FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a thread in the PS-90 section regarding hard cases. Does anyone have experience with similar hard cases with the “pluckable” foam to customize the interior, for the FS2K? I’m looking at a few options – the Storm, Pelican, and cheaper ones from Cheaper than Dirt. Cost isn’t the primary driver – I hate to spend $200 on a bloody case, but then remember I’d be putting a $2k rifle in it. :cool:

Has anyone customized such a case for the 2K? User customized I mean, not factory.

·
Banned
114 Posts
storm case

I have a Hardigg Storm iM3100 that worked out quite well.

It does not have pluckable foam like the smaller Storm cases which i also have so you will have to custom cut the whole thing out of the three layer foam. I just cut the top layer which gave perfect depth for the FS2k. I was originally looking at the Pelicans but once I had one in person i decided I hated the latching system so i went with the Storm. Another nice thing about the Storm cases is the easy replacement of foam or purchase of extra foam. If you decide you want one case to carry other guns you can just buy more foam and cut it for that firearm. I bought mine through Extreme Outfitters and i thought the price was decent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I work in the automotive industry and one of my areas of responsibility is packaging of painted parts. I've been thinking about having one of my packaging suppliers make inserts for me, but haven't done it yet. A very typical type of packagaing dunnage employs the use of waterjet-cut solid foams (2lb, 4lb, 6lb,etc..). The higher the poundage, the denser the foam.
Get a Pelican (or whatever brand) case, measure the overall dimensions of the pluckable foam block, and create a full-size template that falls within the dimensions of the block. Then a simple CAM program can be taught to the waterjet and you have a totally customized case liner.
If I decide to do this, I'll post pictures, but this is low on my priority list. Alternatively, if anyone is interested, I can send some contact info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI, I've made my choice, and then ordered the other one!

To explain: I had a gift cert. from CTD, so I was ordering a few items from there, and the price on the $44 case above was too nice to pass up for my needs. If it were going to be banged up at all, or subected to harsh elements, I'd sure go with the Storm, but the lower-end one should work. And if it doesn't for the 2k, it will for the PS-90.

Also, from a quick web search, the Storm case is available from an outfit called Midwest Case Co for a nice price - and they also sell replacement foam kits, so you can customize it for a couple of rifles/guns/uses. If I do end up getting one, I'd probably get some of the replacement foam for that purpose.

I'm sure looking forward to customizing the case!

·
Registered
8 Posts
FS2000 Case Suggestions

Bulldog makes a couple of cases for the PS90/FS2000.

One is a general assault rifle case that is just long enough for the FS2000. There are rigid panels in the side to protect the gun

I just purchased their semi-hard case for the FS2000. I has foam die cut for the FS2000 Tactical. I had to take and Exacto knife to mine to fit my FS2000 Standard with factory optics. There is a semi-rigid foam and the whole case is in a square nylon zip fabric.

There are cut outs for extra magazines and limited accessories.

Midway has this for around $55.

I haven't done any range time with it yet but so far it looks good. Overall length is about 41".

·
Registered
34 Posts
It looks like I have to go with the much more expensive route, Storm iM3100.

I recently gathered that one of the benefit of having Storm iM3100 case is that they now offer a foam kit. The kit comes equipped with two pound cubed polyurethane foam, multi layered for easy customization.

Perfect for the FS2000 plus the case comes with wheels!
:shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts