FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else had this issue, the charging handle will not seat in the bolt carrier on the fight side? The right hand slot appears to be 2-3 mm smaller than necessary than the left hand side. The stock charging handle has the same issue.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
That's happened once before.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I did have the same issue with the charging handle on the right side on one of my 17s. I cleaned the heck out of it and worked it and was able to make mine fit. It's a tight but it fits.

I prefer a tight fit :-D

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I did have the same issue with the charging handle on the right side on one of my 17s. I cleaned the heck out of it and worked it and was able to make mine fit. It's a tight but it fits.

I prefer a tight fit :-D
I bet you do!

Reactions: Spilz

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I don't remember who, but it was a few years ago, someone posted about this issue.

Clean that area very well. Put the charging handle on and use it.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
You guys have a good memory. Is the carrier defective? Only if you plan on running the CH on the right side. If so, a call to FN repair is in order. Understand that 17S carriers are backordered and have been for 10 months so you could be without your weapon for quite a while if you send it in for warranty.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The carrier is fine other than the CH issue, it's a 16 Jim. Spitz did you clean the area with anything special and just use a brush on the area?

You guys have a good memory. Is the carrier defective? Only if you plan on running the CH on the right side. If so, a call to FN repair is in order. Understand that 17S carriers are backordered and have been for 10 months so you could be without your weapon for quite a while if you send it in for warranty.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The carrier is fine other than the CH issue, it's a 16 Jim. Spitz did you clean the area with anything special and just use a brush on the area?
I used a combination of degreaser, cleaning brush, q-tips and a pick to really dig in and clean the inside edges of that pocket. Mine came fairly gunked up from the factory and required quite a bit of scrubbing before its initial outing.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the thoughts, I worked on the slot in the BC, wasn't much if any gunk there. Put the charging handle seemed to go a bit further into the slot. Using only finger pressure, eventually worked the charging handle fully into the slot. It was lubed a bit to ease and does fit very tight but goes in with little effort. Looks like worked off some of the finish on the charging handles, both the EACH and the original. Tried the original from my 17 and has the same result and doesn't fit, I didn't figure I'd mess with it. The slot in the BC appears to be the problem. Pictures of the slot from both angles after I did this. Doesn't appear to be any gunk or marks in the BC but can see the marks on the charging handles. Works now for the few times I may run the CH on the right side.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Might I suggest running the factory handle on the right side for a bit. Run it though the paces of you working the action with the handle to "break in" the area. Then switch to the EACH, to see how it fits.

As stated, and pointed out by you, it's the bolt carrier on the right side only.

Reactions: LESTER and Smurky

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is it a factory CH? Does the factory CH work on the right side? if it does just use it and get your money back for the aftermarket boloney....,

Defective carrier? I laugh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Is it a factory CH? Does the factory CH work on the right side? if it does just use it and get your money back for the aftermarket boloney....,

Before you call someones product "bologna" you might want to read the first post of the thread.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Before you call someones product "balogna" you might want to read the first post of the thread.
I did read it and it should still work however the opening varies. There is a tolerance in any manufacturing process that the replacement part should accommodate ( that is the correctly made replacement part). The only way to call a carrier a reject, if you have a drawing and the measurement of a part deviates from what it should be. I highly doubt that this is the case.

And just because they are different measurements does not nesesarly makes the carrier a reject.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts

"The stock charging handle has the same issue."

Reading is
fundamental. You should try it sometime. Lastly, referring to Stryker Enterprises products as lunchmeat shows how ignorant you are.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
I did read it and it should still work however the opening varies. There is a tolerance in any manufacturing process that the replacement part should accommodate ( that is the correctly made replacement part). The only way to call a carrier a reject, if you have a drawing and the measurement of a part deviates from what it should be. I highly doubt that this is the case.

And just because they are different measurements does not nesesarly makes the carrier a reject.

You can't be that​ uneducated. Read the first post. SLOWLY.....

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Might want to read post #9 too.

·
Administrator
12,029 Posts

If you read the thread in its entirety, you would have seen that the issue is not with the charging handle. You referral to one of our vendors as providing bologna is ridiculous and shows your lack of knowledge concerning this subject of the products provided by the vendor who has a stellar reputation when it comes to his products.

Negative comments in regards to our vendors products when such comments are blatantly false is sufficient reason for a small vacation from this forum.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you read the thread in its entirety, you would have seen that the issue is not with the charging handle. You referral to one of our vendors as providing bologna is ridiculous and shows your lack of knowledge concerning this subject of the products provided by the vendor who has a stellar reputation when it comes to his products.

Negative comments in regards to our vendors products when such comments are blatantly false is sufficient reason for a small vacation from this forum.
Sorry if I offended anyone as I did not even know where he purchased the part.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts