FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of cleaning products do most FN users like? I like using the Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber in a can. It does a good job of getting rid of powder, but leaves my pistol looking white i.e. the slide. I take care of that with the silicone cloth that came with a Hoppe's cleaning kit. Followed by a littel bit of Hoppe's oil, on most moving metal to metal parts. I also have a can of Smith & Wesson's Synthetic-Safe Bore & Action Cleaner I haven't tried yet. Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I start with foaming bore cleaner in the barrel, then I scrub the barrel, slide and all metal parts with brake cleaner. For Polymer frames I use Slip 2000 cleaner which gets sprayed on and soaks for about a half hour. Then I scrub the dirty parts and rinse it off with the hottest water I can so it evaporates a little quicker. I blow all my parts off with compressed air and oil well with slip 2000 lube.

Thats pretty much how I do my pistols. I have a different routine for my rifles depending on the type.

AR type rifles don't get the foamy bore cleaner because it can creep up through the gas port and eventually clog up your gas tube.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i wet the bore with no.10 before i leave the range, or hoppe's elite which is non toxic but works pretty good. When i get home i use gun scrubber and brush the slide good, sometimes will q tip the rail..not always depends how lazy iam. let that set for a min, then scrub it out with brush again.

i brush the bore out a couple of times, then use no.10..then switch to nylon with some copper remover either kleenbore or butchs bore shine..i don't always do this though, only every 500 rounds or more. try it good..then CLP most parts..and put eezox down the bore lightly. Sometimes i will use eezox for the whole gun. I have a couple of other lubes i will use when i feel like it, tetra lube/grease, or just plain old outter's or rem oil..jsut depends.

eezox is good stuff though for bores, it helps reduce build up of all kinds if you use it enough..and is a dry lube. CLP goes well with it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cooter said:
I start with foaming bore cleaner in the barrel, then I scrub the barrel, slide and all metal parts with brake cleaner.

Cooter I'm new to the pistol world, However I do work on cars all the time...

Brake cleaner is one of the most most corrosive cleaners out there, I don't even use it on brake rotors/pads... unless a friend drives a POS and they don't give a damn and just want that lil squeak to go away.

So I would never in the world use it on my pistols... how long have you been doing this?

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
I believe "non chlorinated" brake cleaned is similar to gun scrubber. Hope U are using the right onw. I'd rather just use gun scrubber, if that is what I am going to use...

I only use CLP for my regular cleaning. Every once in a blue moon will I use gun scrubber.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Anyone have any trouble getting carbon off the right side of the feed ramp on the FNP? If so, how do you scrub it off without scratching it? Most of it comes off, but I still get a good line of build up there for some reason.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner and I have yet to have a problem. Then again, I lube my firearms afterwards. I wrenched on cars for a living for a few years and the only thing that I really saw brake cleaner do damage to was plastic. But this was some pretty harsh stuff we were using too.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I haven't used paper towels before i use towels, cleaning patches, hopps and rem oil and its works great for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts