FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the trituim in the black ring sight replaceable or does the sight become useless when the trituim wears out?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
i seriously doubt you can replace it on the stock stight. but the half life of tritium is a little over 12 years. that'll last long enough for the next gen of battery-less sight that is sure to pop up in the next 50 years.

/1 edit for grammar

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unless you've owned the gun for about 12 years, you shouldn't have to worry about it. 12 years is the half life of the isotope. After that, I think it'd probably be cheaper to just buy new tritium sights and install them as a whole.

Zhur

*edit acmeraptor, you beat me to it by thaaaaaaat much!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
*edit acmeraptor, you beat me to it by thaaaaaaat much!
neener neener neeeeener. j/k buddy :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
i seriously doubt you can replace it on the stock stight. but the half life of tritium is a little over 12 years. that'll last long enough for the next gen of battery-less sight that is sure to pop up in the next 50 years.

/1 edit for grammar
Tritium's half life is 12 years, as mentioned above. Which means in 12 years it will be half as bright as it is now. Then is another 12 years it will be 25% as bright as it was new. So in 12 years I bet someone will have figured out a better sight, or maybe it is just time to buy a new PS90. I bet eventually Trijicon or another company will find out a way to replace the tritium lamp.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
As said in the previous post the half life...............Ohh just forget it. But yeah by the time it dead something new will be on the market. I take it you asked this question because the sight is so dim, There is a reason for that and thats because the black sight is night vision compatible and if it were any brighter it would over whelm the NV device.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Then is another 12 years it will be 25% as bright as it was new.
that's why i guesstimated 50 years dude. rock on with your math skills

·
Vendor
5,789 Posts
Is the trituim in the black ring sight replaceable or does the sight become useless when the trituim wears out?

The tritium is actually ON the cross hairs of the Black Reticle and not a seperate "bar" like the White Sight. Unless you shoot in total darkness the tritium is usless anyway. No worries mate. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason I asked is that I have a Trijicon Reflex site that I bought about 10 years ago. At the time 12 years seemed like a long time away but now that it is approaching I am noticing that the tritium is not as bright and the though of having to replace the sight or use it as a daylight only sight kind of bums me out. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Time flies when your having fun, Also as happened to others some of these items may remain in dealers stock for several years and you cant get that back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Call Trijicon and arrange for them to replace the tritium in the Reflex. I called them about my ACOG and they will do it for free when it gets too dim to see. So I'd imagine the reflex is on a similar plan. Worst they can do is say no. But with all the dealing I have done with Trijicon I bet they will take care of you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts