FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the hinge pin on the folding stock of a SCAR??

To make it "Kalifornia" compliant, I need to fix the stock in place so it cannot fold. The first step is to drift out the pin in the hinge. It appears to be a spring pin with a lot of tension on it. Before I force it too much, someone please tell me how to remove it the easy way??

This SCAR Heavy is one bad ass rifle. Can't wait to own it, even if I have to neuter it first. :th_049:

·
Administrator
11,187 Posts
How do you remove the hinge pin on the folding stock of a SCAR??

To make it "Kalifornia" compliant, I need to fix the stock in place so it cannot fold. The first step is to drift out the pin in the hinge. It appears to be a spring pin with a lot of tension on it. Before I force it too much, someone please tell me how to remove it the easy way??

This SCAR Heavy is one bad ass rifle. Can't wait to own it, even if I have to neuter it first. :th_049:
Welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The left coast tactical site doesnt work. Where can I get one of these?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Im the only one who has posted on there FB page in over a year.

·
Registered
712 Posts
mine has 1 pin above & 1 pin below the buttons. then pinned the adjustment on the underside. i live in NJ and folding/collapsing stock is a no-no.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Wellll, no response from Left Coast Tactical for me either. I guess this guy is a dead end.
I will make a version of the stock latch that needs an allan wrench to depress it this weekend. I will post pics when done. I am also going to make a block that will keep the slide latch from being pressed, to make it legal for the ban states.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I will make a version of the stock latch that needs an allan wrench to depress it this weekend. I will post pics when done. I am also going to make a block that will keep the slide latch from being pressed, to make it legal for the ban states.
Im real interested in seeing how this turns out! :-o

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Im just going to do what they showed. Drill a hole in the stock latch and press a nut in side of it. Get a long allan set screw and a backer of some kind. I just cant use a penny, money is disease covered, change is the worst.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Im just going to do what they showed. Drill a hole in the stock latch and press a nut in side of it. Get a long allan set screw and a backer of some kind. I just cant use a penny, money is disease covered, change is the worst.
:? :-o

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Ok so heres what I did
002 (3).jpg Where it says (Deep .96) disregard.
003 (3).jpg Nut before inserting
004.jpg Spacer needs to be cut shorter
005.jpg After melting nut into latch, the spacer is inside.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
006.jpg From top after drilling the alen wrench hole
007.jpg The set screw still needs to be cut flush.
008.jpg With alan wrench inserted
009.jpg #8 Cut flush fully unscrewed
010.jpg How it looks working

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
011.jpg So what we got. A 3/8 nut, 3/8 x 1" set screw, 3/8 steel spacer.
As you see measure the depth of the latch. My measurements are on the paper. Cut the spacer to let the nut sink flush with the latch. The nut is bigger than the inside of the latch, thats good. Use a long (3") set screw or bolt in the nut to heat it with a small soldering torch. When hot enough, with the spacer already installed, push the nut into the inside of the latch melting and making a nice perch for the nut. You will need to cut the set screw so when its unscrewed all the way (flush) as seen in pic #8 it is flush. Then I drilled through the latch through the nut with a bit just large enough for the hex key to fit through. Then insert until it snaps in, straiten the stock, clockwise turn the alan wrench till its tight against the housing. Now you dont have a foldable stock.

I in no way am saying this will or is legal to qualify as a fixed non folding stock. I will just keep it this way till I am forced to change it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
That's great! Thanks for posting this. The guys that modified my rifle did it the old fashioned way. They glued it... (can I get a collective groan,​ brothers & sisters!). This is pretty much forcing me to buy a replacement stock & keep it stashed away for when we finally pull the ejection handle and Un-ass the PRK.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts