FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search this thread and couldn't find anything so I figured I'd ask... I've been toying around with my charging handle placed on the ejection port side of my Scar - AK style (I'm right handed), and I can see some small advantages, especially since I don't have any sort of extended rail system on it, but maybe not enough to make this a permanant switch. I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks....

What side is your charging handle on and why? TIA

·
Registered
843 Posts
Right handed shooter......handle is on the left, for me.
This is the primary reason, that I chose the 17s. In the gun shop is where I was told.. the ch could be switched to either side.

At the range..I was told by a pain in the a$$ ; he didn't like the CH , on the left, or--right.
I said..." thats why you have a ten year old AR.... & I have a new Scar in .308."

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm used to the H&K so left side for me. Easier to lock back the bolt with the left hand if you need to clear.
Seems like most run it on the left. If it was on the right I wouldn't be so worried about my left thumb getting too far back, but that can be used to keep the bolt closed for covert shots. :wink:

Kenyans put it on the right. Even thought they run G3's. I think they don't want the charging handle in the way.Many militaries know the AK drill and I think that is why they teach the AK way common in Africa. Use the skill set you already have.

Whatever works best for you. It's nice when the system gives you options.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
I have it on the left (right-handed). For me, it is an easier more natural movement than canting the gun or reaching over/under to charge. I have several right-side charging carbines, and definitely like the having it on the left.

Try it both ways, see what works for you. That's one of the great things about the SCAR, it takes no time to reconfigure.

Reactions: Cdudleytx and Kev

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm right handed and much prefer running it on the left side for the following reasons.

You can run the gun without ever taking yout sights off target and you have a visual indicator of what condition your weapon is in.

During a weapon malfunction drill when you cant the weapon to the right into your bicept into a kind of AR pattern of arms creating your workspace you can pull the charging handle to the rear and engage your bolt catch at the same time in a scissor pinch motion with the same hand without taking your hand off of fire control.

I find that for me its faster and easier then having to reach around, under or over into an AK style manual of arms.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Right handed on the right side of my 16s. Why? I'm an old fart who also runs an M1 carbine & M1 Garand. And an M14 when the dinosaurs roamed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Left side, for all the aforementioned reasons. My son and wife are lefties, and it takes no time at all to switch it from one side to the other.

Reactions: Cdudleytx

·
Registered
41 Posts
---run it on the same side as bolt catch
-pros
one handed clearing of malfunction, be it for speed or other arm injured
faster ergonomics when actuating handle
-cons
supine prone will need adjustment for charging handle to stay clear of ground
may dig into you if slinged right handed
may need adjustment to your reaction hand grip to stay away, without extended rail installed

---run it on ejection port side
-pros
supine prone problem free
no grip adjustment to worry (right handed) about getting hurt without extended rail
does not dig into you when slinged right handed
-cons
impossible one handed malfunction clearance/bolt lock back, may require a foot or a third hand. Teach me if somebody finds a way
slower ergonomics when actuating handle

run it the way you like

me personally like to increase my rate of survival and be able to one hand control the weapon

·
Registered
876 Posts
Right handed and on the right side. I shoot Sig 551, AK, Benelli M4, ect. I want my charging handle on the same side the bullets eject.

I'm not worried about having to clear malfunctions or shooting from my left. Thats because I have a pistol. If my primary jams I am on my secondary faster then you can say fuc.......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys, this was exactly the what i wanted to know... I think I'm just enjoying trying something new to see which I prefer...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Right hander, running the SCAR's charging handle on the left.
A lot more natural set of movements for me.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Nice thing about it is you can switch it from side to side. Try it on one side then go to the other after some time. See what works for you. Everyone is different.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.