FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helped my buddy clean his new scar 17s black today . . . (he only paid 3300 at a local VA dealer about a week or two ago! Lucky him).

Anyway, we opened up the extractor/spring to clean (yes, its a PITA and takes some practice) and found several copper/metal shavings in there, most likely from the factory machining. Cleaned it up and re-assembled.

Just thought I'd pass that along if anyone wants to get in there and clean.

·
Premium Member
25,418 Posts
Helped my buddy clean his new scar 17s black today . . . (he only paid 3300 at a local VA dealer about a week or two ago! Lucky him).

Anyway, we opened up the extractor/spring to clean (yes, its a PITA and takes some practice) and found several copper/metal shavings in there, most likely from the factory machining. Cleaned it up and re-assembled.

Just thought I'd pass that along if anyone wants to get in there and clean.
It was not copper. It was brass from the case as it's deposited there during the test fire of the weapon and would not impede the proper function of the weapon.

On another note, you guys realize the extractor axis pin retaining ring is a one time use item, right?

-SS

·
Registered
34 Posts
It was not copper. It was brass from the case as it's deposited there during the test fire of the weapon and would not impede the proper function of the weapon.

On another note, you guys realize the extractor axis pin retaining ring is a one time use item, right?

-SS
Can you please elaborate on the extractor axis pin "one time use" .. I will be receiving my Scar 17s tomorrow morning and will bring it home and clean it.. Just need to know if this is something i need to buy another one of..

if this is a noob question please forgive I am learning..

thank you in advance

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for the information.

I have been reading a lot about what to clean for the initial cleaning before I shoot it for the first time and I am finding conflicting stories..

I understand they factory ship with "extra" lube/oil for protection but I am not sure where EXACTLY I need to clean this off of.. I have been using the "search" function but it is hard to discern between personal opinions and manufacturer recommendations or facts..

any help on this would be appreciated.. I dont want to mess something up on the first pull due to my inability to properly clean my rifle the first time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just re-used the ring, if you take it off carefully it doesn't seem to impact function.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts