FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the operating rod and charging handle move together while being fired on the SCAR? If this is the case I can see a potential problem if you are high/lowing a corner and your charging handle bumps against the wall or other obstruction it would cause a malfunction or failure to extract.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had to do some looking to find an overhead shot of either model. From my pics, I see two different styles of charging handles so I am not sure which one is current - take that fwiw.

The charging handle does appear to extend out slightly farther than other controls &/or the rail covers. It did not appear to extend farther out though than the hands of various users.

Three weapons systems that have reciprocating charging handles are the AK family, my mistake and and the M14/M1A/Mini 14 & 30. I have not noticed an issue firing any of these, in terms of the charging handle striking a barricade, etc.

YMMV

·
Registered
21,554 Posts

Well, the charging handle attaches directly to the bolt carrier/piston, so it must reciprocate.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The charging handle reciprocates. FN Guy just confermed it. Thats like putting training wheels on a Harley.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm a bit disappointed by that. It seems with today's modern manufacturing method's you could still keep the design simple and reliable but allow for an independent charging handle. However, I can't discount the proven reliability of the AK operating system which reciprocates, so I'm sure it would be fine. But like the Doc says, if you're going to modernize, make it better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One of the reasons for it is it is also used like a forward assist. Having a ambi forward assist and a non reciprocating charging handle really doesnt make a lot of since.

At least you dont have to break cheekweld to charge the weapon.

CAMO.

·
Registered
630 Posts
the charging handle on my FNC has never been a problem and it looks like its the eame size

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just a thought ... if it was problematic, would it still be there given all of the end user involvement in developing the system?

·
Registered
130 Posts
AK-47/AKM/AK-74, FNC, SIG 55X, Valmet, Galil (granted these are all AK-Based platforms), SKS, VZ-58, M1 Thompson, M1 Carbine, M1 Garand, M14, Barret M107, Most Semi-auto shotguns, etc, etc, etc.... All great weapons on the world stage.

Obviously these run the whole gambit of applications, but is it that really that big of a deal/detractor??? A reciprocating charging handle is a fairly common design in the Semi-auto gun world - isn't it?

DEFINATELY NOT a deal breaker when it comes to purchasing a SCAR-H :?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, it reciprocates, but was a non issue when I was shooting it or when Brett from FN was using it behind cover at the Vickers advanced carbine/pistol class.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My only concern is that is that it is on the port side of the weapon, located above the forearm grip. Many other reciprocating charging handles are either attached to starboard side bolt near the ejection port or on top like the tompson. Sorry, but I'm not happy to find out that next to my left thump the charging handle is going to be reciprocating. No shooting from the waist with this one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
devildoc said:
My only concern is that is that it is on the port side of the weapon, located above the forearm grip. Many other reciprocating charging handles are either attached to starboard side bolt near the ejection port or on top like the tompson. Sorry, but I'm not happy to find out that next to my left thump the charging handle is going to be reciprocating. No shooting from the waist with this one.
Not a worry, you can flip it to the other side if you like.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The reciprocating charging handle eliminates the need for a separate/complex forward assist. This makes for a more simple and robust design. Personally, I've always preferred to KISS. :?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts