FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gentlemen

just bought a second hand fn fnar,the owner told me he put 160 147gr hirtberger surplus rounds thru it.

now i have taken the scope rail off and locited it back on.bought decent rings and mounted a swarvoski 4-12x50
on it.

i thru some barnual cheap ammo down the pipe to get me on the paper at 25yds and the group as tight enough for me.
now at 100yds i was using remington 150gr PSP and the grouping was awful.basically you would of thought i was using a shotgun

i have scrubbed the barrel three times yesterday,i tried to run a piece of paper down the barrel and the fore end obstructs the paper.
i find the fore end is moulded in such a way it touches the barrel.
is this supposed to be this way?

scope is tight
rings are tight
scope isnt touching the barrel etc
used a rifle sled to zero

i dont roll my own ammo

i am just waiting for delivery of some accu tip remington 165gr (i use these in my BA 308)

what am i missing to get this to shoot nicely

thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
is the barrel tight?

Reactions: ukfnfnar

·
Registered
525 Posts
Try some PREMIUM ammo and see what happens !!! Those you mentioned are NOT known for accuracy... Put some FGMM down the tube and see what happens... SCAR'd Mike - US Army 1974 - 1977

·
Registered
435 Posts
The barrel could be worn out and the rifling not good. Obviously would not expect that at the reported round count, but maybe that figure was not accurate. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
A buddy bought an FNAR years ago and could never get the rifle to shoot worth a squat. He eventually handed it over to a local gunsmith who found the barrel was being impinged by the stock. The 'smith did some trimming and voila it finally shot straight and true without issue.

'Smith stated barrel harmonics are crucial to accuracy, if anything is putting pressure on the pipe it will never shoot well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thaanks for the replies

this is my thoughts,going to take a sanding block to the fore end and trim off until i get the paper
all the way down and give that a go

reading thru a few posts on here
some say shoot it when the barrel is hot and you get better groupings
or should i take a few minutes between rounds when zeroing?

A buddy bought an FNAR years ago and could never get the rifle to shoot worth a squat. He eventually handed it over to a local gunsmith who found the barrel was being impinged by the stock. The 'smith did some trimming and voila it finally shot straight and true without issue.

'Smith stated barrel harmonics are crucial to accuracy, if anything is putting pressure on the pipe it will never shoot well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I think that you are making 2 good changes to hopefully move in the right direction. The FNAR does seem to prefer the heavier bullets. A lot of folks (me included) have good luck with the 168gr. Federal Gold Medal Match. I personally use the sierra bullets they use and roll my own, but have good results with the factory stuff as well. The only part of the forearm that should come into contact is the area where the large screw holds it into the gas block. It may be just taking the screw out and checking to make sure the forearm was installed properly will fix the fitting issue, or maybe your forearm has some casting issues when it was molded. Doing some minor fitment adjustments (it may take more clearance than just a sheet of paper as the barrel does flex when shot, but should not take much) should help as well. Do you have the heavier profile barrel or the thinner standard barrel?

As for shooting cold vs warm, I find that groups open up with mine as the barrel heats up (I have the thinner profile). Usually the first shot after cleaning is kind of a flyer, but then it settles in nicely. A 3 shot group every couple of minutes should not be an issue at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that you are making 2 good changes to hopefully move in the right direction. The FNAR does seem to prefer the heavier bullets. A lot of folks (me included) have good luck with the 168gr. Federal Gold Medal Match. I personally use the sierra bullets they use and roll my own, but have good results with the factory stuff as well. The only part of the forearm that should come into contact is the area where the large screw holds it into the gas block. It may be just taking the screw out and checking to make sure the forearm was installed properly will fix the fitting issue, or maybe your forearm has some casting issues when it was molded. Doing some minor fitment adjustments (it may take more clearance than just a sheet of paper as the barrel does flex when shot, but should not take much) should help as well. Do you have the heavier profile barrel or the thinner standard barrel?

As for shooting cold vs warm, I find that groups open up with mine as the barrel heats up (I have the thinner profile). Usually the first shot after cleaning is kind of a flyer, but then it settles in nicely. A 3 shot group every couple of minutes should not be an issue at all.

thank you for the reply
i have the thinner fluted barrel on mine.
i was reading on here,again conflicting,hot barrel good the hot barrel bad lol

i have been in contact with other owners here in canuckstan and they swear by the lighter gr of bullet
but after reading on here with folks roll your own load data,this doesnt match up.
i am hoping the 168gr do the trick,they are my go to ammo thru my bolt action for deer moose and elk
this FN is for hunting

my ammo should be delivered tomorrow so will be off to zero or try to again.
i will post back

thanks again everyone for replying

·
Registered
123 Posts
“Shotgun like groups” sounds like your scope rings are sliding on the rail. Mark the scope and rails with a pencil.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You are not alone. I've owned 3 FNAR 'S (two 20inch and one 16inch) and have been on this site for years reading about other FNAR owners and their experiences with theirs. Seems like they're 2 types of owners. Ones who love their FNAR and ones who don't like them so much. I love all mine. At present I own the 20in version. Good luck. You might check the tension on the fore end bolt. Make sure it's good and tight. 2nd...All mine opened the groups until the barrel heated up and then settled down. My biggest mistake was believing all the hype FN used to market the gun. It's not a long range precision rifle out of the box. It's a little quirky. But if you understand the barrel shoots a lot better hot and hand roll a load it likes it might be your favorite semi ever. I put 2 consecutive 3 shot groups in the same hole at 100yds last week with this load. 168gr smk. 42gr imr4064. 210match primers bullet set at 3.24 to the olgive with hornady's comparator.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok some success with the 168gr accu tips. I tried taking my time and the grouping wasn’t good. Now once I thru 10 down the pipe and started to shoot “ I wouldn’t say rapid fire” but giving let say 30 seconds between rounds I actually got a 1/2 decent group for me to actually say I would hunt with it

Like post above states, this is a quirky little rifle that I do now like and I need to shoot it some more.
I did sand down the edges of the plastic fore end as well.

Am I happy?
I am a lot happier than I was a month ago

Thanks again for the advice/tips and replies
I appreciate everyone’s time

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts