FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had read somewhere that there was a guy using an old lyman mold to cast bullets for the 5.7.
Has anyone had any experience with casting and powder coating bullets for the little 5.7 to use in a ps90 and FN 5.7?
If so what mold would be best?

·
Administrator
11,937 Posts
I do not recall of anyone casting 5.7 projectiles. I do know of a member who tried to modify the SS109 projectile by removing the lead core and replacing it to make the projectile lighter.

Along came the ATF and shut down his experiment.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just can't remember the mold the guy used.
I do remember it was like a 35 or 36 grain spire point.
Guess I just need to see if I can find a 35gr spire point mold with a gas check

·
Administrator
11,937 Posts
I hope you find it as you have piqued my interest in this.

Buffman would be a good source for the information on this. He is the resident 5.7 ammo guru.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
a cast design may be OK in the FSN, but the blunt tip bullet design may not feed in the 5.7. I don't see any issue using a cast and powdercoated bullet in 5.7 as long as you keep the weight down..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finding info on this subject is tough. I just purchase a mold from mp-molds and cast first bullets yesterday. 37gr hollowpoint with a gas check. Using hardball alloy comes out to 37.6 including gas check. Cast as a solid point it is supposed to be 39gr before gas check. I have been loading 40gr V-Max with True Blue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts