FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic is for PS90 Triple Rail owners looking for a cheap but functional optic or scope. I suppose tops on the list would be the freebie C-More Reflex sight, as you can't beat free. However, I don't have mine yet and can't evaluate/review it. But I did find a low cost but fully featured scope that I highly recommend.

http://www.ncstar.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=36

NcSTAR Mark III Tactical Scope 2-7x32 "P4 Sniper" #STP2723G
Variable magnification 2X-7X
32mm objective
Sniper cross hair ranging reticle
Variable intensity red or green illumination of reticle
Coated lens
Range dial (for .223)
Quick release mount
2.9" eye relief
Compact size

I paid $139 out the door, but have seen it for $115 online but you would have to pay shipping and maybe tax. I like trying out scopes, so checking it out before paying a little more was worth it to me.

First of all it looks the part with its compact size, over-sized objective, and an ACOG-like slant on the sun shade. It adds to the top profile for more of a sniper look than a busting-down-the-door look. The scope fits the PS90TR very well with its compact size and eye relief. I have it set back one notch before the rearmost notch on the rail so there is some leeway. Cheek weld is excellent, not too high or too low.

The magnification is fantastic if you have aging eyes like me. Even if you don't need the magnification for aiming (I do), the magnification allows you to see the tiny 5.7 holes in the target downrange. With the mag turned up to 4X I wwas able to shoot several one hole clover leaf 3 shot groups at 25 yards (maximum distance at my indoor range). And I could varify the cluster without having to draw the target back. The over-sized 32mm objective gather lots of light with a huge field of view. The sight picture is so much better than the white or black reticle PS90 optics.

With the illumination turned off, the reticle is a sharp black standard ranging cross hair that I use 90% of the time. You can also turn the reticle illumination on in either red or green for a very high tech sight picture. It uses a standard lithium CR2032 flat battery size. One lithium battery comes already installed and another is supplied as a spare. The seller said the batteries last a very very long time, as long as you remember to turn the power of before storing the gun. The illumination is very bright and I never have to crank it above the lowest of three settings. By the time you have to crank up the intesity, I imagine it would be a good indication that you need to change battery. The battery is under the intensity dial cap on the left side; changing the battery would less than 30 seconds. The beauty of it is that it works like a normal tube scope with a crisp black cross hair reticle when there is no power, so no back up sight is needed. Again, most of the time I don't have the power turned on when shooting as the unilluminated reticle offers plenty of sharp contrast.

The quick release mount is excellent and works like a bicycle wheel quick release. The cam and long lever can exert plenty of leverage for a secure hold, in fact the manual says that it should not take a lot of force for a secure hold. With recoil, the cross rod on the mount will settle against the back of the notch you select, so it is best to clamp the scope so it rests against the rear of the rail notch. the quick release has a set screw and lock nut to hold your tension setting. Follow the instructions carefull to set it properly and to avoid stripping the screw/nut. If you have doubts about the strength of a quick release, know that quick release levers on the hubs of bicycles can easily support a 250 lbs rider hitting pot holes without the wheel slipping. You might dent a rim, but the wheel will not slip in the fork.

Warning: because of the swing out quick release lever, I don't think this scope will work with a standard PS90 (non-triple rail) with TROS rail.

The great thing about the quick release is that it holds zero. After I sighted in, I decided the move the scope one notch on the rail for better eye relief. With the quick release feature this only took 5 seconds. I expected to have to adjust zero, but the next group was another one hole group dead center on the bull's eye.

The scope can be zeroed with no tools. There is a cap on the elevation adjustment that comes off with a coin. The adjustment itself can be done by hand. There is dialable bullet drop compensator (100-500 yards) on the outer cover of the elevation adjustment that is nice, but is set for .223 so it may have limited use for the 5.7 round. Once you set the windage, you can use an allen wrench to remove its cover and rotate the cover to zero. That way you can tell at a glance if it has been turned and can set it back to zero easily.

So for a bargain basement price, this low cost scope has lots of features and allows me to shoot some very tight groups with my PS90 TR. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sharks with Laser Beams

Here is a photo of my PS90 Triple rail with my cheap but effective NcSTAR 2-7X32 "P4 Sniper" scope with lighted reticle on the top rail, LaserMax (red) on the left side rail, and Moerse Lekker barrel shroud (which I just received and installed today).

The LaserMax is not very tall and I wanted so much to fit it under the objective end of the scope on the top rail, but it was just a little too tall. The LaserMax actually works pretty well on the left side rail as I can reach the "on" switch with my off hand thumb. The scope is sighted in for 25 yards, but I have not test fired or readjusted for zero since adding the shroud or laser (I doubt the bullet impact is going to change), but I did line up the Laser with the scope's reticle. To lessen the parallax problem of having a side mounted laser, I have the laser point 3/4" to the left of the crosshair center at 25 yards. I can illuminate the scope reticle with either red or green. With the red laser and the green reticle in high contrast, it is Santa's worst nightmare.

The barrel shroud is a quality item and worth the price, but I have yet to test fire. It fits well and mounts solidly. It comes supplied with two brass mounting screws. The soft brass is designed to secure the shroud once with fiirm torque and the other screw is for a spare. At first I thought it was not tightening, until I remembered that the barrel has rotatory play with the receiver. The brass attaching screw is at the reciever end of the shroud. I think the muzzle end of the shroud is designed to "float" on the flash suppressor. The shroud gives the front end much better proportions, as I think we can all agree.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I test fired with the new laser and new barrel shroud. The shroud is light weight aluminum, but it does effect the barrel dynamics slightly. I had to rezero, but only a very small amount. The Lasermax, having a plastic body and mount, is not as rigidly fixed as the scope. But after settling in, it held it's adjustment fairly well. The laser is a short range aiming device, and for that purpose it works very well. It does wash out a bit in bright sun light beyond 50 yards. Indoors it is very bright and clearly visible. There is a green LaserMax for 3 times the price that supposedly performs better outdoors at distance.

I shot both SS195LF (hollow point, white box) and SS197SR (blue tip, blue box) with no significant change in POI at 25 yards. However, the faster SS195LF round will shoot flatter out at 100 yards. The SS195LF was a tad more accurate, whereas the SS197SR had softer recoil and was quieter.

I sighted in the scope for zero at 25 yards and set the LaserMax at the same elevation and 3/4" to the left to reduce the parallax effect, since the laser is mounted on the left 1" lateral to the bore axis. If I lined up the laser to be dead on at 25 yards, it would point well off to the right at 100 yards.

Using the laser as a 25 yard elevation reference, I calculated that 25 clockwise "down" clicks would shift the POI down 2" at 25 yards for theoretical zero at 100 yards (using the faster SS195LF round). The laser being zeroed for elevation at 25 yards will tell me whether I am set for 25 or 100 yards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts