few plastics tough enough to do the job and yet remain flexible enough to arc in a near semi-circle. I'm currently using a plastic parking pass that's more flexible than a credit card.

I chose this approach over the drill-the-magazine-and-make-it-too-fat-to-remove-from-the-PS90-magwell approach because that approach means that you cannot use multiple magazines. I have seven PS90 10-rnd mags and prefer to swap mags (it helps to have a buddy or girlfriend with you who can reload the empty mags while you shoot and for whom you can reload mags while they shoot).

But the worst part is that in a SHTF situation, you cannot reload your weapon without having a credit-card tool to swipe through. Once you've fired your ten rounds (in Calif.), that's it, even if you have a case of extra ammo. The "fathead-magazine" approach at least allows you to load the weapon without any tools--and for this reason, I may take one of my seven mags and convert it into a fathead-magazine, installing a replacement, virgin magazine catch back into the weapon.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Wow...that baby has seen some use!

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
You can always see mine :?

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
ehhh no idea to be honest although the surface is rather porous

·
Banned
4,097 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some further testing, I noted that the magazine release guards were chipping the lower lip of the magazine, so I re-opened the stock to make a few improvements.

Here are the pics of what I figured out.

Basically, the guards need to be pulled back into the stock so that they are not visible from the top at all.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Nice work! :shock:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, and you're welcome!

Glad to share the findings... I'm hoping more people will import PS90s into Kalif. once they understand how easy and affordable it is! One .75in strip of stainless steel, a Dremel tool or steel snips, sandpaper, and a fake can is all it takes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
ps90-ca

I just ordered mine...all together with tax and dros----2500. ouch. you guys in the real states have it lucky. i bit the big one because of these upcoming elections. it takes four weeks for the modding but i am half way done should get it by mid november...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DUUUDE--you should have bought it from out of state and transferred it in! I bought mine for $1650 from North Carolina. DROS and FFL transfer fee added $110. Plus, there's no sales tax for mail-order sales!

Oh well, there's always the next time... PS90s are best bought in pairs! Or maybe you need a FS2000 to keep your PS90 company...

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Return that 2500 '90 and get one for ~1500 and do the mods ur self and send me the rest in saving as a good gesture :? :lol: I have a paypal acct btw :lol: :lol: :twisted:

·
Registered
48 Posts
man i didnt even know i could do that...i was getting ready to dish out another 2500+ for the fs2000 if obama wins in november.....i am getting a fs2000 soon so how do i go about doint that? i was going through lanworldinc.com for CA compliant guns....i thought they had to to be compliant to buy...i guess you guys are saying you CAN buy them but if you get caught with a non compliant one you can get busted???am i right....?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can't transfer in a non-Calif.-compliant weapon, nor can you possess one at any time, whether you get busted or not.

The key is that there's no "constructive possession" in the "assault weapons" ban in Calif., which means that you can own and import the parts needed to build a so-called "assault weapon." (Constructive possession does apply when referring to fully-automatic weapons, so be careful!)

So, if you import the PS90 disassembled, it does not have to be Calif. compliant as long as it's in pieces. But, it must be Calif.-compliant before you assemble it into a complete weapon, so you MUST make all the modifications to the weapon before you put it together, which for the PS90 are to affix the magazine or fill in the thumbholes AND extend the overall length beyond 30"

Same goes for the FS2000...

If you happen to find a great deal on a PS90 or FS2000 online but the seller refuses to ship to California, talk to Adam at Freakshow Manufacturing www.freakshowbullets.com. He's a great guy and a huge help to California gunners. What he does is act as a middleman FFL for a ridiculously low fee, plus shipping. He even adds bullet buttons and disassembles mags and weapons for free before shipping them on to your California-based FFL!

So, say you want to buy a PS90 cheap from Tanner's, and they won't ship to Calif. Have them ship to Freakshow, then have Freakshow ship to your FFL here--say, Ammo Bros. in Cerritos. Adam can split the gun up and send the serialized upper to Ammo Bros. while sending the stock to you.

By the way, since you're election-concerned, you might want to pick up two or three extra "Off-List Lower" stripped lower receivers for an AR-15 clone while you're at it. They run between $100 and $200 apiece, and they are the only part that needs to be DROSed out of the entire AR-15 platform. That way, you can buy two or three extra "rifles" for only a few hundred bucks, then build out the rest of the rifles later when finances permit.

See Calguns.net for instructions on how to build an AR-15. I highly recommend Stag or Spike's Tactical lower receivers for those on a budget and Noveske for those where money is no object.

If you're looking for a affordable, complete AR-15-type rifle, check out Adam's prebuilt Calif.-compliant rifles at: http://www.freakshowbullets.com/product_info.php?cPath=52_88&products_id=257

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And now, to finish up this thread: the final pics!

With the MFI fake can bought from MagazineParts.com, the overall length is exactly 31" inches with the can installed where it's supposed to go. The new can came with four green-nylon-tipped set screws, which are supposed to protect the finish of the barrel. These tips compress quite a bit, so you'll have to crank the set screws down pretty far, and you should always check "every 10 shots" to make sure they haven't backed out (according to the instructions). I'll crank 'em down till they hold steady, then put a little loctite on 'em.

UPDATED: Please be sure that the set screws in the fake can are being screwed down onto metal. Two of the set screws on my fake can were accidentally screwed into the slots in the flash hider, which made removing the can for cleaning a pure nightmare. I had to drill out the set screws and re-tap the holes with an 8-32 tap. Luckily, the set screws are commonly-available 5/16" 8-32.

And here we go!

Easy as pie!

Oh, and I'll probably start a thread on how I made my FS2000 California legal, as soon as all the parts come in. It IS legal right now, but I'm waiting on Radd to finish designing the new Raddlock for the FS2000--a much more elegant method than I'm using right now.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts