FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was shooting with a friend on one of the few warm days we have had. I had my 16s and he was shooting his post-sample HK 53. In the midst of the fun he suffered a broken case. The 53 ejected the bottom half of the case and rammed the next round into the broken off case neck that was still in the chamber.

My friend removed the mag, examined the rifle, placed the 53's charging handle on the edge of the shooting bench and gave a solid push downward. Out popped the live round with the broken off neck of the one before it. He examined his gun again, loaded it and resumed shooting.

He laughed later asking me "do you think your SCAR could do that?"

I am sure the SCAR could do such a thing. I think it is commonly known as "mortaring" or "kick starting" a rifle. I wonder how the little removable bolt handle of the SCAR would hold up to such use?

Has any one out there in SCAR-land ever had to kick/push/hammer on their charging handle to clear or charge a SCAR?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Certainly the bolt carrier that the handle fits into could handle it. It's a freaking tank. Personally, I think the SCAR charging handle could take that kind of abuse all day and keep on keeping on. It doesn't strike me as light weight or cheap metal. In fact, given all the other smart little design elements in the gun I'd wager the engineers at FN considered this very possibility when designing the charging handle and how it fits into the carrier. So I'm going to go with: yes, your SCAR could easily have done the same.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Having kick started a few rifles and MGs in my day, I think the Mk 16/17S charging handle could take the abuse. The only thing that might break is the outer plastic cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts