FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought the CDI bottom metal and from what I heard is that you have to mill down part of the receiver to get the bottom metal to fit and allow the magazine to seat properly. My question is with this bottom metal I just bought, I installed it on my SPR. Loaded a mag and wanted to see how much of a gap there was and how much of the receiver would need to be fitted to allow this bottom metal to work. Well the mag was inserted and the rounds would be picked up out of the mag and cycled. The receiver screws also were tightened down. My question is this, if the rifle is able to cycle the rounds from the magazine will my receiver still need to be fitted to work with this bottom metal because at this moment it doesn't seem like it will need to. Is anyone running this system right now that could give me some feedback?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
If it works reliably and everything is lined up right, I wouldn't screw around with it any more than is needed IMO. I don't have this done to mine yet, but I'll be sending mine off for some work to SAC in a year or two and have them do the CDI bottom metal install.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually just got the FN TBM system from Midway, and the five round magazine fed fine, but the 10 rounders were problematic. Neither would feed the last round. I disassembled them & tried stretching the spring, but no joy. I'm sending it back today and shipping my rifle to CDI so they can hand fit their bottom metal to my setup & ensure that it works 100%

Also I've read that you can modify the AI mags to fit a COL of up to 2.950"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will see how it functions under fire when I get my new rings and get everything mounted up and sent off to the range. I love the look of the CDI flush DBM system and that was the one thing that pushed me away from the TBM with the extension away from the stock. I thought that the CDI's came with pillars to install but I guess that is another DBM system I must have been thinking of.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So I recently bought the CDI bottom metal and from what I heard is that you have to mill down part of the receiver to get the bottom metal to fit and allow the magazine to seat properly. My question is with this bottom metal I just bought, I installed it on my SPR. Loaded a mag and wanted to see how much of a gap there was and how much of the receiver would need to be fitted to allow this bottom metal to work. Well the mag was inserted and the rounds would be picked up out of the mag and cycled. The receiver screws also were tightened down. My question is this, if the rifle is able to cycle the rounds from the magazine will my receiver still need to be fitted to work with this bottom metal because at this moment it doesn't seem like it will need to. Is anyone running this system right now that could give me some feedback?
Well I finally got my rifle back from CDI. I got two ten round mags, 1 rounder, and a single shot adapter. Everything fits & functions perfectly!!! I had trouble with the FN 10 round mags w/ their TBM kit, so I'm much happier now.

Also had the mags modded to fit a 2.950 COL. They fit in there, but it's mighty close. I worked up a new load at 2.925 to provide a little more room.

Obligatory pic:

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice!!!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Really nice looking SPR! :th_thumbsup:

Well I finally got my rifle back from CDI. I got two ten round mags, 1 rounder, and a single shot adapter. Everything fits & functions perfectly!!! I had trouble with the FN 10 round mags w/ their TBM kit, so I'm much happier now.

Also had the mags modded to fit a 2.950 COL. They fit in there, but it's mighty close. I worked up a new load at 2.925 to provide a little more room.

Obligatory pic:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts