FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I want to start carrying my FS2000 instead of my Shorty AR for duty work with a police department. They will let us carry any .223/5.56 of reputable make, so I'm OK with the FN so long as I qualify with it. Even though not required since I have already done so, I plan to take my state's 3 day law enforcement rifle qualification course with the FN (and will let you know the results of 1500 rounds of hard use over that time period.)

In taking the thing to the range, I had some failure to ignite issues with milsurp ammo--ammo that has consistently gone "bang" in all 3 of my AR's. Someone somewhere on this board mentioned that FN uses an unnecessarily light firing pin AND a "captive spring around the firing pin" to inhibit "slam fires."

Well, I am an AR armourer but know nothing about the FN other than what I read here. What the hell is a "Captive Spring Around Firing Pin?" Other than the one guy whose post I dont' recall, has anyone else removed it? Results? Downside?

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I removed the FS2000 firing pin spring after several failures to ignite milsurp ammo, it hasn't missed a beat since! I suspect the spring is about the possibility of commercial ammo w/ primers that are more sensitive discharging when charging the weapon or perhaps doubling... But ARs leave a small dent in primers but I've never had any problems with commercial ammo. This must be an issue as Century has a recall on Galil clones to add a spring for the same reason, I'm not sending mine in as it works fine with 26 year old Malaysian m193, why screw with success?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put 80 rounds of federal xm193 today through it and had 3 failure to ignites today, so i came home and just took mine out. Gonna try it out tomorrow without the spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts