FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me personally, I don't fancy having to needlessly end an animals life unless I'm hunting it or it's gone bonkers. However, stopping on a major highway in an apparent travel lane to assist some fvcking motherless ducklings is utter and blatant stupidity. I can't find an iota of sympathy in me for this 25 year old young lady. At least a Canadian Jury made stupidity painful, why oh why can't ours?

Woman Stops For Ducks; Guilty In Two Deaths

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow... I wouldn't expect that verdict north of the border... So what is the possible sentence? Community service? (kidding of course but I know they don't like the death penalty).

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
A motorcyclist and his 14 yo daughter? Man fvck those ducks.

I suggest we all go duck hunting and start sending this woman pictures of all the ducks we kill. Save these ducks, you dumb b|tch.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
From what the report said, this idiot is looking at 14 minimum mandatory but I would assume closer to 20 and good riddance. Maybe the rest of the "oh that poor and cute little lonely animal" crowd will learn a lesson here. Don't get me wrong I love animals, some taste much better than others, and I have sadly plowed over a few dogs -my favorite animal of all, Man's BEST friend- who wandered onto major thoroughfares but I will NOT jeopardize my life or any others for an animal's.
I imagine, she's all atwitter crying "I only wanted to help those cute little ducklings who lost their mommy" :th_puke:

Wow... I wouldn't expect that verdict north of the border... So what is the possible sentence? Community service? (kidding of course but I know they don't like the death penalty).
A motorcyclist and his 14 yo daughter? Man fvck those ducks.

·
Vendor
1,754 Posts
I disagree with all you guys. OK, ducks is a stupid reason for stopping, but the reality is that when you are riding or driving, you have a responsability to look out for what is in front of you, and maintain a safe distance so you can stop. If she had stopped because of an abandoned child, or engine failure, it would have been the same accident. Would she go to jail then? When you apply rules type logic, I don't think the reason she stopped should be the factor.

The guy on the motorcycle should have been looking where he was going.

Yes, she was stupid, but not jail time stupid.

My opinion only.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Idiot. Reminds me of driver's making a left hand turn that come to a complete stop just to let the other car on the side road come out first before they make the left. They think they are being courteous to the other driver, but are really causing a dangerous situation as a long line of drivers behind them slam on their brakes.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think what did this young lady is, she deliberately stopped in an apparent travel lane without the slightest regard for other motorist as her focus was on ducks. I agree the cyclist should've been paying attention then again none of us know the specifics of the road traveled. She may have stopped on a blind curve where attention or not makes little difference. SHE created the problem therefore she is responsible for the outcome regardless. Had it been engine failure or a child, I'm sure that would've been a non-issue but she is the one with "issues" and a Father and his Daughter lost their lives as a result.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Very sad indeed. I am no longer suprised by the stupidity of people behind the wheel of a vehicle after years of driving on Virginia's highways.

However if you are on a motorcycle you must excercise excellent situational awareness AT ALL TIMES! Or you will be the bug on the windshield. There is no room for error on a bike.. YOU are the crumple zone. You must be constantly looking further ahead than the car in front of you for hazards. You should ride like every joe schmo behind the wheel is trying to run you over, because some of them are it seems.

Add to that another rider with you and the dynamics of how the bike will handle completly change.

I agree the woman was an idiot for stoping on the highway. No one would expect a stoped car on the highway, but on a motorcycle you have to expect the unexpected for your own sake.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
I disagree with all you guys. OK, ducks is a stupid reason for stopping, but the reality is that when you are riding or driving, you have a responsability to look out for what is in front of you, and maintain a safe distance so you can stop. If she had stopped because of an abandoned child, or engine failure, it would have been the same accident. Would she go to jail then? When you apply rules type logic, I don't think the reason she stopped should be the factor.

The guy on the motorcycle should have been looking where he was going.

Yes, she was stupid, but not jail time stupid.

My opinion only.
Frankly we don't know what the actual situation was. Whether she stopped in the middle of a turn, failed to turn on the emergency lights, or just slammed on her brakes with the bike behind her. But the fact is a jury found her guilty of criminal negligence and that would seem to indicate that evidences suggest she was indeed at fault at least partially for their death. If it was another person instead of ducks then that person would be found guilty of reckless endangerment. If it's a child then the parents or guardians would be found guilty of neglecting the kid. But I don't see what that have to do with the above situation; you might as well argue that it's okay for me to shoot a hunter because what if it was a baby that hunter is pointing his shotgun at? And mechanic failures are true accidents, but stopping the car in the middle of the highway was conscious decision. It's like the difference between dropping the weapon and it discharging killing someone and pointing it at somebody and pulling the trigger.

The whole point of a highway system is a reasonable expectation of free flowing traffic. That's why crossing, stopping or parking or otherwise doing anything to disrupt that flow WITHOUT a reasonable cause (no, saving some ducks isn't one) in the middle of a freeway is criminal. And I know there's not that many people that understand this stateside, but left lane is the PASSING lane. You shouldn't hang out there below the speed limit much less park there.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CPT, you don't drive much in South Florida do you? It's a well known fact amongst the blue-haired, only seeing knuckles on the wheel from behind, snow birds that the LEFT -or inside as we call it- lane is the scenic lane. Take your time soak it all in, beautiful isn't it? Oh, that mile long line of vehicles behind you honking and flashing, no worries they're just showing their appreciation that you've shown them the importance of taking time to smell the roses. Now on the left, we have the historical...... :th_puke:

but left lane is the PASSING lane. You shouldn't hang out there below the speed limit much less park there.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
It is unfortunate in all areas. 100000 baby ducks are not worth human life's. Sad and could have been avoided. Funny pic shows a BMW m5 and a motorcycle. Most of these wealthy elitist are out if touch with reality. Not saying that is her but to stop on a highway ????? C'mon.

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
CPT, you don't drive much in South Florida do you? It's a well known fact amongst the blue-haired, only seeing knuckles on the wheel from behind, snow birds that the LEFT -or inside as we call it- lane is the scenic lane. Take your time soak it all in, beautiful isn't it? Oh, that mile long line of vehicles behind you honking and flashing, no worries they're just showing their appreciation that you've shown them the importance of taking time to smell the roses. Now on the left, we have the historical...... :th_puke:

What at seamac is saying is true--- not to mention all the people that learned to drive in the Caribbean and South America bringing their habits to the USA. It is truly chaos.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You so funny Trouble, sleep deprivation has tainted your mind..........learned to drive.....ha ha ha ha :lol: :-D :th_puke:

"learned" to drive in the Caribbean and South America bringing their habits to the USA. It is truly chaos.

·
Vendor
1,754 Posts
Maybe I misread or misunderstood, but I was under the impression she parked on the left shoulder.

My peeve in this is that society is all about finding out who is at fault while automatically assuming it was not the victim's fault. Abuse a child? It was your parents fault. Get hurt? it was some company's fault. Kill someone? It was the gun manufacturer's fault. When you ride a motorcycle, you should have a responsibility for your own safety.

And then I look at the stupidity of the punishment. Jail time? You want to spend, what is it $700,000 per year to keep an inmate locked up, plus the burden on her family, because why? Because you think the punishment is appropriate to teach her not to do that again? What is the point?It's not like it's going to make her feel more bad than she already does, it's not like the time lost from her life is going to help the victim.

Take her driver's license for 7 years - that makes sense. But jail is just stupid.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, not on the shoulder, in the middle of the road as I understood it. I'm not convinced folks like her are even willing to admit guilt, they're of the mindset that THEY are the righteous ones because they think they're doing God's work by protecting HIS creatures. Not unlike most of the "hugger" type. We can't argue with what a jury determined lest we go down that rabbit hole ourselves, they spoke and rendered a verdict. I'd bet my last dollar she sat in the witness chair extolling the virtues of HER virtue only showing a tad concern and remorse for the Father and his Daughter. Clearly I wasn't there but it fits the stereotype of such the mindless minions who inhabit the Earth's surface.

Maybe I misread or misunderstood, but I was under the impression she parked on the left shoulder.

My peeve in this is that society is all about finding out who is at fault while automatically assuming it was not the victim's fault. Abuse a child? It was your parents fault. Get hurt? it was some company's fault. Kill someone? It was the gun manufacturer's fault.

And then I look at the stupidity of the punishment. Jail time? You want to spend, what is it $700,000 per year to keep an inmate locked up, plus the burden on her family, because why? Because you think the punishment is appropriate to teach her not to do that again? What is the point?It's not like it's going to make her feel more bad than she already does, it's not like the time lost from her life is going to help the victim.

Take her driver's license for 7 years - that makes sense. But jail is just stupid.

Reactions: CPTdaz

·
Registered
498 Posts
If you watch the video it says she did pull over on the left shoulder but it looks like there wasn't much room so her car was mostly blocking the travel lane. It also says she put on her hazard lights and "several seconds later" the motorcycle hit her. The video also shows it was an open highway that looked to be straight with good visibility.

So she was partially at fault for stopping in a bad place, and the motorcycle driver was partially at fault for not paying attention. If he didn't have time to stop or avoid a stopped car with hazards on in front of him then he was going to fast or wasn't paying attention and he is primarily at fault. There are cars on the side of the road all the time due to engine problems or flat tires. Getting a flat tire while driving is a foreseeable occurrence that is why cars come with spares.

If she had stopped due to a flat the motorcycle driver would be just as dead for not paying attention to what is in front of him. I see it every morning in rush hour with people not paying attention and rear ending other cars that had to stop due to traffic. There are always 2-3 minor accidents behind the main accident/breakdown that caused the traffic in the first place.

Was she dumb to stop there for ducks? Absolutely. But I don't see how a 14 year jail sentence makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
If you watch the video it says she did pull over on the left shoulder but it looks like there wasn't much room so her car was mostly blocking the travel lane. It also says she put on her hazard lights and "several seconds later" the motorcycle hit her. The video also shows it was an open highway that looked to be straight with good visibility.
Where in the video does it state any of that? None of the news article mention it. In fact they all state that she parked her car on the left hand lane, not the shoulder. First responders could've moved the car out of the way and turned on the emergency light for her.

My peeve in this is that society is all about finding out who is at fault while automatically assuming it was not the victim's fault. Abuse a child? It was your parents fault. Get hurt? it was some company's fault. Kill someone? It was the gun manufacturer's fault. When you ride a motorcycle, you should have a responsibility for your own safety.

I'm not saying the rider isn't at fault here; it's more than likely that the rider did see the stopped car but survival instinct took over and he target fixated and his arms locked up resulting in the fatal crash (those who ride know exactly what I'm talking about). But it doesn't lessen the woman's fault for unexpectedly stopping her car in the middle of a highway for no good reason. Changing directions erratically, slamming the brake (or doing anything unexpected) on a highway is negligent endangerment and will get you arrested.

And while I agree that jail sentence isn't really justice for the victims family but then again I don't think it's intended to. It serves as a good deterrence to all the idiotic PETA members out there who's think it's ok to put other people's lives at risk to save some ducks or chicken.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In Florida what she did is "unlawful stopping on a roadway'. Does the possible sentence fit the crime? I doubt it. This is why we settle lawsuits with civil trials. AC

·
Registered
930 Posts
There is no mention of a shoulder, just the left lane of a highway and it looks to me that there was no shoulder just a concrete barrier.

The lady may have parked her car in the lane on a blind curve or the start of a downhill. It is really hard to say because there is no footage of the 100 yards to 1/4 mile of the highway before the site of impact.

The lady was negligent, no doubt about that.

On the other hand, why didn't the motorcyclist see what was going on down the road. Did he have an eye lead time of 10 to 15 seconds down the road? I am not blaming the motorcyclist but we all have a responsibility to look down the road, have situation awareness, and not to travel faster than we see and can react. I am not blaming him but just pointing out that he did have a duty to himself and his daughter to be aware of his surrounding.

Tragic situation and most of the blame has to on the shoulders of the lady who stopped on the highway in the left lane. Jury got it right in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts