FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my scar 17 last week and went to the range on the weekend to try it out for the first time. I love the rifle and the accuracy but I got beat up on my cheek from the extended stock. Has anyone experienced this and any idea of getting the cheek pad to cover the stock ?

·
Registered
169 Posts
It seems like it might be more a matter of technique (not knowing your shooting style/experience). Even without the stock muzzlebrake my 17 is very manageable. Is your cheek actually on the extended portion of the stock, if so, close it up until your cheek is on the actual rest. I like shooting with the rest in the down position, however my friends like it in the up position; try both. It's important to note that if you're not firmly holding the rifle into your shoulder, even a .223 will beat you up after awhile. Keep it tight into your shoulder pocket, and your cheek consistently in the same spot on the rest, this might help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LVlawdawg
Since my Nikon scope is mounted right in front of the rifle's real sight and I do rest half way between the actual rest and the extended portion of the stock. If I rest on the actual portion of the stock then my eyes are really close to the scope. I shoot a lot with my M1A and the recoil is much stronger than the scar but I didn't get beat up with the M1A.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
I picked up my scar 17 last week and went to the range on the weekend to try it out for the first time. I love the rifle and the accuracy but I got beat up on my cheek from the extended stock. Has anyone experienced this and any idea of getting the cheek pad to cover the stock ?
Nope. No issues here. I've been slapped by so many women over the years, the nerves on my face are numb.

-SS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Use support hand to pull the rifle in a little tighter and don't put much pressure on cheek riser.
Mine smacks me more when trying to sight in and stuff when I ease up a lot with support hand.
Also, if standing, try moving butt pad a little closer to the centerline of your body to help absorb recoil with your body and not your face.
So yeah, technique and more technique depending on if standing/laying long/short range.

·
Registered
669 Posts
LVlawdawg
Since my Nikon scope is mounted right in front of the rifle's real sight and I do rest half way between the actual rest and the extended portion of the stock. If I rest on the actual portion of the stock then my eyes are really close to the scope. I shoot a lot with my M1A and the recoil is much stronger than the scar but I didn't get beat up with the M1A.

Adjust the stock to fit you properly- adjustment 3 fits me
Set up the scope eye relief to fit you from there
your face should be on the rest for comfort

·
Registered
465 Posts
LVlawdawg
Why dont you try moving the optic forward and collapsing rhe stock a bit more to match? You shouldn't have to rest your cheek between the comb and extending part of the stock.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Be glad you're not a lefty. I get the hook that locks the buttstock folded right in my cheek. I'm considering dremeling it out. I tried adding some foam, and some leather but never got comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts