FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you don't want to read all of the below, just let me state...DO NOT USE CHINESE GREEN LASERS UNLESS YOU VERIFY THEY HAVE AN I.R. FILTER.

OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT WIND UP BLIND!!!!

To my knowledge ALL complete Chinese lasers are DPSS units, because they can without the proper filter release tremendous amounts of I.R. Light (which your eye fails to see) you can quickly go blind!

Now a little history, back in the 1980's the first lasers were marketed for Firearms. They were optical lasers and were VERY heavy, bulky, and expensive. ($4,000 +)

Then in the 1990's a new innovation showed up, Diode based lasers, MUCH cheaper, lighter, and smaller. They were only available in 650 nm output which was a dark red beam. Then towards the late 90's a 635 nm Diode was available. 635 nm produced an Orange-Red beam which the human eye perceived to be 10 times brighter at the same power level.

2000 brought a MAJOR breakthrough, it was discovered if you used a crystal in conjunction with an I.R. Diode you could achieve 535 nm (Bright Green). The DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State) laser was invented. BUT, several issues quickly came to light.

Temperature affected the precision alignment of the crystal so that as the ambient temperature approached 40 degrees +/- the beam dimmed considerably as the unit was mainly now throwing I.R. instead of 535 nm Green.

In addition it was soon discovered that many (most) Chinese manufacturers were failing to install the FDA required I.R. Filters. Being that the conversion of I.R. to 535 nm Green is grossly inefficient these unit are sometimes outputting 10 TIMES AS MUCH I.R. AS VISIBLE GREEN !

Then in 2012 Osram announced they had developed a Native (Direct) Green laser Diode, this should have resulted in the DEATH of the DPSS laser. BUT it didn't, China continues to produce them in huge quantities because they are MUCH CHEAPER than Direct Green diodes.

Now, for my "Buy USA" ad.

To my knowledge ALL U.S. Green laser manufacturers that use DPSS technology also install an effective I.R. Filter. As a matter of fact most U.S. Manufacturers are changing their units to Osram Native Green Diodes which ONLY output 520-535 nm Green! NO I.R.

Do not use Chinese green lasers UNLESS you add a QUALITY I.R. Filter. WHY?

This is a report on testing of Chinese green lasers...

Reflections on IR are virtually not detectable by the human eye...

Class IIIb: Lasers in this class may cause damage if the beam enters the eye directly. This generally applies to lasers powered from 5-500 mW. Lasers in this category can cause permanent eye damage with exposures of 1/100th of a second or less depending on the strength of the laser. A diffuse reflection is generally not hazardous but specular reflections can be just as dangerous as direct exposures. Protective eyewear is recommended when direct beam viewing of Class IIIb lasers may occur.

And when they say "direct beam viewing" they are referring to observing the beam, not looking directly into the laser.

Near-infrared laser beams are much more hazardous than visible light with the same power level, because their radiation is focused to the retina just in the same way as visible light, whereas the blinking reflex of the human eye (normally closing the eye's lid quickly when the intensity is too high) is not active. Also, no warning is possible e.g. through weak stray light: nothing can be seen when a dangerous beam propagates in an unexpected direction.

In December 2009, we purchased three inexpensive, green laser pointers (GLPs) for $15 each. Advertised to produce ‘10mW’ of green light, the common packaging of the devices suggests that they were produced by the same manufacturer, although they carried no traceable trademarks. One of the pointers produced much weaker green light than the other two. We performed quantitative measurements, showing that the weak unit emitted approximately 10 times more invisible IR light than the visible green. Green light activates the eye's blink reflex, which provides a protective mechanism. However, we are completely vulnerable to IR radiation, since exposure to it may only be noticed after significant retinal damage has occurred. After further investigation, we found that this problem is common in low-cost GLPs, although its seriousness varies widely.

The decision is yours the same as whether you want to risk learning to walk by the feel of a white cane.

This report scared the crap out of me on cheap unmodified Chinese lasers.

Look, this is DANGEROUS!

And I've "done" dangerous for years...

I've went into barricaded hostage situations involving an armed felon
I have a Commercial Display Fireworks license and have shot up to 16" shells that weighed 80 pounds
I have been in pursuits on Interstates in excess of 140 miles per hour

BUT I draw the line on Chinese DPSS lasers.

IF you want a SAFE green laser, make sure it's an Osram Native green diode, not a DPSS diode.

I have posted before here that I want an FN Factory P90 laser on my PS90. I plan on going ahead with the project and I do want a Green laser, it WILL be an Osram Native (Direct) Diode installed or it won't happen!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
So I have purchased a couple of GLPs. How is one supposed to go about determining if they are properly filtered or not? They were certainly not in the $15 range, but nor are they in the >1K$ range either. Is there a list somewhere?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up on the IR damage potential. I do controls & instrumentation work and I noticed one device that used IR spectrum over fiber optic cable to communicate, but it bore no warning labels as all laser diode products are required to have. I pointed this out to the client who notified their HSSE group and appropriate warning signs were posted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for posting this information. I have no intention of getting a laser at this time, but I have family members who have considered the option.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Don't count on any laser imported from China complying with the 5mw maximum output either; more power compounds the problem. You can buy IR filters and laser safe safety glasses and there are laser forums that have a wealth of information.

Safety First: Do not stare directly into the laser with your remaining eye.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Yes they are dangerous. STAY AWAY!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could just order the real thing from laserex i got one it only took 4 days to get it in now I just got to install it . Any body done this job yet and got some pics would be a big help

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes what about Red lasers are they safe? I have no idea where mine was manufactured but hopefully I am safe
The reason that MOST Chinese Green Lasers are dangerous is they use a DPSS infrared diode and split the frequency to achieve the green color. In doing so they are dumping quite a bit of dangerous infrared light that your eye can’t see.

Red diodes don’t have the same issues, the diodes output red and not infrared so, yes they are safe.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I have streamlight red lasers only.
Keep in mind that most if not all U.S. manufactured Green Lasers either have the correct I.R. Filter or anymore they are using the Osram Native Green diode which doesn’t emit I.R.

Its illegal to sell high power I.R. Lasers in the U.S. because of the danger of retina/optic nerve damage.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The reason that MOST Chinese Green Lasers are dangerous is they use a DPSS infrared diode and split the frequency to achieve the green color. In doing so they are dumping quite a bit of dangerous infrared light that your eye can’t see.

Red diodes don’t have the same issues, the diodes output red and not infrared so, yes they are safe.
My PS90 I started to regret the purchase when i learned most red dots would sit too high on the rail to be useful. The red dots designed to replace the rail and sit lower were crazy expensive. I only plan on using this for home defense so what I did was I bought a red dot/flashlight combo that sits right on top of my rail and all I Have to do is flick it on and I don't have to aim at all. Just put the red dot 2" for holdover. It only cost me $100 as opposed to $439 for a ring sight with battery backup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts