FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys....those of you who shoot suppressed on the SCAR 17....what kind of change in MOA do you find when you take the can back off??!
I'm hearing some alarming stats from my friend (ballistics expert)....who is telling me it's not even worth getting a suppressor for the 17...(he has one and said he found it was over a 5MOA change, and not only in elevation but in windage.....so he thought it wasn't a heavy enough barrel on the 17 to make putting a suppressor worthwhile with those kind of changes needed to re-zero the rifle.
thoughts?comments? I trust this guy a ton...he helped me square away my SCAR 16 and we had no such issues suppressing that one...but he owns both the 16 & 17 and tells me to save my money and not suppress the 17.
thanks
CJ

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
hey guys....those of you who shoot suppressed on the SCAR 17....what kind of change in MOA do you find when you take the can back off??!
I'm hearing some alarming stats from my friend (ballistics expert)....who is telling me it's not even worth getting a suppressor for the 17...(he has one and said he found it was over a 5MOA change, and not only in elevation but in windage.....so he thought it wasn't a heavy enough barrel on the 17 to make putting a suppressor worthwhile with those kind of changes needed to re-zero the rifle.
thoughts?comments? I trust this guy a ton...he helped me square away my SCAR 16 and we had no such issues suppressing that one...but he owns both the 16 & 17 and tells me to save my money and not suppress the 17.
thanks
CJ
I posted on the other thread where you asked this question he either used the barrel nut provided with the gun or didn't have his mount on correctly. Most of the time when we see that it is incorrectly mounted to the gun.

·
Premium Member
8,111 Posts
I'd say your ballistics "expert" friend is no expert at all. AFAIK Surefire Suppressors offer the least POI shift of any suppressors on the market but I can say this with absolute certainty, Jeremy M would definitely know the answer if not that, he'll know where to get it... :?

Reactions: Jeremy M.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Mine shoots about 1 moa down and .5moa left on a SDN6 .You should see some level of POI change as you are hanging a weight off the front of a barrel. Your friend is doing something wrong

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, I'd say he IS an expert...on ballistics...doesn't mean he couldn't have screwed up a suppressor install or use...
:)

·
Registered
876 Posts
I shoot SureFire on my rifles and have ZERO real world shift. By that I mean if you put the rifle barrel in some kinda device that holds it for testing, where every bullet goes through the same hole maybe there is a slight shift. But after shooting for years with and without suppressors the POI shift falls in the myths category in my opinion. By myths I mean.....Silencers make gun shots as quite as a babies fart, silencers slow bullets down, silencers leave "special" evidence on bullets that CSI folks can tell by looking at them, and lastly silencers are somehow magical and normal humans can't own them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to VERTIGOSOL

thanks! glad you like the SDN6....good MOA! what distance were those groups? impressive!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
to VERTIGOSOL

thanks! glad you like the SDN6....good MOA! what distance were those groups? impressive!
I should had been more specific . My 17 shoots about <=Moa with handloaded 168grs. With a suppressor(SDN6) the POI moves about a 1inch down and half a inch to the left. If you haven't picked up a can yet I would suggest a Saker/omega as the mounting system on the SDN6 is less than impressive. I am running a brakeout 2.0 mount but AAC has said that it is unstable and could cause baffle strikes. Just FYI

·
Registered
418 Posts
POI shift happens with all suppressors and some makes/models have fewer shifts than others.

AAC cans are notorious for a distinct POI shift, the good news is the POI shift is usually repeatable every time so consistency is a plus.

Believe this shift is one of the issues why NSW switched to Surefire suppressors.

I really like the Silencerco Saker as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aha! THANKS to USGILT...who summed up what I intuitively thought to be true. my ballistics buddy said his POI was like 3" up and 2" to the right...which he found "unacceptable".

good to hear from USGILT this: POI shift happens with all suppressors and some makes/models have fewer shifts than others.

so.....I will look into the Silencerco Saker....thanks guys!!!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
(he has one and said he found it was over a 5MOA change, and not only in elevation but in windage.....so he thought it wasn't a heavy enough barrel on the 17 to make putting a suppressor worthwhile with those kind of changes needed to re-zero the rifle.
CJ
3" is a big difference from 5 MOA.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Silencerco is kicking some real ass in the R&D department you wont be sorry reguarding your purchase!

Now you just have to put up with the 8-month NFA wait and $200 of blood money, lol....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Silencerco is kicking some real ass in the R&D department you wont be sorry reguarding your purchase!

Now you just have to put up with the 8-month NFA wait and $200 of blood money, lol....
It's actually down to about 3-4 months now :?
Just got 2 stamps back that were sent in the beginning of December!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts