FN Herstal Firearms banner

181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I must contradict Copperjack, I have some metal magazines that bent out part would snag the bolt catch, they are also easy to fix by bending the edge outward. My advise, check all your magaznes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just fixed a test case mag and ended up removing more material than I expected. I did the work incrementally, testing as I went so it was indeed minimally invasive surgery so to speak.

Is there any reason to not go ahead and modify all my P-mags? I could modify & mark a select group of mags but I'd feel better if all were interchangeable with my AR's. Has anyone had any issues post-modification?

·
Registered
602 Posts
My gen 3 pmags all raise the bolt catch as does my OEM magazine. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just got a SCAR 16 and was checking all my mags. To my surprise my polymer HK mags are all good to go as is. My Pmags and Emags need to be modified though. I currently have 9 HK mags, and might just stock up on them instead. At 20 bucks they are a pretty good deal, especially if I can run them as is in my SCAR and HK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
17S here with factory FNH mags and factory lower, I noticed the same issue with loaded mags. At first I thought it was a just a sticky\dirty catch pivot but any pressure on the magazine towards the right side of the receiver (odd bracing, etc.) and the catch would never fully drop. This was the case with all 5 mags, some more than others.

I shaved off about 1mm or so from each mag (same place as OP) until the catch would freely seat even with the mag held firm to the right side of the receiver. I don't recall any feed\bolt closing failures but better safe than sorry.

catch.png

·
Registered
211 Posts
Probably discussed earlier, but a dremel makes it easy to get into trouble. Disassemble the mag, take the lower group off the rifle. Then use a flat file to remove material from the mag, testing fit regularly. Once you get the first one done it's easier to mk1 eyeball the others you trim down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have the original pictures posted by the OP? I'm trying to get a visual on this as I have a lot of mags pre SCAR purchase and what to make sure they will work without possible damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up 5 new sand colored G3 PMags and have had failures with all 5 mags. I checked and all 5 will need to be modified which is frustrating since the issue was supposed to be fixed. I also pick up 7 polymer HK mags and I am having issues with the bolt not locking back on empty mags. Anyone have experience with this issue?

·
Registered
609 Posts
My fix on my 16s was to modify the bolt catch making it a bit thinner. Only thing its hitting is plastic follower i doubt its going to break. I did order a just in case spare from midwest gunworks.

View attachment 88833

No idea why my pics are attachments instead of embeds

I used a bench grinder and then a file after i got close.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Noob here. Is there any chance or way for the photos in the very first post to be found and reposted for us coming late to this party? Thank you.
View attachment 96114 View attachment 96122
This is the best i can do. The bolt catch is offset instead of centered like AR pattern rifles. Some of the plastic mags like the gen 2 PMag have a sharp V notch instead of a squared notch like milspec mags. the offset catch hangs up the on the V notch holding it up enough to rub on the bolt carrier. Take any of your plastic mags, load it with one round, pull your trigger module insert the mag and see if the catch sticks up or not. If it does simply file one side of the notch square and you're good to go. Or stick with metal mags with the square notch and don't worry about it. DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0024.jpg

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Remove your trigger module, or lower as some refer to it. Take one of your Pmags. Insert one round in it. Insert in the magewell until seated. Look at your bolt catch. If it's flush to the the trigger module you're good to go. If it sticks up noticeably simply file the left side of the notch as you are looking at it and try it again. No need to over think it.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Or get the Lancer tan mags and stop worrying about it.

Lancer mags are true STANAG with the square cut in the back.

I apologize for beating a dead horse. I just got some of Magpul Gen 3 Windowed mags in their new darker tan/flat dark earth and think they would look great with the FDE SCAR 16, but I'm leery of them now wondering if they would work ok. And for that matter are Magpuls "better" than the SCAR steel mags? Would appreciate thoughts on this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
NEWBIE that just got his 16s and 2 MAGPUL P-MAG, GEN2 magazines. Both mags seem to insert okay. However, they do not drop easily. I have to pull out the mags using a small amount of effort. The single FN mag does seem to go in a bit easier and drops easily once mag released is pushed. Gravity is enough.

Sorry. Cannot see the photos on the first posting. I asked on the SITE HELP AND SUPPORT area and they informed me that PHOTOBUCKET was no charge and now charges a fee. This weekend, i will have more time to take a part my 16s and try to figure out the issue that is raised here. I would love to see a picture of the before/after mods on the mags. It appears that a FN mag has a squared off opening on PRIMER side of the mag. The P-MAGs have a "u" shaped opening.

Does this youtube describe the same problem and correct solution? --->

I will try and return the mags (same store that sells FN SCAR 16s) and try to get better ones. So...what are acceptable mags that do not need modifications short of FN mags?

Thanx for any assistance/guidance you offer.

181 - 200 of 207 Posts