FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Eyeing QD/zero bases/systems… ADM-Delta doesn’t have 34mm bases. Undecided yet, but if for a Leup Mk6 1-6x20/34 x7.62: GDI P-Rom-L (or who else makes 34mm rings?).
Why the typical front post/ring cantilever designs, which introduce stress risers, is there a distinct function the hanging front base solves/provide?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
LaRue does.

AFAIK, it's mostly for rail placement for eye relief (for AR w/o extended rail) and maybe slightly weight balancing issue. An added benefit on a platform like the SCAR is that the mount doesn't get in the way of the CH.

There's a thread somewhere here where ADM states that their Recon X (which is the longest cantilever mount they offer) can negatively affect grouping on a 7.62x51 platform due to force of the recoil or something.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
They make the cantilever mounts for people who have ARs that do not have a true monolithic upper rail. This way you can get the scope out far enough for eye relief without bridging the gap of the rails on the upper and hand gaurd.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s what I thought, the Scar full rail doesn’t need a cantilever base.
And now I’m curious on the ADM neg POI statement, ok there’s geometric stretch/elasticity on the cantilever at recoil, but at that pt you’ve already established POA/impact and pulled the trigger – how does that (scope/mount) affect your groups?

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
You can look at the ADM Recon SW which I recently purchased for my own Mark 6 1-6x-20, also I heard rumors that the Delta will be made with 34mm rings in the near future. LaRue, ADM you can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
That’s what I thought, the Scar full rail doesn’t need a cantilever base.
And now I’m curious on the ADM neg POI statement, ok there’s geometric stretch/elasticity on the cantilever at recoil, but at that pt you’ve already established POA/impact and pulled the trigger – how does that (scope/mount) affect your groups?
I'm not saying that's what's happening just passing the information along. If you are interested, here's the thread:
http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-17s/58444-scar-17s-accuracy-issues-torque-affecting-accuracy-5.html
Last page, last post:
ADM sent me this email today:
Good Afternoon,

We received and looked over your AD-Recon-X mount. All of the Specs on the mount are in tolerance.
What I believe is happening, since it is being used on a 7.62mm SCAR is that the heavy recoil impulse is causing the cantilevered front to vibrate a lot during the shots, throwing the shots off.
I would suggest either an AD-Recon-S or AD-Delta for use on the SCAR. The AD-Delta is used by FN and SOCOM on their SCAR’s.
Please let me know what you would like to do, and we will get it taken care of.

Thank you and have a great day.

This echoes what many of you theorized early on, including Sgt Stryker.

Jeremy at ADM was incredibly responsive and helpful. They'll be sending me an AD-DELTA mount at the end of this week :?

·
Registered
609 Posts
i use cantilever adm recon because i swap optics between my scar17 and ar15's a lot. other than that no reason to use one on a scar17

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the pointers, guys.
I need to look closer at the ADM products/pics/tables/drawings. My preference is a symmetrical monolithic base with integral rings (ADM-Delta x34mm).
SeaMac… I take it no operational probs on the Recon-SW/Mk6.1-6x20 with the charging handle?

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
Take a hard look at both LaRue OBR LT111-34 and ADM Recon SW-34, no word on the release of the ADM Delta w/34 rings just a rumor. As for operational issues with my Leupy Adam setup? Wish I could answer that, it hasn't arrived yet however, I preempted any CH problems by previously purchasing a Stryker Enterprises E.A.C.H. as have many other Members here. I expect no knuckle scraping troubles in the future either... :?

Thanks for the pointers, guys.
I need to look closer at the ADM products/pics/tables/drawings. My preference is a symmetrical monolithic base with integral rings (ADM-Delta x34mm).
SeaMac… I take it no operational probs on the Recon-SW/Mk6.1-6x20 with the charging handle?

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Considering the ReconSW is reversible, you won't have any issue with CH if you flip the QD to the right side. That said, you should still get an EACH because it's awesome. :)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Yeah I didn't mind the stock CH either until I tried the EACH. It's a substantial ergonomic improvement over the stock CH.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yeah I didn't mind the stock CH either until I tried the EACH. It's a substantial ergonomic improvement over the stock CH.
It's one of those things in life I thought I would never need until I decided to give it a try. Now, I'll never go back.:shock:

·
Registered
6,440 Posts
You see Guzz, 'round here we gravitate towards the awesomeness factor whenever we have the chance. Not that merely owning SCAR's doesn't makes us awesome, owning tricked-out SCAR's makes us even awesome'er. You'll start to feel it eventually if not already, it starts with a pronounced athletic bounce to your step, then a twinkle in your eyes and general glowing of your coat and so on. You get the picture, right?

you should still get an EACH because it's awesome. :)

Reactions: CPTdaz

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Whats wrong with standard quick release rings? and no fancy $200 mount. Less weight.
More flex and less stable. You just paid ~$2500 for a rifle and $2k or more on your optics, are you really going to fvck your accuracy to save $50?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would be worried about accuracy issues due to the recoil impulse. Buy one good mount and be done instead of trouble with a lesser mount. You may be good but maybe not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
More flex and less stable. You just paid ~$2500 for a rifle and $2k or more on your optics, are you really going to fvck your accuracy to save $50?
wow such insight . cause.
How about some usefull info.
.Is the rail the weak link? If so how does a stronger mount fix a weak foundation.
I do not understand how recoil can be an issue when the 17s is claimed to be the softest shooting .308
Scopes on my bolt actions have no issue. Much more recoil than semi autos.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts