FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this form and the reason I joined is because of a concern I had about the FNS9 4".
I was looking at one the other day at a local gun store getting my first impressions. Giving it a close look I was ok with everything except for one flaw. My concern is with the plastic of the FNS, the front rail mount pictured here moved a good 1/8", wasn't sitting straight from the get go. It was pretty apparent when I took the firearm that the front rail piece wasn't aligned up with the slide but rather bent downward.
FNS9 Flaw.jpg

And when moved up and down the whole trigger guard was moving with it. This really shouldn't be happening on a brand new firearm. My concern is over time as the gun goes through the heating cycles will this flaw become an issue with the operation of the FNS.

I've handled few other polymer based firearms like XDM and M&P and they both seem to be made of sturdier resin. Should these be pliable or brittle polymer resins, do manufacturers test their batches of polymer for consistency as part of the QC process?

Can somebody confirm this with their 4" and full slide FNS9's.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
20 Posts
The forward section of polymer has a slight bend on mine as well. It flexes when you squeeze the slide and attachment rail.

Doesn't seem to affect function though. I never noticed it until someone else brought it up on this forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, do you notice your trigger guard moving as you squeeze rail and slide? Lock the slide back then continue to bend it upwards free hand see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for validating that, to me it shouldn't do that. I hope that they get to address this soon.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Search "Glock Pignose" it's the same deal. Any polymer framed gun can show this (I have seen a couple M&P's that had the 'pig nose').

What some people do is take a hair drier or heat gun and heat up that portion of the frame and place it on a flat surface and allow it to cool (and it should remain flat after you do this).

My poly pistols have not exhibited this (or very very slightly that I don't notice it). My 9 has 8500 some odd rounds through it and it hasn't changed. I have gotten it very hot as well, but your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The frame is suppose to be like that. It has to flex as its engineered to affect slide velocity. If the frame is to stiff slide velocity increases then you have FIF malfuctions because the slide outruns the magazines ability to properly feed the gun. The dust covers on all polymer pistols are designed to flex like that to some degree. Hope this helps

Reactions: Dirty_Harry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've decided to stick with my Browning Hi-Power, no frame flex there and no failures of any kind.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If your used to all steel guns you won't understand.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nor has the op!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a SIG SP2022 that has the same "flaw". No failures of any kind so far, and the rail mounted laser holds zero after 1,000 rounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts