FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not entirely sure if this is supposed to go here or if it should be in General Discussion.

I've been sitting around bored as of late, waiting for my beloved pickup to get out of the repair shop after this last weekend's encounter with a telephone pole. :evil: Anyway, I've been using my free time to practice some 3D modeling in XSI (well, XSI Mod Tool actually). This ain't CAD, and these ain't exact. The're just generalizations made for illustrating cartridge construction, and were drawn completely free-hand without looking at any diagrams, dimensions, or drawings.

#1 - Bottlenecked brass rifle case, rebated rim, Boxer primed, with a copper-jacketed FMJ-BT. I did a kinda ****ty job on this one, compared to the others.

#2 - Bottlenecked lacquered steel rifle case, rimmed, Berdan primed, copper-jacketed SP, red sealant around primer and bullet. Typical Russian construction. These are supposed to be generalizations, but there's really only one caliber that commonly looks like this:

#3 - Straight-necked brass pistol case, rimless, Boxer primed, copper-jacketed HP.

#4 - Bottlenecked brass rifle case, belted rim, Boxer primed with case-forward ignition tube, solid copper-zinc bullet. I know this isn't how a case-forward ignition tube is normally installed, but i utterly fail at drawing threads.

#4.5 - A #209 style shotgun primer. Brass cap and battery cup with steel anvil.

#5 - Hi-brass plastic shotshell with separate plastic base wad, #209 style primer, plastic shot wad with 12 pellets (of indeterminate size :roll:), star crimped.

I'm planning on doing a few more shotshells; one loaded with a Foster slug and another with a full-brass shell.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Very cool !!!

Hope your are feeling better from your crash.......

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I'm okay. It really wasn't even that bad of a crash. I hydroplaned off the road into a phone pole. No one was hurt, there was no property damage, and there was no mechanical damage to the inner workings of my truck. What sucks is my insurance rate going up.

Here's another drawing I just finished:

#6 - Lo-brass plastic unihull shotshell, #209-shaped adapter cup for taking a standard Boxer rifle primer, rifled Foster slug, roll-crimped.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very nice drawings. How long does something like that take to do, say an overall drawing and the detail shots?

Also I learned something new. What is forward ignition and what cartridges have it? What are the threads that you speak of?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. For one of those cartridges it takes me about one hour of work. The detail shots go real quick, I just hide/unhide different components and move the light source around to get a good view of the desired object.

I know of no factory small arms ammunition that is made with case-forward ignition and had never heard of it till reading Cartridges of the World V.10, which has a whole chapter on the subject. In the book, it described widening out the flash hole for the primer and threading it to take a piece of copper or brass tubing. This directs the primer blast up to right behind the bullet, thus starting the powder burn at the front of the column rather than at the rear. Supposedly this results in greater accuracy by not pushing the unburnt powder down the barrel along with the bullet.

The only caliber I know of that was regularly used with forward ignition was the .50 McMillan Bro's Fat-Mac, which was anything but a standard cartridge. It was a 20x102mm GE/GD cannon cartridge case for an M61 Vulcan, shortened to 2.6" and necked down to take a .510" bullet. The case was modified to take a BMG primer and used a stainless steel forward ignition tube. Performance was something like 3400 fps at the muzzle with a 750gr Hornady A-MAX.

The single-shot bolt action rifle built by McBro's for it must have weighed in between 90 and 100 lb. This was the same action used by SSK Industries to fire the .950 JDJ cartridge, which was based on the same case.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's something different; a T/C Encore I did while first learning how to use XSI:

I based it off of this one from SSK, except with irons rather than a scope:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some new stuff:

Rimfire:

Pinfire:

H&K/Dynamit-Nobel caseless rifle cartridge, such as on the H&K G11:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Wow, I've never even heard of pinfire before, but I found one of those THV rounds before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts