FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lost charging handle spring, simple replacement.

The polymer CH decided to break last week at the range. The compression spring went downrange and I did not bother to retrieve it. Took the CH apart and found a second spring that supports the rear of the CH and took that to the hardware store to find a similar one that is slightly longer. I couldn't find any in the exact length it needed to be so I bought a longer one and cut it to the desired length ~2cm. The second spring for the rear is ~1.5cm (pictured on the right).

Here is what the CH looks like when taken apart:

The two FACTORY SUPPLIED springs are not the same length. The front (towards the muzzle) one is ~2cm, while the shorter one for the rear is ~1.5cm.

Received my replacement CH in the mail, an enhanced version from OST, and installed it after taking my dremel to it (gave it a rounder appearance/feel).

love those curves!

..and back to the range!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good job! I have Home Depot'd many OEM projects. A spring is a spring. F=kx.
I hope this info will help someone that runs into a broken charging handle. When I searched online, I wasn't able to find any other info/spec on the spring except that the general consensus was to just buy the complete charging handle assembly from FNH USA because they do not offer just the spring itself as a replacement part; it is only available in the complete CH kit from FNH USA. Why would anyone want to buy another plastic CH, especially when they are so prone to breaking?!

Well now there is an alternative, goto your hardware store and find one!

·
Vendor
3,284 Posts
Guy's if this is a help to anyone ??? I'm glad to post it.
In the injection mold building industry, we have design applications for some pretty small compression springs. when it comes to small, minature, light duty to medium duty springs we ( I say we in general ) have been using " LEE " compression springs. yes a spring is a spring in a sense .... but for reliability purposes... I would resource my small/minature spring needs from this company. ( no affilation ) . For our bigger mold springs we use Danley,DME, ect... but for the small stuff LEE has a good product.
JIMO
Lee Spring

·
Registered
38 Posts
Notice in the photo taken from above that the front of the OST charge handle curves in closer to the frame than the OEM handle. The OST handle is longer. Some like this, and OST explains that this design reduces the likelihood of the handle catching on webbing and gear.

However, this feature also makes it harder to access, especially with gloves on. I Dremeled mine to shorten it a little and open up that front access area.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I don't care for that design. I love the Judo chop one, IMO.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
Glad you love the Judo Chop one.

Not sure what it has to do with this thread though.
Probably trying to point out that if you'd of had the Judo Chop you would not have had the problem you did. :?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably trying to point out that if you'd of had the Judo Chop you would not have had the problem you did. :?
aww I was just poking fun at him for his comment to me in another thread ;) now that that thread was cleaned up, it's not as witty anymore :/

If FNH had just used an aluminum CH on the FS2k to begin with, non of us would have this problem. But I am glad my problem is solved and others find this into useful in the event they loose that pesky little spring!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts