FN Herstal Firearms banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
To me, this is a key question. Does the 20S beat optics into submission like the 17S does...?

Because the longevity of your optic also is a limiting factor if we are talking about a go-to SHTF type multi purpose rifle. Amazon likely won’t be delivering replacement scopes in 2 days or less in an SHTF scenario.
All Leupold optics have a LIFETIME replace/repair guarantee...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am struggling with this choice, myself.

Had a 17S but the optics destroying thing was annoying.

Love the 20S but damn its a big girl.

I’m in my 40s now and only getting older, so am I really going to move around with a 17S? Or hang out at the tripod with the 20S?

I see the value in the 20S with Geissele etc.

I feel like I could hunt with the 20S on a tripod. I would probably get some funny looks hunting in the woods with a black 17S.

Definitely appreciate any more comments.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’m the same age and have no trouble slinging my 13” and 16” SCARs in the woods. I like the portability and mix use of the 17S. The 20S is a stationary rifle for me given it’s intended use of shooting 600+ yards. IMHO less need for portability when shooting at distance. So for me intended use dictates platform.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They're both heavy weapons, especially when fully kitted out with optics, bipod, full magazine, etc. If I had to carry one around, it would be the 17S, as it's slightly lighter than thge 20S. You could get close to having the best of both worlds by equiping the 17S with the 20" barrel. While not the heavy profile of the 20S barrel, you can get near to comparable long range accuracy with the 17S as you can with the 20S. Of course there's the issue of the extra +/-$1200 to purchase a 20" barrel for the 17S which puts it well over the cost of just buying the 20S in the 1st place. Either way, they're both SCAR's and you'll be happy which ever way you decide to go...

21 - 25 of 25 Posts