FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recognize I’m on the 20 thread ;)
Ive had several 17s over the years and have decided to sell several guns concentrating on having one ‘go-to‘ rifle. This will be used for SHTF/defense as well as hunting deer and pig. My thought was to find another 17s and move in but the 20 is incredible looking! Saw a pic where the barrel was cut to 16” and it blew me away.....so nice. Because I will use a suppressor, I’ll probably have the barrel cut as well.

Chief concern is weight. I’m certainly not weak and unless things truly do **** the bed, carrying to the deer stand or stalking should not be mush of a problem.

Obviously, the 20 will set me back another $800 or so.

So, which would you choose in this scenario? Thanks in advance y’all.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A 20" barrel is the sweet spot for .308 performance. For this reason alone I'd choose the 20s, but then there is also the longer handguard, etc.

·
Registered
816 Posts
tough question.
if i could only have one, it would be the one with the longest effective range.
of course, i am old and wouldn't even run if a tsunami was coming, so my opinion is a bit warped.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Had a 17...jumped on a 20 when I could...I wouldnt cut the barrel...but knock yourself out if you want to....20" with the 20S is awesomeness...

Is it heavy...yes...but it is balanced...

SCAR 17 is a great general purpose .308...hands down...never will say otherwise...

SCAR 20 for me is a do-it-all...for example...my former M14 EBR was 19lbs kitted out...vs 13.5lbs with the 20S...

With the prices of 17s right now...I don't see a reason not to go with the 20S...you get a better stock...better upper..better trigger...even if you cut it to 16"...it is a better platform in that regard...

Here is a guy running an ACOG TA55 with M80 ball to some real distances...

·
Registered
271 Posts
My 20s is over 18lbs with optic, can and bipod. A good chunk of that is the optic. Vortex Razor HD Gen2. Optic is 4lbs and my mount is over 10oz. Sub 1/2 MOA gun and smacks plates at 1k yards with boring regularity. My 17 is right at 10lbs ready to go without mag. The 17 will be a far more flexible use item than the 20 IMHO. I’ve run my 17 through bunches of two gun matches, a two gun biathlon, half a dozen classes including CQB shoot house stuff and humped it all over the place. I think about doing all that with the 20 even with a lighter optic setup and can conclude that all that would be a much bigger PITA with the longer heavier piece. My .02 worth. YMMV.

·
Registered
816 Posts
My 20s is over 18lbs with optic, can and bipod. A good chunk of that is the optic. Vortex Razor HD Gen2. Optic is 4lbs and my mount is over 10oz. Sub 1/2 MOA gun and smacks plates at 1k yards with boring regularity. My 17 is right at 10lbs ready to go without mag. The 17 will be a far more flexible use item than the 20 IMHO. I’ve run my 17 through bunches of two gun matches, a two gun biathlon, half a dozen classes including CQB shoot house stuff and humped it all over the place. I think about doing all that with the 20 even with a lighter optic setup and can conclude that all that would be a much bigger PITA with the longer heavier piece. My .02 worth. YMMV.
i'm gonna sit my 20S on a tripod and provide withering cover fire from 800+ for the guys with the legs to run around with their carbines. my days of being operator af are long gone. :p
that whistling sound just before the zombie in front of you exploded?
that was me.

Reactions: thehun

·
Registered
320 Posts
The biggest weight differentiator in my opinion in the 20s is the precision stock...that bad boy is heeeaaavy...I am tossing the idea around of running it like the French...20" barrel with standard 17 stock....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ive had several 17s over the years and have decided to sell several guns concentrating on having one ‘go-to‘ rifle. This will be used for SHTF/defense as well as hunting deer and pig. My thought was to find another 17s and move in but the 20 is incredible looking! Saw a pic where the barrel was cut to 16” and it blew me away.....so nice. Because I will use a suppressor, I’ll probably have the barrel cut as well.

Chief concern is weight. I’m certainly not weak and unless things truly do **** the bed, carrying to the deer stand or stalking should not be mush of a problem.

Go with the 17S, it's more of a utilitarian piece while the 20S is a specialized piece. I don't hunt any more but if I were to hunt (and for some ungodly reason I'd want to use a military rifle instead of a hunting rifle), I'd rather tote the 17 around than the 20.

The 20 may have an edge is minute accuracy, but hunting wise that shouldn't be an issue. Then this whole thing about cutting the 20 barrel down to 16" to use silencer...hell, the 17's barrel is already at 16".

·
Registered
320 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting down the barrel from 20" to 16"....even FN offers that to the military/LE in the 20S chassis...its called the PR designation...some prefer the longer receiver and the precision stock over the 17 platform...

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with cutting down the barrel from 20" to 16"....even FN offers that to the military/LE in the 20S chassis...its called the PR designation...some prefer the longer receiver and the precision stock over the 17 platform...
Well, there you go. The OP can decide which platform he prefers for hunting and etc.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. Knowing the 17:can be hard on optics, does the 20 carry that same reputation? I ask because I have a Trijicon thermal and should have mentioned that on the front end. I’m actually leaning 20s given I have several other weapons for ‘battle’ should things ever come to that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have both, I prefer my 20s.

I concluded, that in a shtf scenario. I am not going to be clearing houses. If anything is that close, that is why I carry a sidearm.

I do not know if the 20s can still damage optics. I haven't read anyone having that issue as of yet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
You said, "This will be used for SHTF/defense as well as hunting deer and pig."
I have both rifles and for your mentioned wants/needs, I would definately choose the 17S with a 6x or 8x scope. The 17S is much more multi-use capable.

Reactions: sarsippius

·
Registered
167 Posts

I went with the Scar 17 and purchased both the 13" & 20" barrels. I dare say my 17 with the 20" barrel is every bit as accurate as a Scar 20, is lighter, easier access to the gas system & you cannot SBR a 20. I found both of my NIB FN barrels on the interweb for $900 or less each. I use an Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6X for the 13" and a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm M5 A with a 34mm tube for the 20" barrel. Just about as good as it can get...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks everyone. Knowing the 17:can be hard on optics, does the 20 carry that same reputation? I ask because I have a Trijicon thermal and should have mentioned that on the front end. I’m actually leaning 20s given I have several other weapons for ‘battle’ should things ever come to that.
To me, this is a key question. Does the 20S beat optics into submission like the 17S does...?

Because the longevity of your optic also is a limiting factor if we are talking about a go-to SHTF type multi purpose rifle. Amazon likely won’t be delivering replacement scopes in 2 days or less in an SHTF scenario.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts