FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have a dilemma.
I bought the FNX-40 not to long ago and I am going through the break in process. So far, I have put about 100 rounds of 40S&W 180gr through the pistol. I did an initial cleaning and lubrication before firing for the first time, so there is no preservative grease left. After shooting, I did a quick cleaning with a boresnake and wiped down whatever I could reach without taking the gun down.
I have heard rumors that disassembling your pistol (for cleaning) before it is fully broken in can be hard on the gun and could harm the fit between parts. How long should I wait before a full take-down and thorough cleaning? Should I wait at all?
What do you think?

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Clean it whenever you want. I have never heard that cleaning any gun during break in will cause ill effects. I would actually expect the opposite (decreased chance of some sort of grit to cause uneven wear/mating of parts).

I typically clean my pistols every 200-300 rounds (or more if I shoot more in a single outing)

·
Registered
469 Posts
^^^^ I agree and clean and lube my pistols every 2-300 rounds. I do, however, break in my new precision rifle barrels by cleaning the bore and chamber after every 2-3 shots for the first 20-30 rounds depending on how quickly the patches come out clean (usually 5-7). Then only clean those every 2-300 rounds or when accuracy starts to fade. I do lube the both and mop the chamber in between bore cleaning with a 20 ga shotgun mop when the both starts to become sticky. Everyone has their own receipt, but always use a good bore guide on rifles and never use any kind of brush. Has always worked great for me and quick and easy.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I field strip the weapon after I buy it. (Brand new or used) inspect , clean , lube everything. The go have fun at the range. Then do it again. Just switched to froglube though so cleaning time will go way down.

Never heard of taking apart a weapon before breaking it in is bad. Sounds almost silly actually.

·
Premium Member
9,617 Posts
I've never heard anything about not taking a gun apart before break in. The first thing I do when I get any new firearm is strip it down...first to give is a good cleaning and second to familiarize myself with a new gun. After that I run a boresnake after every range visit and do a thorough cleaning every couple of times...or when ever I get bored. Whatever comes first. Lately my guns are squeaky clean.

Reactions: LESTER

·
Registered
166 Posts
I clean mine too much if there's such a thing. Usually a semi-auto handgun takes me about an hour and 45 minutes. I don't rush it but I get every nook and cranny with all the usual cleaning items and Q-tips and rough texture pipe cleaners. With the exception of a few heat marks on the stainless guns it's hard to tell they're not new. I know about Frog-Lube and someday I might try it out but I'm an old fashioned purist and it'll take some arm twisting.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I clean mine too much if there's such a thing. Usually a semi-auto handgun takes me about an hour and 45 minutes. I don't rush it but I get every nook and cranny with all the usual cleaning items and Q-tips and rough texture pipe cleaners. With the exception of a few heat marks on the stainless guns it's hard to tell they're not new. I know about Frog-Lube and someday I might try it out but I'm an old fashioned purist and it'll take some arm twisting.
Get the damn frog lube!!

Yea I think I pull a different gun out every Friday and break it down. After long week of work. Cold beer, gun. Smell of hoppes (now wintergreeny froglube) and relax.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Get the damn frog lube!! Yea I think I pull a different gun out every Friday and break it down. After long week of work. Cold beer, gun. Smell of hoppes (now wintergreeny froglube) and relax.
You know, you may be right. There are other things I could do instead of spending so much time cleaning the guns. Because of the time involved I only shoot one gun at a time nowadays. My Mini-14 takes me about 2 and a half hours to clean because of the dang gas block which never comes fully clean. QUESTION: After shooting, can I use something like brake cleaner like I do now and the grit will just melt away? Or will it remove the Frog Lube too?

·
Registered
103 Posts
They recommend not using other cleaners when you start using Frog Lube. I've been using it for about four months on all of my guns and I love it. I don't even have to use bore brushes to clean out my pistol barrels anymore. Just a few wetted patches.

·
Registered
317 Posts
FWIW, the only weapon I ever owned that cautioned against takedown is my Springfield M1a Nat. Match. And the caution is for the stock to not be removed except when absolutely required, due to the very tight fit of the action to the stock. Since you can't get the stock off, you cant take the op rod off, nor the bolt out, but... everything is pretty much accessble

·
Registered
166 Posts
They recommend not using other cleaners when you start using Frog Lube. I've been using it for about four months on all of my guns and I love it. I don't even have to use bore brushes to clean out my pistol barrels anymore. Just a few wetted patches.
Thanks for the info. What do "wet" the patches with?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for the info. What do "wet" the patches with?
Nothing. With frog lube, if applied properly you will never have to "clean it again"
And when I say clean a lot of us here no what I really mean. Frog lube repells and dissolves just about anything except for casing shards. Carbon dissolves in contact etc. Only cleaning required is a quick wipe with a micro fiber towel. Clean the bore with DRY patches. And good to go. Relube every once in a while. But you have to do it properly

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nothing. With frog lube, if applied properly you will never have to "clean it again"
And when I say clean a lot of us here no what I really mean. Frog lube repells and dissolves just about anything except for casing shards. Carbon dissolves in contact etc. Only cleaning required is a quick wipe with a micro fiber towel. Clean the bore with DRY patches. And good to go. Relube every once in a while. But you have to do it properly
Thanks. I've been hearing good about it for a long time. Are the application directions well written and easy to do?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah. I heat the gun with a blow dryer and slather the frog lube on all of the metal parts. I think some people use it on plastic parts as well. Then leave it on there for a while and go about my day. Come back later, wipe it off ... All done.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Any application video on YouTube will teach you how to do it.

FIRST AND FOREMOST, CLEAN ALL OLD SOLVENTS, LUBES, OILS FROM WEAPON (use alcohol, simple green or frog lube solvent to do this) UNTIL COMPLETELY DRY AND CLEAN.

1: field strip weapon
2: heat pieces with hair dryer or heat gun until hot to touch
3: apply frog lube to ALL components outside and in. It won't hurt polymer it won't hurt finish. Just wipe off excess from polymer and sights.
4: let stand and dry for one hour.
5: repeat. (As many times as you want, the more you use it the more you don't need to)
6: reassemble
7: shoot.

Its time consuming the first time after that not so bad.
Cool facts about it. Made in USA, by a navy seal. It is environmentally friendly, its USDA approved. Plant based not petrol based (so can use indoors around d kids, family without killing brain cells) and has a nice wintergreen fragrance.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I heard its good to use for a ChapStick as well. But like I said its USDA approved so I this not harmful in anyway to the human body.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think I'm getting closer to biting the bullet and cracking another tooth. Like I said, I've been aware of it since it's been out and haven't heard anything bad about it and it's been around long enough that if it were a problem we would know by now. How about long term storage in a safe? Any need to apply anything to protect the gun? I live in too hot SW Florida and getting the gun hot before application would be easy, just put in the sun for awhile.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Nope. If you apply like stated above it is good for any condition. Keeps fro. Rust I g and can fire in any weatherr condition including sandstorms.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts