FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one? Can you review it? Provide the good bad and ugly. How does the VZ-58 rank in the pecking order of AK's? I was thinking of looking into one of those. Are they worth the exta dough?

Thanks,

·
Registered
178 Posts
No experience with one, but FYI the only thing the VZ-58 has in common with the AK is the similar styling. Totally different gun with no interchangeable parts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone told me/said it was is a MP-44 design adapted for the soviet 7.62x39. Is this true? I really like these and have been wanting to get one. But they are pretty expensive so I was hoping to someone who has a little first hand experience to tell me if they are worth the premium.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've not seen anything about them being based on the MP-44; it's possible the design was influenced by the MP-44 some. I can't remember which magazine it was that reviewed it last year, but they were pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Does anyone have one? Can you review it? Provide the good bad and ugly. How does the VZ-58 rank in the pecking order of AK's? I was thinking of looking into one of those. Are they worth the exta dough?

Thanks,
Absolutely. More accurate and reliable. Milled reciever, very nice fit and finish. It is "THE" cadillac of all AK variants.

-TH

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is "THE" cadillac of all AK variants.
...except that it isn't an AK variant. The Vz.58 uses a tilting bolt, similar to the SKS, StG44, SVT-40, FAL, FN M1949, etc. Also, it has a linear striker mechanism, more like that of a Glock pistol or most old bolt-action rifles, rather than a hammer and simple firing pin. Furthermore, it's short-stroke gas operated, like an SKS. here's a picture of it with the bolt open:

·
Registered
873 Posts
Other than the cartridge, it has nothing in common with the AK 47.

Even the magazines are unique to it.

And it's expensive.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone!

I really want one of these. I'm looking for a gently used one. If you ever run across one please let me know! I was saving up for one but we had nice storms come across this week and it stripped part of my house of siding. So now I have divert some "gun funds" to the Fix the @#[email protected]#$ "house funds".

Also report all you range time with those you come across and review if you can.

I'm a thank'n ya!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts