FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and after I got all set up, I started to load the mags to capacity. I tried to insert the full clip into the the gun and it wouldn't click or stay in the gun without really pushing it in. when I would get the mag to click in the gun it was almost impossible to rack the slide. I took out the mag, locked the slide back, inserted the clip and hit the release and the gun shot fine. I then loaded the next clip to 13rds and inserted the mag and it went in like it should. no force just a simple click. the slide would chamber a round but it didn't feel smooth. I kept taking out a round out of the clip and would try to chamber a round. then finally at about ten rounds in the clip, the slide would chamber a round smoothly. what do you guys think is there something wrong? any suggestions? I haven't cleaned the gun yet and it only had about 50rds through before its last cleaning. all together including this trip it has about 400rds through this gun.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Many guns are hard to insert a fully loaded mag in (with the slide in)- as the mag spring is so compressed.

That's pretty normal. Ya just gotta slap it in there hard.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Did this happen with all the mags? Or just some? Are they new mags?

Sometimes loading a new magazine to capacity will give a pistol trouble, if the mag spring is too stiff or hasn't been "relaxed" yet.

And are all the mags the same brand? If you're having trouble with all of the mags you have, and they're all identical, you might try a higher-quality aftermarket mag like a chip mccormick or a mec-gar.

Be a bit more specific about the pistol/mags and we can probably help you better.

8)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, all the mags did the same thing. That is they were all loaded to capacity. I can load by hand all 14rds in the clip in each clip, so when you say "relaxed" I guess they are cause all 14rds go in no problem. At capacity I can not chamber a round. its like the slide is stuck. it only happens when the mag is at capacity.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Same thing happened with the factory Kimber mags on my Ten II (double stack hi-cap) - when I filled them to capacity it would have a hard time shearing off the first round. It seemed to stop after I had used them a bunch, also I left the mags loaded to capacity in the safe, not sure if that helped but they work well every time now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Tequila;

I think your getting good advice springs in Mags will be really stiff at first I have run into this problem with guns from every manufacturer. Glocks mostly but even my Sigs and HK's as well. It's fairly common. I don't leave my mags loaded normally except the ones I am going to carry with me. One in the gun and one spare. I always rotate them in use and when not in use I will stick about half of the full load and let them sit for a day or two. Then I rotate them out and use others.

I have always thought that it takes about 250 to 400 rounds to get a pistol broken in properly. I will hardly ever carry a brand new gun out of the house until they have gone that far with me on a range. I like to give them a while to wear in. I rarely if ever have any problems but I attribute that to a careful break in period.

Best of luck

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Fusileer 72 said:
Your wife wonders why you want to buy another gun. You wonder why she has to have another pair of shoes. But your smart and you don't ask. You instead take her out to a nice dinner, yeah I mean a NICE dinner and not the Pizza and Six pack Cafe.
Better yet, you buy her THAT NEW PAIR OF SHOES - goes alot further than a steak dinner!

LOL! Great sig line man!

:?

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's my point Madhouse ......... I paid for all those other shoes. All I want is one more gun.

Thanks for the nice words

1 - 9 of 9 Posts