FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came into a little bit of money, and am planning on getting a couple of new pistols. One is going to be .40 of some sort, want to get the feel of some before I decide. But I also want a black powder revolver to play around with. I'm thinking a .36 or a .44, does anybody ave any advice on an inexpensive but well made gun.

Thanking you in advance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I think some of the nicest looking black powder repros are from Uberti. One of my favorites in the .36 is the Uberti 1861 Navy. In the .44 my favorite is the Walker Colt. It's a beast. It is considered by some as the magnum of it's time. If you've never shot BP it's a blast, until clean up time.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Ruger makes the best black powder revolvers if you want one to last and can take punishment. They come in a 45 cal and you can get them blue, stainless, fix sight or ajustable. If you want a traditional copy then get one made by Uberti. Go with the bigger cal. they are more fun. I got some black powder shotgun shells that are fun to shoot but it takes days for the smoke to clear. And what kind of 40 are you looing at.

·
Registered
412 Posts
+1 ON THE RUGER OLD ARMY. They have been discontinued but used ones are plentiful.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ruger makes the best black powder revolvers if you want one to last and can take punishment. They come in a 45 cal and you can get them blue, stainless, fix sight or ajustable. If you want a traditional copy then get one made by Uberti. Go with the bigger cal. they are more fun. I got some black powder shotgun shells that are fun to shoot but it takes days for the smoke to clear. And what kind of 40 are you looing at.
i want a traditional copy, so I will probably go for the Uberti.

As for the .40, leaning toward a Glock 22 or a Sig P226(sorry Ship)

Thanks guys

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I'm going for the the Uberti Colt Walker. Thanks for the advice.

:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Shoot it one handed in case the other rounds in the cylinder fire.

Only load 5 shots if you are going to carry it.

As you cock it after firing, tilt the barrel up so any pieces of cap will fall out of the action.

Be amazed that people used to carry these as fighting weapons. Try an "OMG the Indians are attacking again" reload.

Have fun!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shoot it one handed in case the other rounds in the cylinder fire.

Only load 5 shots if you are going to carry it.

As you cock it after firing, tilt the barrel up so any pieces of cap will fall out of the action.

Be amazed that people used to carry these as fighting weapons. Try an "OMG the Indians are attacking again" reload.

Have fun!
Are you trying to tun me off of this?

:-D :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
164 Posts
One of the drawbacks of a blackpowder wheel gun is the chance that some are all chambers might discharge at once. I grease heavy over each ball, and so far (knock on wood) I've never had a multiple discharge.

Alot of times with my Walker I only load one chamber and then fire it. That way I don't have to mess with the grease.

Be sure and get you a powder measure so you always throw the right amount of powder.

BP takes more precautions when using than most people are used to with smokeless propellents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts