FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good place to get cheap, reliable .45 ammo these days? I spent about $75 today to shoot 250 rounds and I'm afraid that might be what I'm going to have spend every time I shoot. I'm afraid to buy wolf ammo as I've heard it can damage the firearm/cause jams bc of lacquer build up over time(this occurs with the green cased ammo). Anyway, where can I get cheap, safe ammo in bulk? There has to be a better deal than $30 per 100 from walmart, aside from reloading ammo on my own. Also, does anyone use the new wolf .45 ammo in their fnp?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Don't know how 45 Wolf will do in FNP45, it won't feed in my Witness but does ok in all my 1911s. Had couple of mags gunk up so bad I had to strip em and clean mess. 9mm won't feed in 3 non-FNs and haven't tried it in my FNP9s. 45s are accurate, dirty, lots of unburn powder to foul things up and lots of split cases. Decided to quite using it. It won't feed in my 380 either. With the internals of FNPs being a little harder to clean than a 1911, don't think I'd want to try it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
33 cents a round

The cheapest I have been able to find is 33cents a round for Sellier & Bellot. I had purchased reloads for 33cents a round from Cabelas and that was considered by them "a deal", so I thought this was quite a deal. I have had great experiences with it with other 45s. There are other deals, but that is the cheapest I have been able to find for new rounds and for reliable ammo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The cheapest ammo I'll feed through my 1911 is Wally-world Winchester White Box. Yeah, it's pricey, but that's .45 for you. With the cost of raw metals and fuel going up like they have been, it's inevitable that ammo goes up too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you considered reloading? With today's escalating prices, it's the only way to go if you want to shoot frequently.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My experience indicates that 'cheap' and 'ammo' are mutually exclusive terms. :(

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
What are the initial costs of getting into reloading? I understand you have to buy the reloader, but what are the costs involved with purchasing dies, bullets, primers, powder and brass. What kind of time is involved in learning the skill?
What would you say to those who have concerns over the dangers of shooting reloaded ammunition? I admit that I'm intrigued by the self sufficiency aspect, but I worry that I would screw up just one round and hurt myself.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Depending on type of reloader, u will probably have to spend $200-500 to get started. Press, dies, powder measure, scales, primers, bullets, powder, &cases are minimums. OAL guage good to have too. Takes a lot of shooting before you start to break even. Safety wise, to me, running thumb over primed case to check for high primers, looking in each case to verify powder charge(& all are at same level), frequently checking powder measure to make sure it's throwing right wgt. of powder, making sure OAL is right for chamber of gun( that can vary by gun), and a good tight roll crimp to prevent bullet setback are all important. I use a 1967 vintage Lyman Spar T turrent press and can turn out 125-150 rds/hr w/everything set up. Don't care for progressive presses because of manually checking each primer before powder charging and looking in each charged case for powder level. Hard to do that w/progressive press but they turn out many more rds/hr than I can. Talked u out of it? :D Following this process, never had a bad rd in 40 yrs of handloading. Quit for a while cause I got tired of it but w/ price of ammo, will probably start back. :(

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Good info. I think if I shot more than I do, I would actually consider it. If ammo prices get much worse, that consideration may grow.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to shoot wolf 9mm out of a Ruger p95..without issue, but honestly wolf is for AK47 not handguns, unless your just plain cheap like me. Sellier is also a good choice, and much better quality. Most of the time now i Just buy the 250 packs of UMC from bass pro for 60 bucks or so and use that, it's a tad dirty..but feeds and goes bang. Golden Saber +P is my choice for carry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts